Not hungry enough to eat all my calories! Help

Options
In order to lose 1 pound per week, the igoogle BMR calculator says I would eat 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight and therefore a 500 calories deficit to 1500 calories for 7 days would be 3,500 calorie deficit or one pound a week. I originally started my fitness pal about 6 weeks ago and was only eating 1100-1200 calories a day and burning off 200-300, for a net around 900 calories a day. I was losing a pound a week and have lost 9 pounds so far. Only 13 more to go to goal weight. However, I saw an internet post that said at that amount of calories (900 net), I could be losing lean muscle rather than fat, which would explain why I am still flabby despite being close to goal weight. Since muscle weighs more than fat, perhaps I was losing muscle on the scale. So, the last two days, I started upping my calories to 1500 eaten, burning 300 for 1200 net. I honestly can't seem to eat that many calories. When eating healthy, nutrient dense, yet low calorie fruits and veggies, I find the volume of food is too much, I just don't eat mass quantities, I eat the wrong kind of foods like cakes, cookies, etc. I mean yesterday, I had to eat a reeses peanut butter egg from easter just to get to 1500 calories because I wasn't hungry and that doesn't seem right on a diet. Help - how do I eat that much and should I eat when I'm not hungry just because MFP says I should? I'm trying to follow my body's hunger cues and I wasn't hungry eating 1200 per day and trying to eat 1500 per day I feel like I am forcing food down I don't want to eat? Help? Suggestions?

Replies

• FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You need to work out more, this will make you hungry. If you're not hungry at normal intervals, your metabolism is slow and you need to push it to do it's job by moving more and also probably eating a little more (1500 calories works for most women.)

Fruits and veggies aren't the only healthy foods, it takes a balance to have a healthy diet- you need protein, whole grains, even a little fat to do the job. Don't forbid yourself from eating things you feel aren't the most healthy and opt for the most unhealthy (like junk food and sweets.) There are many, many foods that fall in that ambiguous zone where you need to use moderation and self-control adding them in. Eat more whole grain breads, calorie dense fruits and veggies (bananas and avocados come to mind), milk and cheese are not evil you can have some of that too, hell, have a little red wine and dark chocolate. It's all about balance.
  • jcartwright2008
    jcartwright2008 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you make your diary viewable it will help ;) We can give better suggestions if we can see what you are currently eating. You're welcome to check out my diary, I average 1550 cal a day. :flowerforyou:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    then dont. Eat some protein, fat, and carbs with nutritious dense foods and you'll be good to go.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It can be as simple as adding a natural peanut butter, coconut oil, avocado, some nuts. A serving of any of these will take you from 1200 to 1500 fairly quickly and provide many nutritional benefits.

Also, this isn't really a diet :)
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Whole grain pasta, low fat sauce, and lean protein. Examples:

Whole grain rotini, low fat alfredo, baked chicken breast
    Whole grain spaghetti, marinara, turkey sausage

Also eat some lowfat yogurt or a wheat crust pizza with some lowfat cheese and lean meat (bbq chicken is my favorite on whole wheat crust or a flatbread crust).

Don't restrict yourself to only fruits and veggies to eat healthy!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    High volume, high fiber foods will fill you up with fewer calories ......

Instead try adding calorie dense foods .... avocado, nuts, nut butters, olive oil (are HEALTHY fats) .... lots of calories for small portions
  • doritosgirl
    doritosgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Make a smoothie with lots of veggies, fruit, yogurt and juice.. I have a smoothie everyday and I am always full for a few hours after drinking it.. Mine are usually about 300 calories for 12 oz glass.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 1500 calories per day - feel free to browse my food diary for ideas
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!! High in protein, good fats, and calorie dense!! :smile:
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    nuts, seeds, avocados are all very healthy and very calorie dense. however I think you should trust your body first and foremost. While 900 net calories is quite low, every single person is different and its hard to pinpoint exactly what is right and what is wrong... which is why its most important to listen to your body - and dont force yourself to eat. If you are doing strength training that should be enough to gain some muscle back that you may be losing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I will never understand this problem...but...

You need to incorporate more nutrient dense foods into your diet that are also calorie dense. Everyone seems to go on a diet and any food that is; 1. calorie dense, or 2. has fat is automatically considered "bad."

If you are having difficulty achieving your calorie goals, you are probably not getting enough fat in your diet. Fat is an essential nutrient. Cutting too much fat out of ones diet has all sorts of implications ranging from simple constipation to full on depression and other mental disorders. Also, monounsaturated fats from things like nuts, avocados, olives and olive oil, etc help to control bad cholesterol and boost good cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.

In summary...get a little fat. A little goes a long way...one measly little ounce of nuts is around 160 calories...tablespoon of olive oil in your cooking is around 110 calories...half a large avocado is around 120. You can get calories in without stuffing yourself.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!! High in protein, good fats, and calorie dense!! :smile:

Try and get the natural peanut butter - or atleast make sure the container clearly labels "no trans fats" because those are bad news bears :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Also OP...honestly, I'd focus on eating a bit closer to your maintenance level of calories and lifting weights. The only way you're going to change your body composition...i.e. be at a good weight but not squishy...is by resistance training. No amount of cardio or diet is going to give you that lean and toned look...that all comes from resistance training.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thing like nuts, avocoados, and cheese are calorie dense. Buuuut... beating yourself up for eating a piece of candy is silly. I have a bowl of ice cream most nights. I measure it out now and eat healthy foods earlier in the day, but I don't give up things I enjoy. Giving up all of the foods you love because you're "on a diet" is, again, silly. Things in moderation.

And I'm trying to wrap my head around you being unable to get to 1500 calories. Most people on here are here to lose weight (and you yourself said that you are) so you didn't have trouble with that before I'm guessing. Are you limiting your food to a ton of veggies that are low calorie but fill you up? Add in some nuts and cheese and yeah, you can have treats. Again, it's all about moderation. If I ate carrot sticks all day and not much else I would have a hard time getting to 1500, go crazy from boredom and cravings, and probably binge.
  • aidansmom825
    aidansmom825 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

If you are having difficulty achieving your calorie goals, you are probably not getting enough fat in your diet. Fat is an essential nutrient. Cutting too much fat out of ones diet has all sorts of implications ranging from simple constipation to full on depression and other mental disorders. Also, monounsaturated fats from things like nuts, avocados, olives and olive oil, etc help to control bad cholesterol and boost good cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.

In summary...get a little fat. A little goes a long way...one measly little ounce of nuts is around 160 calories...tablespoon of olive oil in your cooking is around 110 calories...half a large avocado is around 120. You can get calories in without stuffing yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions on fat everyone! When I look at my food logs I am under the amount of fat almost every day. Whole grains, fruits and veggies are not giving me the fat that I need! I am going to incorporate some avocado, nuts, seeds, and cheese to round things out.

And to add more weights and resistance to not be "squishy" :)