Gym Etiquette

Options
2»

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    *A* quick glance? I don't think anyone would care. Ogling and glancing away whenever they notice you to try to qualify it as "not staring", yeah, that's creepy.

I don't think anyone *never* looks. I mean, you at least need basic situational awareness to avoid smashing someone in the head with a dumbbell, and that's gonna require looking, which will occasionally lead to noticing a super-hottie. Can't be helped.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If glancing at me means you won't get in my way then go for it. I hate when people aren't paying attention and I have to do some ninja evasive action before they bump into me.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the gym, lol. I go to an all women's gym, so everybody greets everybody, and NOT glancing up from your machine makes you rude.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's terrible gym etiquette to look anywhere BUT your machine or weights that your using.

This clearly makes you a creep.

Just like wearing make up in the gym makes you a hooker.

wow..a **** ton of hookers go to my gym then....and they all take part in the silver sneakers workout.

This made me snort water out of my nose!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Keep glancing, I know I look good.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I look around all the time. Guys, girls, gym equipment, the ceiling, snack bar, whatever- I find staring at the TV or machine display boring. But like anywhere, staring is considered rude, and people are going to be more sensitive when they are in a place where they are critiquing their own bodies already- they assume you are too.

People are too full of themselves anyway, just because I am looking in your direction doesn't mean I have even noticed you.

As long as you aren't gawking (be honest), you are totally fine.

^^Exactly!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If women didn't want men looking at them they wouldn't wear yoga pants.

This way of thinking really frustrates me! So we should be covered from head to toe in baggy clothes so that we get far too hot and our trousers get all tangled together up when we try to sprint on the treadmill? That is actually ridiculous!
    "Oh she's wearing shorts, therefore I am entitled to gawk?" I don't think so! Maybe she's a little bit warm from exercising?!

In regards to glancing around, we all glance around between sets etc, the only other option is to study your own bellybutton, just don't be a perv.

This!!!!

Gym attire is appropriate in the gym. As stated above, that may involve showing a bit of skin in order to be comfortable. How would you men feel if we told you to wear heavy, long sleeved clothes so we wouldnt be distracted!

Men should learn to look away and not stare at a woman's parts.

Also if i have on makeup at the gym it's because i came straight from work and don't have time to remove it. That doesnt make me a hooker. Just a busy mom.

With the above being said, no woman (or man) has to push the limits of decency with extremely skimpy gym clothes. There are moderate choices.

And staring is always rude. Looking, and then moving on is different.
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Keep glancing, I know I look good.

:::glancing:::hard:::
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Look , we all do it. Just don't stare or leer.... Hell when I do cardio I park myself on the elliptical infront of all the free weights... Part of it is to enjoy the view.... :devil: .. I dont care if you look just dont stalk me lol
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh. I knew there was a reason I wear baggy sweatpants - put my hair in a pony tail and put on a ball hat. No one would want to look at me - ha!

Lol we would still look
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

This way of thinking really frustrates me! So we should be covered from head to toe in baggy clothes so that we get far too hot and our trousers get all tangled together up when we try to sprint on the treadmill? That is actually ridiculous!
    "Oh she's wearing shorts, therefore I am entitled to gawk?" I don't think so! Maybe she's a little bit warm from exercising?!

In regards to glancing around, we all glance around between sets etc, the only other option is to study your own bellybutton, just don't be a perv.

No one said anything about shorts or gawking, can you read?

If women didn't want men looking at them, they wouldn't wear yoga pants.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    This made me laugh. I knew there was a reason I wear baggy sweatpants - put my hair in a pony tail and put on a ball hat. No one would want to look at me - ha!

Psshhh...I love my wife in a ball cap and pony tail with saggy sweats!

so do I
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Same as a general social situation, look but don't stare unless they are staring at you.... then make goofy faces.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    so when do repeated glances from a women mean 'come over and say hello'... never? lol
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    And staring is always rude. Looking, and then moving on is different.

Who says the person is actually staring AT you though? There are plenty of times that I'm staring off into the distance and it could be in the direction of someone working out but I'm not actually looking at them.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Or wear a thin pair of sports bras and high beam everyone after a strenuous set.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Or wear a thin pair of sports bras and high beam everyone after a strenuous set.

Exactly. They can say all they want that they find it creepy when guys check them out but they wouldn't dress like that if they didn't want the attention.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I wear fitted clothes to the gym because they're WAY more comfortable to work out in. I tried the sweats and tshirt and I almost went insane from being so uncomfortable. They design workout gear to keep you dry and comfortable while you're sweating your booty off. So it's very much NOT because I want people to stare at me. However I don't really care if men look at me at the gym. Just wanted to clarify that not all girls who wear yoga pants and makeup to the gym do it go get noticed. :)
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Who wears pairs of sports bras? I usually just stick to one...

and I was just under the impression that I was being stared at for being the only girl in the free weights section of the gym lifting anything more than a 10lb dumbbell.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Look but don't put your hands down your pants when you are...