Wedding Dress won't zip it up, Motivators add me up

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    At least buy them to fit. Then if you DO lose weight, they can be taken in easily. You can't really "let out" a bridal gown.

I do not understand the thought process that goes into buying a $5000 dress that doesn't fit.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I bought my wedding dress almost a year ago, we are getting married this june(haven't tried the dress on lately but haven't gained weight since i bought it) started mfp on 03/12/2013 and am slowly losing....my fear at the moment is that my dress will be too big! lol i never thought i would say that in a million years, maybe when i get home tonight i should pull it out and try it on?? hmmm...just maybe....feel free to add me as a friend, so we can all look beautiful on our wedding days!

try it on ASAP, and go see a seamstress
    they can perform miracles, but they can't do it in less a month usually!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    At least buy them to fit. Then if you DO lose weight, they can be taken in easily. You can't really "let out" a bridal gown.

I do not understand the thought process that goes into buying a $5000 dress that doesn't fit.

You can depending on the style. It just looks ridiculous. My whale of a sister in law spent $1200 on a gown then packed on 50 pounds. But she's an a-hole so I expected nothing less
  • TigressPat
    Options

you can actually let out a gown, almost all of them do have a one inch seam allowance on both side seams and another inch or so at the zip area.
    However, this is considerably harder than taking in a gown usually, and there's a limit to how much you can let it out.

usually when you buy it from a bridal shop/salon they measure and actually buy bigger than you need (by using your highest measurement and rounding up). sometimes the gowns come in and are quite a lot bigger than you expected.
    it's pretty much a give that all bridal gowns will have to be tailored for a perfect fit, very few women can wear anything right off the rack.

still, I agree, there's no sense in buying something too small, especially when that something is hugely expensive, and will only be worn once on a specific date and for an occasion where you really do want to look your best and don;t need any more stress!
  • TigressPat
    Options

You can depending on the style. It just looks ridiculous. My whale of a sister in law spent $1200 on a gown then packed on 50 pounds. But she's an a-hole so I expected nothing less

that's not letting it out so much as adding panels.

you can let out most gowns about 2 inches without it showing.
    if you pack on 50lbs, the seamstress has to add extra fabric panels (which never match all that well!).

if you only need an inch or two though in one area and not everywhere, then ordering a size down is perfectly acceptable.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

I personally do not understand the thought process that goes into buying a $5000 dress, period. But to each their own :wink:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    And what's the point of losing weight for a wedding? What happens after the wedding?

simple answer to "what's the point?"... PICTURES!!! plus everyone is going to be looking at the bride, she's the center of attention.

of course that isn't the best reason to lose weight and be healthy, but it is the reason for the pre-wedding diet.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    And what's the point of losing weight for a wedding? What happens after the wedding?

simple answer to "what's the point?"... PICTURES!!! plus everyone is going to be looking at the bride, she's the center of attention.

of course that isn't the best reason to lose weight and be healthy, but it is the reason for the pre-wedding diet.

nods and thinks of Bridezilla

I always wonder if depression sets in as soon as the "biggest day of my life" is over?
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am recently married (3/29/13)

Although we did not have a long engagement or long planning process for our wedding, I would also recommend going to a seamstress or the store you bought it from if you are having any problems with the fit.

They can work miracles! I bought my wedding dress barely 3 weeks before my wedding and it was ready in time (they have to do some major alterations). The dress I wanted was only available in a size 6 and 14. Of course I was a size 8 in a wedding dress. I bought the size 14 and they altered it to fit me (cut out a lot of the dress).

Personal opinion, get healthy and fit for you, not a wedding. That way you are more likely to stick to your plan after the wedding is over :)

Good luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Six months is plenty of time, but you didn't say how much weight you need to lose. But either way, you can make a lot of progress in 6 months. I killed in my first 6 months on MFP.

But I do have two questions:

How come women just don't buy a dress that fits? Wouldn't that be easier?

I got one word for you, brother: shortsightedness.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    i got married on June 23rd last year and put on around 10lb between buying my dress and it arriving.

