Ladies only please, <3

Options
SO.. Have a question.
It's my "time of the month" (sorry for details) and I have come to the fact that no matter how many 'sleeping medication' I take, warm showers, or warm glass of milk I drink, I'm only ever going to get 3-4 hours of sleep a night. The weird thing is I feel like I've slept a normal amount of time, like 8 hours. So I don't feel sluggish..

What my question is.. Even with the lack of sleep I get, should I work out? I already know eating right and drinking PLENTY of water is a must, but I just hate to lose a workout day. =/

If I should workout, What workouts do you recommend? I normally do Shaun T- Hip Hop Abs now combined with some strength training / various workouts Jillian Michaels style..

Replies

• baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I might not be the optimal person the answer your question. I haven't had a period in years. Been on Depo Provera since I was... 16, I believe, and it eliminates periods. However, I did just start taking the pill again so they will most certainly be back... Most likely with a vengeance!

In my personal opinion, I would take it easier on your period days. Maybe take a brisk 30 minute walk outside instead of doing intense cardio. That way you're not cheating yourself out of a workout, but you're not over exhausting yourself. I've struggled with insomnia for years and I know that just because you don't FEEL tired doesn't mean your BODY isn't tired. I wouldn't stop working out all together, but I would take it a bit easier.

That's just my opinion. :)
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you feel ok to work out then do it. I so Insanity 7 days a week, including during that time. If I feel a bit off I work out anyways and usually feel better. Just a thought....but if you work out your body might be more "tired" and perhaps you will sleep better? I'd also up the protein on those days and perhaps stop drinking fluids a few hours before bed so you don't have to get up to pee.

Good luck.....I'm sure it will be a trial and error for a bit but you seem committed to figure it out!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Just got done with aunt flow - I had to take the cardio a tiny bit easier, jogging/jump rope felt like death - Maybe just focus on strength training this week? :)
  • Jessastar
    Jessastar Posts: 234
    Options
    @Bailey; I would love to take a brisk walk outside, unfortunately it's pouring like no tomorrow..doesn't really help the uncoordinated. :)

But thank you for the help none the less! I'll take it into consideration to modify some exercises. :)
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat now but still working out. If you feel ok then absolutely no reason not to work out while you have it.
    If you're doubled over in cramps then I'd cut it back but I actually find my cramps are gone now that I've been exercising.
  • Jessastar
    Options
    Just got done with aunt flow - I had to take the cardio a tiny bit easier, jogging/jump rope felt like death - Maybe just focus on strength training this week? :)

Any good results from it?
    Thanks for your feedback. :) I'll take it into consideration!
  • Jessastar
    Options
    If you feel ok to work out then do it. I so Insanity 7 days a week, including during that time. If I feel a bit off I work out anyways and usually feel better. Just a thought....but if you work out your body might be more "tired" and perhaps you will sleep better? I'd also up the protein on those days and perhaps stop drinking fluids a few hours before bed so you don't have to get up to pee.

Good luck.....I'm sure it will be a trial and error for a bit but you seem committed to figure it out!

How is Insanity? Isn't that from Shaun T too? He's super funny! Did you have any great results from Insanity?

Thanks, I have been drinking fluids before bed so I should probably cut down. :) That's a good thought though... hopefully it'll work. :)
  • Jessastar
    Options
    I'm in the same boat now but still working out. If you feel ok then absolutely no reason not to work out while you have it.
    If you're doubled over in cramps then I'd cut it back but I actually find my cramps are gone now that I've been exercising.

Are there any workouts you recommend to decrease cramps? Some exercises I do end up making it worse.. =/
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options

How is Insanity? Isn't that from Shaun T too? He's super funny! Did you have any great results from Insanity?

Thanks, I have been drinking fluids before bed so I should probably cut down. :) That's a good thought though... hopefully it'll work. :)

Insanity is with Shaun T....amazing and very motivating!!! I am addicted (hence the 7 days a week). Results are amazing!!! I have lost 2 inches on my waist, 3 on my hips and the body fat has dropped 5.5%. I feel great and am pumped to do another round (I finish the first round Monday of next week). I would HIGHLY recommend it!!!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Unless you have issues with dizziness or something like that there is not reason to not work out just because you are on your period.
  • rachellefitz
    Options
    I just had this issue yesterday, (2nd day of it) I drank at least a gallon of water during the day then went to a boxing work out class. I felt so much better after working out than I did all day. I might be weird but definitely see how you feel and only do what you feel comfortable with. I personally wouldn't recommend any ab work :flowerforyou:
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I force myself to work out the same even during that time (6days a week for 40-60 minutes at the gym and 6 days a week zumba in the afternoon 20-40minutes), because I worry if I stop I wont start back up. Working out does also seem to reduce the discomfort of being on my period. I never want to go but about 15 minutes in I am feeling better.
  • Jessastar
    Options
    Unless you have issues with dizziness or something like that there is not reason to not work out just because you are on your period.

it's not really a 'period' question - it's more of a lack of sleep question that was caused by my period.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    don't know what to tell you re: TOM, but try a cup of chamomile tea at bedtime. It knocks my lights out every time.

tea_zps99117967.jpg
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options

it's not really a 'period' question - it's more of a lack of sleep question that was caused by my period.

Same still applies I guess, as long as you aren't having symptoms of sleep deprivation then no reason to not work out. If anything maybe it will help you sleep.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Excercise, so long as it is several hours at least before bedtime often improves sleep.

If you are having trouble getting to sleep, you might look at trying melatonin. I prefer the Nature Made Melatonin Liquid Softgel.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Why is lack of sleep a ladies only topic?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Shaun T and Jillian Michaels are both gay.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I like Pie.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    you are not a girl! I don't do anything at that time. Just rest.