1200 cals/working out/not eating back calories. Wrong?!

Options
13»

Replies

• NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This sight is so full of information. I have been doing Weight Watchers and never thought about what I should really be eating or doing or why I just count points. Well this point counting is not working for me. I guess I need to get educated on what works and why and how!!!! Thanks for all the great info...
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not a weight watcher basher, but they are more concerned with weight loss vs healthy food and the right nutrients for the body. I only say that based on experience since I too have tried weight watchers in my 20s....I still ate way too much "junk". If it works for someone that is fine, I just now try to sub out milk chocolate for dark chocolate and when I want something sweet I go for my Greek Yogurt with fruit....it's ALL about changing the mindset and finding the healthy options :) I read a great blog about a girl who got lean and strong (since I too love to lift weights more then cardio) at www.nerdfitness.com. It was a great read :)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

#1 is what MFP does, so you if that is your choice just follow MFP (which means eat exercise cals back)

Not exactly - since MFP put me at 1200 and using TDEE-15% + exercise I eat 1400.
  • Back2Biz
    Back2Biz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention one other thing... if you want to lose weight you should not be eating back your calories. I am in a training program with a Registered Dietician/Nutritionist, Physical Therapist/Personal Trainer and a Medical Doctor. We just all had a big meeting about MFP and this topic of eating back calories and how many calories to eat. They all agreed that people make it too complicated. They said (for a non-athlete female) to eat between 1200-1300 calories a day and burn 500 calories a day. You should lose at least 1 pound per week that way - if you regualrly eat more than 1200-1300 calories the deficit from calories will increase the weight loss above the 1 pound until your weight is within the "normal" range for your height. They also said that the ONLY way to burn fat AND keep it off is to adopt a diet that you can maintain daily -for life. They have a sign that says "Success= 90% Diet, 10% Exercise". I keep this in mind when I'm eating. I'm vegetarian, so that means being mindful of my oils, nuts and cheeses. It's all about changing your mindset and sticking with your plan. Losing the weight as fast as you can shouldn't be the goal. Change your lifestyle and you have a plan that will work for life. Good Luck!!
  • skinnysprice
    skinnysprice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I consider myself pretty educated as far as what the "right" foods to eat are. I also know that there's a TON of
    controversy out there about the best and most healthy way to lose weight. I went to my doctor just to be sure, and sure enough, he said to cut my calories to less than 1200 every day, work out, and don't eat back the calories I burned. So, I've been doing this and successfully losing weight, fairly quicker than I'm
    uses. Obviously. I'm like staaaarving! Here's some details:

I'm 29
    5'3"
    175 lb

I'm not cutting carbs, or eating clean. I'm drinking only water, no juice/soda etc. I chose healthier foods the majority of the time, but don't limit myself to only whole or fresh. I heat up the occasional Smart One or Lean Cuisine for convenience. I workout every day but Sunday. Lately I've been running, 2.5-4 miles a day. Slower pace, around 3.5/4.0. I also have 3 beach body programs I do from time to time; Insanity, Turbo Fire, and Chalene extreme. I've only completed the insanity program. The other two I recently purchased.

So, how should I figure out what my optimal calorie intake should be? I don't wanna starve my body, or have it eat muscle, etc. I wanna be healthy, and I have about 50 lb to lose. Help!!!!!

I think you should go to the doc and ask for them to test your resting metabolic rate. That way, you know for sure how many calories you burn while your body is at rest. The "normal" person my age burns about 2400 calories, however after being tested, I only burn about 1700. That's a huge gap. I haven't found a website that lets you customize that part. If you know that information, you can calculate how many calories you should eat per day to lose the weight at a safe rate. I can consume 1200 calories/day and lose about 1lb per week. It is important to at least get 30% of your body weight of protein a day so when you're exercising, you're not depleting your muscle, but losing fat.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention one other thing... if you want to lose weight you should not be eating back your calories. I am in a training program with a Registered Dietician/Nutritionist, Physical Therapist/Personal Trainer and a Medical Doctor. We just all had a big meeting about MFP and this topic of eating back calories and how many calories to eat. They all agreed that people make it too complicated. They said (for a non-athlete female) to eat between 1200-1300 calories a day and burn 500 calories a day. You should lose at least 1 pound per week that way - if you regualrly eat more than 1200-1300 calories the deficit from calories will increase the weight loss above the 1 pound until your weight is within the "normal" range for your height. They also said that the ONLY way to burn fat AND keep it off is to adopt a diet that you can maintain daily -for life. They have a sign that says "Success= 90% Diet, 10% Exercise". I keep this in mind when I'm eating. I'm vegetarian, so that means being mindful of my oils, nuts and cheeses. It's all about changing your mindset and sticking with your plan. Losing the weight as fast as you can shouldn't be the goal. Change your lifestyle and you have a plan that will work for life. Good Luck!!

Why would they make such a blanket statement. To say that 1200 to 1300 is plenty even when burning 500 is ridiculous! At sedentary my bmr is over 1400 and I have been down the 800 calorie road and have the health problems to show for it. I would venture to say their clients are the only ones that will suffer I just hope people have more sense than to listen to them.