27g a day?

Options
Hi all,

I started using MFP yesterday and I'm struggling to meet the limits for my daily allowance on protein/carbs/sodium/etc.
I'm doing....fairly so far, although sodium gives me a bit of trouble (nothing I can't adjust to).

My biggest problem is sugar, though. Everything seems to have it. I'm only allowed 27g per day, and it's just lunch and I'm already at 24g (9g from my Special K cereal even, which I guess I'm going to have to stop eating, 6g from my 1% low-fat milk, 6g for 2 slices of wheat bread, 1g for one slice of ham, and 2g for 2 packets of sweet n low, which apparently has some sugar in it after all?).
I'm just not sure how one can eat less than 27g without starving oneself. I don't know what else to do aside from skipping on most food with some content (which are, again, many), using sweet and low on my coffee (which I already do), and ask advice here.
The worst part is that I like eating oranges and bananas...and apparently 1 of either is equivalent to roughly 13g, and that's half my daily allowance right there on one fruit. Apple sauce ranks at 25g per half a cup, too. Is that all really the case?

Anyway, hope you guys can offer some insight or advice. Thanks in advance!

-John

Replies

• drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I don't count naturally occurring sugars into my grams per day figure.I I only keep track of ,and try and eliminate as many refined sugars as I can .....

ie... I eat bananas and apples ect... and milk, but don't count those towards my total for the day. But now a Mt Dew, or a piece of cake or cookie, that would count ...
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    eggs, vegetables, meats -- restricting your fruit.

Thing is, if you keep your sugar down, that way, you're going to have a hard time meeting your carbs.

Personally, I've been cutting out grains, entirely. If you cut out both grains and dairy and make most of your fruit in the nature of berries, which are low sugar, you can keep your sugar that low.

Anything pre-processed and pre-made? You're probably going to have to cut that out.
  • ABShaw30
    ABShaw30 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am right there with you. Sugar gives me a ridiculous amount of trouble. However, you can make up for any overage with exercise. For example, if I eat 7 grams over my allowance, a 30 minute exercise session increases my allowance, thereby balancing it out or putting me back under the amount I'm allowed. Hope this helps.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a reason to track sugar there is no reason to. Sugar is already counted in carbs. If you want to track sugar, I would take away any sugar that occured because of natural, whole foods. There really is no reason to track a subset of carbs unless you are told to do so by a doctor or dieabetic. Hope this helps
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a diabetic, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm not saying go berserk with sugar/carbs, but don't stress over it. Try and hit your protein/fiber macros and any other that is necessary for your activity levels.
  • DonnaRenee68
    DonnaRenee68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good Luck and you will just have to play around with it, see what you can give and take on! Sodium is another one....wow I was shocked to know that 2 med celerey stalks had 116g of sodium!! YIKES!! It will get easier I think as time goes by, and I find that the water helps!! Drink drink drink!
  • dawnbrisset
    dawnbrisset Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of food on less than 27 grams of sugar per day. I limit my fruits and veggies to low sugar varieties, and when eating other foods, choose options that are low or no sugar almost exclusively. I still eat over my calorie limit on most days. ;)
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    if you do a search, there was just another thread on here yesterday i think about the same issue, with some good advice from some knowledgeable members ...
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't bother counting my sugar. If your calories in are lower than your calories out but you ate a million grams of sugar, you are still going to lose weight. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are diabetic. If you are worried about sugar intake, count unnatural sugars (from processed foods). Fruit is good for you despite the high sugar content.
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet which is very low in sugar. I consume about 20-30 grams of carbs per day cabrs=sugar.

Try to avoid excess fruit, if you must have fruit try dark berries like blackberreis or blueberries, they are high in fiber & low(er) in sugar.

Make sure you are getting lots of fiber, protein & water!

If you need a sweet fix, I love EAS protein shakes only 2-3 carbs per serving the come in chocolate fudge, vanilla, strawberry, mocha.. Atkins has some great sweets that are low in carbs too like a cranberry yogurt almond bar. Get creative!

My co-workers & I did "March Meltdown" & created this low carb pinterest board with tons of low carb/ low sugar recipes:

http://pinterest.com/hayleysuel/march-meltdown/

Good luck!
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Any sugars from fruit, vegetables, or low-fat dairy products (ones that don't have a form of sugar in the ingredients list) are naturally occurring and you don't need to worry about those. What you can focus on are limiting your added sugars, which come from all the other types of foods. If you subtract out any sugar from fruits, vegs, and low-fat dairy products, it should be easier to stay within your 27g goal.
    And I do understand your frustration, it's really eye-opening to see how much sugar is actually added into the foods we eat on a regular basis. Good luck!
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    carbs=sugar.

Boo...hiss...

Carbs don't make people fat, caloric surplus makes people fat

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123232349

;)

That being said, some people have an easier time losing weigh with low carb where other people find success with moderate/high carbs. The best way to find out what works for you is to tweak your macros when you hit a plateau. In reference to OP's question, if you're getting most of your carbs from fruits and vegetables, I would worry more about hitting your carb numbers than worrying about your sugar numbers.

Good luck!
  • amyvedes
    amyvedes Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi

I work for a Dr who focuses on a low carb high fat lifestyle. Try to cut out carbs. Carbs=sugar. Sugar is what makes us fat. When you consume the carbs and sugar our bodies use it as fuel but unless you are en extreme athlete your body will hold on to it and store it as fat. Fat does not make you fat. I have been eating a lchf lifestyle for over a year and have lost 45lbs and reduced the inflammation in my body. ie: my platar fasciaitis is gone! Check out www.denversdietdoctor.com a lot of good info is on the page about the science behind it and the benefits. Biggest tip is avoid anything that says fat free or low fat!! They take out the fat and add sugar.

Hope this helps
  • Slothsoul
    Slothsoul Posts: 181
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!
    What I generally do now is try to make sure I don't go over my sugar, but don't worry too much if I do over things like fruit.
    This leads to other problems, though...oh well.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Nobody is married to a weight loss plan. Try a few things for 6 weeks at a time so you know how YOUR body feels when eating a certain way.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I dont monitor my sugar at all...I just ensure im under calories while meeting my protein and fat macros...that seems to work for me :)
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The World Health Organization recommends that the average adult (or was it diabetics? I forget) get about 40 g of sugar on a 2000-calorie diet. I second what everyone else said that if you are getting your nutrients from natural sources, not to worry about going over. I ate two savory meals Friday and was over the 28 it suggested I eat. Go figure! If I were you, I would change the setting to show fiber instead of something else. If you are getting enough fiber (and again, MFP makes the fiber intake very low--25-35 g is a much better goal), it will slow down your absorption of the sugar, which is good.