What to wear on your new body?

Options

Replies

• evereadysmile
    Options
    It seems we have taken the same trip! I too am 5'3" and have lost 35 lbs. My wardrobe has completely been overhauled! I went from a 14/16 to a comfortable 8. I work in an office, so most of my slacks were replaced (minus a few pairs I would not part with when they got too small). But I hit up local consignment shops since I am not at my goal weight and have found some great clothes that I feel good in. From jeans to shirts and blouses, to slacks and dresses (POPPIN TAGS!). As long as you like how you look in the clothes. Good luck and happy dressing!

I have some of those slacks! I'm not sure they can even be tailored to fit now, but I love them, I don't want to give them up and they are only just a little bit too big.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    The nothing.
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    I totally understand that. I've found myself in more MEN'S clothing lately. Not only are men's jeans infinitely easier to shop for (Waist, inseam, DONE, none of that 8-in-this-brand-13-in-that-one BS), but I've never gotten a threatening backhanded "compliment" or groped at a club in my slightly more androgynous wardrobe.

Yeah I find I dress much less feminine than I did when I was heavier. I'm not sure it's hiding for me, just comfort, maybe.
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    I haven't replaced any of my wardrobe, but I'd suggest sundresses with belts - show off that new waistline!

I keep telling myself that I need more dresses, for comfort and ease, but spring was so late coming, it's only just now finally weather for them in the South!
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    I pretty much just hit up my old boxes of clothes from high school (and there's a TON!). I clung on to them for so long hoping that one day I'd be able to wear them again. I finally stopped wishing and made it happen. It feels great to be able to wear them again. Then there was this past weekend when I walked into the mall and managed to spend $180 on new clothes in less than a half hour...sigh, my poor bank account. Shopping is fun again which is great, but I need to be careful with all the spending!

Yeah, I have saved no old clothes, which while a great excuse to buy new ones is hurting my wallet.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I vote, ...NOTHING !!!!
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am not even halfway to my goal-and have donated several bags of clothes over the past year. I had lost weight a few years back-and now fit into those clothes once again. Having said that-I need several pieces to "fill in the gaps". I, however, need a new set of eyes to help me transition into a smaller size. After having bought whatever fit-and now having a bit of leeway with sizing-I am at a loss. Since most things were dismissed outright because of size, I need help! Not that I'm complaining....
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm replacing all of it as I go. I have gone from a 18W-20W to a 10 and I'd like to lose one more size. The strangest thing is picking up clothing in a store and thinking that people are looking at me thinking, "Girl, those won't fit." Then I try them on and they are the correct size. Or, I go to a department store and ask for help with jeans or something and they say, "Are you sure that's your size?" and I feel embarrassed and say, "Oh you're right, maybe a size bigger" when they meant I needed a smaller size.

I think for me I am in the process of determining what parts of my body are still under construction and which I want to show off. I still have a thick waist but now my rear has turned into something I don't need or want to hide anymore. I know everyone on here gets mad about the "body shapes" stuff but having worked in clothing retail, I think it really helps in determining how to dress yourself. I don't think it affects anything else like weight loss or how you should work out. But, obviously if you are broad on top and narrow on the bottom or visa versa, there are visual tricks that can help balance out how you appear in clothing. If this wasn't true, the What Not to Wear people would be slapping the same stuff on everyone instead of tailoring choices to individuals.

I think you should dress yourself well at every stage of the journey and that it will increase your confidence. Maybe save some things like a special dress or some really nice jeans for a reward when you get to a maintenance weight (just because of the replacement cost issue). It's nice to find non-food rewards for ourselves, too. As you go along, you can get inexpensive pieces to tide you over that are still fashion-forward and that will fit better than your old clothing. If people can see you've been making progress, you will get more feedback and that can be very motivating, too.

The other thing that is really important for ladies is this: GET FITTED FOR A NEW BRA SIZE AFTER WEIGHT LOSS.:wink:
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    I am not even halfway to my goal-and have donated several bags of clothes over the past year. I had lost weight a few years back-and now fit into those clothes once again. Having said that-I need several pieces to "fill in the gaps". I, however, need a new set of eyes to help me transition into a smaller size. After having bought whatever fit-and now having a bit of leeway with sizing-I am at a loss. Since most things were dismissed outright because of size, I need help! Not that I'm complaining....

I totally understand this! Wearing things you couldn't wear before is awesome, but trying to figure out which things you can pull off is hard!
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    I think for me I am in the process of determining what parts of my body are still under construction and which I want to show off. I still have a thick waist but now my rear has turned into something I don't need or want to hide anymore. I know everyone on here gets mad about the "body shapes" stuff but having worked in clothing retail, I think it really helps in determining how to dress yourself. I don't think it affects anything else like weight loss or how you should work out. But, obviously if you are broad on top and narrow on the bottom or visa versa, there are visual tricks that can help balance out how you appear in clothing. If this wasn't true, the What Not to Wear people would be slapping the same stuff on everyone instead of tailoring choices to individuals.

This has been the hardest for me. The fit issues I had when I was heavier are vastly different from what I have now, but there are still issues. Learning how to dress around those might be the biggest challenge.
    The other thing that is really important for ladies is this: GET FITTED FOR A NEW BRA SIZE AFTER WEIGHT LOSS.:wink:

I really need to do this. I bought some cheap ones to hold me over and it's not awful, but it's really not quite right yet.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm buying new stuff as I go along. I'm losing slowly so I still get plenty of wear out of them. I refuse to look crappy during this process. It's demotivating.
  • tamora13
    tamora13 Posts: 251
    Options
    <<< I have chosen a bikini. Lol.. My first one ever. :)
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is making several trips to the dressing room. Was so used to going straight to the 44/42" waist pants and XXL shirts....now I have to remind myself that I wear 36" and L sized shirts.

Oh and OP...you should wear me : )
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    Oh and OP...you should wear me : )

You know where to find me. ;D
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    <<< I have chosen a bikini. Lol.. My first one ever. :)

YAY!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YES. I've replaced everything in my wardrobe multiple times. It's out of necessity partly, but also because I feel so much better about myself when I'm in clothes that fit (why look frumpy?). Gets expensive, but losing weight/becoming healthy is worth every hour at the gym, dollar spent, etc.

Go for whatever you feel good in/whatever highlights what you like about your body. I have a bigger bust and a relatively small waist (and a huge tummy), so I wear a lot of empire waist dresses and tops that camouflage my middle.

There will be a day when I jones for a bodycon dress, but today is not that day. You however, might be able to pull it off :)
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Dresses...I wear tons of dresses.:)
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I went on Pinterest and found a bunch of outfits that had components of clothes I have, then I put my outfits together using the pins as a guide :)
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I go for pieces that i can taylor, anthing that gives me great curves in a garment! Curves are sexy and i find that if I feel sexy I'm more confident about the way that I look, even though i have a LONG way to go!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    When you get in good shape you can wear anything you like. Just make sure it puts the lotion on its skin.

tumblr_mkp8e6B0yD1qda3too1_500.gif

You win this one.

Anyway, I am down 20 lb, and I have sort of lost interest in clothes shopping for the time being. I bought some pants that stay up without a belt, but other than that, I just wear whatever still sort of fits. It's sort of surprising--I would have expected me to go crazy and buy everything I can lay my hands on in size 6. But I have other things to occupy me, like spending way too much time on the MFP boards.