the miracle of the sandwich

Options
I'm such a little sandwich fiend. I eat them almost every day, because they're fast and easy to make, portable and don't need to be refrigerated usually, filling, and I can get a lot of good stuff in there- veggies, whole grain, protein. Sandwiches are absolutely my go-to food.

Lately though, I'm feeling a little stale (no pun intended) with what I'm putting in them. Share with me your favorite under 500 calorie sandwich recipes! No holds barred, I'll even try the weird stuff.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You should still keep them cool though below 40 deg F if you can just to prevent any food borne illnesses because bacteria loves protein. At least keep one of those freezer packs in your bag.

I agree though sandwiches are very filling and wonderful. I just dont want to see you get sick.

But I love roast beef, cheese with a yogurt/horseradish spread.
  • Getit_Simpson
    Getit_Simpson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just had lunch which was ironically enough a sandwhich. It was made up of spinach, tomato, avacado slices,3 slices of low sodium turkey meat, AND an overeasy egg! Oh, and the bread I use is Ezekiel wheat bread, also low sodium and flourless. That's 408 calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't have sandwiches very often, but I made my husband a ham, cheese & spinach sandwich that looked delicious!

Or beef & coleslaw
    Or pastrami & gherkin
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Lettuce, tomato, swiss and turkey, with avocado spread on toasted Ezekiel bread. Kinda messy, though, so you can't really eat in your car without a bib.

ETA we were typing at the same time! I've used spinach also, when I didn't have lettuce. But not the egg. Hmmmm. Interesting!
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ajvar? It's a tomato and pepper based spread that can be spicy or not. It's typical in Balkan food, and it makes ANY sandwich better!!
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just had lunch which was ironically enough a sandwhich. It was made up of spinach, tomato, avacado slices,3 slices of low sodium turkey meat, AND an overeasy egg! Oh, and the bread I use is Ezekiel wheat bread, also low sodium and flourless. That's 408 calories.

That sounds awesome
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid i'm a bit of a traditionalist, you can't beat a cheese and pickle or cheese and coleslaw sarnie for me! (Sparingly on the cheese and low fat coleslaw of course :p)
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I like a sando with provolone cheese, avocado and tomato. Sometimes I'lll add turkey and alfalfa sprouts.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My favorite sandwich is bacon, avocado, tomato, lettuce, mustard, and an egg pancake (take an egg, mix it up like you're going to scramble it but cook it in the bottom of the pan like a pancake).

My other favorite is the above but with no avocados and pickles instead. I can't stand avocado and pickle together.

I also really like cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches, even better if you add some dill, and even better than that is with some lox.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Our favorite sandwich to make at home is hummus, baby spinach, tomato, shredded carrot, and sprouts on whole wheat bread. You can add cream cheese if you want, though that ups the calories a bit. Sometimes I put cucumber on mine as well.
  • zsazsabodine
    zsazsabodine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like to toast a piece of Ezekial Sesame bread and then put a slice of cheese on it and put it back in the toaster oven to melt the cheese.

Or toast a slice of Ezekial bread and mash 1/4 avocado on top or a boiled egg and 1T light mayo and make an open-face egg salad sandwich.

Add a piece of fruit and/or some veggies and dip or dressing and it's a good lunch.
  • cyndirose67
    cyndirose67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like hummus, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, pickled pepper slices and a little quinoa on a whole wheat tortilla (I use low carb big ones and wrap burrito-style.)
  • Mama_Burkhart
    Mama_Burkhart Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do grilled chicken on wheat with lettuce tomato avacado and scrambled egg whites!!! Yummy!!!
    I'm such a little sandwich fiend. I eat them almost every day, because they're fast and easy to make, portable and don't need to be refrigerated usually, filling, and I can get a lot of good stuff in there- veggies, whole grain, protein. Sandwiches are absolutely my go-to food.

Lately though, I'm feeling a little stale (no pun intended) with what I'm putting in them. Share with me your favorite under 500 calorie sandwich recipes! No holds barred, I'll even try the weird stuff.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes it needs to be refrigerated. Sorry. I can't even think of anything that you would put in a sandwich that doesn't need to go in the fridge short of peanut butter and jelly.

I'm sure I saw a post about this a while ago though. But anyway...

- chicken/egg/tuna salad (just mix with greek yogurt and some dijon mustard)
    - turkey, avocado, tomato, cheese if you want
    - tomato, mozarella
    - egg sandwich (can add ham and cheese)

Keep in mind you're easily getting 200 calories from the bread alone. I use ezekiel or the small Wegmans whole grain slices.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't eat sandwiches very often (too much bread for me!) but I love wraps when I can fit in some carbs. And my kids' new favorite is pesto, chicken and cheese (swiss for my son, sun dried tomato havarti for my daughter!).

My son also is a big fan of the grilled peanut butter and cheese variety as well as his latest 'gross out': Nutella, bologna, cheddar cheese and miracle whip. Try and make that without gagging!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My son also is a big fan of the grilled peanut butter and cheese variety as well as his latest 'gross out': Nutella, bologna, cheddar cheese and miracle whip. Try and make that without gagging!

OMG. Barf.
  • jwdesiree
    jwdesiree Posts: 31
    Options
    This Ezekiel bread... can I get it at any old supermarket? Or would it be found somewhere a little more specialized like a Whole Foods?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat sandwich wraps mostly. I like that I can fit more veggies in there. Basically I just make a salad and roll it up in a high fiber wrap. You can put lots of leafy greens and whatever other veggies and protein you want or have on hand. I generally use some type of mustard, hot sauce or vinaigrette as the dressing.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I make a wonderful filling tuna melt on 7 grain bread, it is filling, and you can add tomatoes lettuce onions whatever you want to it. I toast the bread (2=130c) and mix one can of light tuna packed in low sodium water (60c), I add about 1 tbsp of Hellman's real Mayo (100c)and 1 tbsp low calorie ranch dressing (10-60c) to the tuna along with pepper and chives or just chopped onion. I spread this between the two pieces of toast and top each with about 1/2 tbsp of shredded cheese (60-100c) then put it in the broiler or toaster oven until the cheese melts...it is sooooooo good and calories are pretty low...hum..should have checked only a total of under 375 calories of course depends on the brands of cheese and dressing you use, you can even get this lower.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love sandwiches for the same reasons! This is what I had today and usually every day with small variations to taste new each day

Joseph's - Flat Bread Honey Wheat Flax & Oat Bran, 1 Flat Bread 100
    Great Value - 97% Fat Free Deli Sliced Black Forest Smoked Ham, 5 slices 60
    Jennie-O - Oven Roasted Turkey Breast-Deli Lunch Meat, 2 oz 50
    Lettuce - Iceberg (includes crisphead types), raw, 1 cup shredded 10
    Tomato X4 Slices - Tomato Slice 1 Slice, Thin/Small (15g), 2 slice 6
    Laughing Cow - Light, Creamy Swiss Flavor Cheese Wedge, 1 wedge (21g) 35
    Total Calories 261

I love the flat bread because it makes a big filling sandwich. Better than any subway I've had. I also like the Sandwich Skinny's, they come in different flavors of bread, same # of calories, but they make a smaller sandwich. I like using them for breakfast sandwiches as well as lunch.