I lost most of it but was still bigger right up to the last couple of weeks and then the stress got to me and I ended up losing about 3lb in the last week just from not being too busy to eat!

6 months is ok though - you've got this one covered!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

if you pack on 50lbs, the seamstress has to add extra fabric panels (which never match all that well!).

if you only need an inch or two though in one area and not everywhere, then ordering a size down is perfectly acceptable.

She did have panels. And it did look stupid. Just like her...

Can you tell I despise her?!
  • TigressPat
    Options

She did have panels. And it did look stupid. Just like her...

Can you tell I despise her?!

it's just slightly obvious!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I read your post and wanted to share with you the secret to my current and (hopefully) future weightloss goals...it's called Zija. Made up from Moringa Oleifera..the MOST nutritious tree known to man. It won Plant of the Year award and is seriously awesome!! Not only does it aid in weightloss, but it has over 90+ VERIFIABLE nutrients including essential amino acids, anitoxidants, anti-inflammartories, vitamins and minerals...plus WAY more! I have lost a TON of weight on this and I love it because it is 100% ORGANIC...no fillers or DMAA's. I cannot say enough AWESOME things about Zija.
    Check out these studies and websites:
    Joh Hopkins Study
    [snipped a link]

[snipped the spam]

Hey Liz, am I able to purchase this miracle supplement at the website you posted? I sure hope so.

ETA: Good luck, OP. Six months is a decent amount of time (although you didn't say how much you needed to lose in those six months). However, start now. You don't want to be making a similar post in a couple of months where you only have four months to do it.

And I still say that brides be crazy.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to go dress shopping soon. But I haven't been brave enough to do it yet. I'll motivate :)
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in May and went to a place that carries european wedding dresses. I am a 8-10 US right now and she ordered me a 14 euro size. Even though I told her I was going to get smaller ,shae said buy the dress that FITS when you try it on because it can always be taken in. Adding it it can be difficult depending on the dress. Mine is a french lace mermaid, allure, and adding fabric is very difficult. You can do this! 6 months is plenty of time to lose the weight you put on, plus some! Good luck!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in May and went to a place that carries european wedding dresses. I am a 8-10 US right now and she ordered me a 14 euro size. Even though I told her I was going to get smaller ,shae said buy the dress that FITS when you try it on because it can always be taken in. Adding it it can be difficult depending on the dress. Mine is a french lace mermaid, allure, and adding fabric is very difficult. You can do this! 6 months is plenty of time to lose the weight you put on, plus some! Good luck!

after doing some googling, i realized I can add a corset to the back of my dress IN THE EVENT that it won't fit me. but I am determined that it will!!!!!!!!!
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    im getting married next year in august... is this a normal practise then to order one thats a size smaller?! i havent even started looking at gowns yet.

No. Do not order smaller.

You have til next August so you don't need to buy yet anyway.

But do not buy smaller. Buy the size you are at the time you're ready to purchase.

You can always take material out to make it smaller. You can't add material to make it bigger.

They can usually be "let out" but not by a lot.

Example - My wedding dress was a size 8 but because of my pear shape the bottom part needed to be closer to a ten so it was let out just slightly at the midpoint. (this was 13 years ago, btw, not recent). But if I'd bought the 8 and then was at a full 10-12 by the time of alterations I might have had a problem. It will also depend upon the style and cut as to how much "letting out" can take place, so no, do not by smaller just because you "hope to be" a certain size by the time of the wedding.

I'm going wedding dress shopping again now, and I decided to wait until I took some of my extra pounds off first. Everyone wants to know why I don't have a dress yet and some people are giving me a lot of hell for it (getting married next month, 5/18). Because screw off, that's why. I didn't even want to think about trying anything ON until I took a few pounds off because that would just make me upset and frustrated.

I'm looking better and feeling better now though, so I'm dress shopping this weekend.
  • TigressPat
    Options

after doing some googling, i realized I can add a corset to the back of my dress IN THE EVENT that it won't fit me. but I am determined that it will!!!!!!!!!

you can, but it's expensive and looks awkward.
    it often ruins the lines of the dress.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Okay so in x weeks you fit into the dress, then what?