Pureed Cauliflower My New Mashed Potato

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    mmm i love mashed cauliflower it tastes exactly the same!

It tastes exactly the same as what? If you mean that it tastes exactly the same as cauliflower, then yes, I agree. If you mean that it tastes exactly the same as mashed potatoes, then I would say that you and I must have different tastes.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options

It tastes exactly the same as what? If you mean that it tastes exactly the same as cauliflower, then yes, I agree. If you mean that it tastes exactly the same as mashed potatoes, then I would say that you and I must have different tastes.
    ^I can only tell a very slight difference to mashed cauliflower and mashed potatoes, maybe it's just my taste buds? But you can control how dense it is by adding only a tiny splash of milk to it. Add things like sauteed garlic and onions/ or powdered and butter. Really it does taste very similar, only the consistency is slightly different. Have you actually tried it?
  • sessik86
    sessik86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try it mashed. Right now I have it in the oven. I'm trying to make a bbq chicken pizza with cauliflower crust. It's got about 10 min left. I'll let u guys know how it is and I will try to take a pic
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    I'm going to try it mashed. Right now I have it in the oven. I'm trying to make a bbq chicken pizza with cauliflower crust. It's got about 10 min left. I'll let u guys know how it is and I will try to take a pic
    ^Great! I hope you get a picture. I've seen recipes for the cauliflower pizza crust on pinterest and it looks delicious. :-)
  • sessik86
    sessik86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it. I have a pic and will figure out how to post it later. I blended the cauliflower into a rice consistency. I hated it. I am going to try again in a couple of weeks.

What I am going to do different
    - I'm going to use a mixer to get a more blended consistency
    - I'm going to spread out the mixture really thin. It was already pretty thin but I think it needs to be thinner
    - I'm going to bake the crust longer to make it crispier. It wasn't crispy at all. I had to eat it with a fork
  • ICOZA7
    ICOZA7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tried pureed cauliflower the other day... idk what I did wrong, but it tasted NOTHING like mashed potatoes and kinda made me wanna vomit. I was super disappointed.
  • rosem1020
    rosem1020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    can someone post how to mash cauliflower. the last time I tried it, it was not mashed at all and no one like it
    so a recipe to follow would be grreat
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    can someone post how to mash cauliflower. the last time I tried it, it was not mashed at all and no one like it

How I make it is I steam the cauliflower until you can easily pass through it with a fork, drain the water, squeeze cauliflower in towel to get out excess water. Throw in a food processor add about a tbsp of milk and tbsp of butter, salt and pepper. Blend until pureed, or if you like pulse until it's got some rustic chunkiness (I prefer pureed). You can control how thick or thin it is by adding a little bit of milk to it at a time until you get your desired consistency.

Things I have added in the past: Peas= blended w/cauliflower and it turns green. Sauteed onions and garlic, or onion and garlic powder. Or roasted garlic.

I plan to make a curried version of pureed cauliflower next time. :-)

Of course, everyone has different tastes. Not everyone may like it.
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    I didn't like it. I have a pic and will figure out how to post it later. I blended the cauliflower into a rice consistency. I hated it. I am going to try again in a couple of weeks.

What I am going to do different
    - I'm going to use a mixer to get a more blended consistency
    - I'm going to spread out the mixture really thin. It was already pretty thin but I think it needs to be thinner
    - I'm going to bake the crust longer to make it crispier. It wasn't crispy at all. I had to eat it with a fork
    That's too bad, maybe next time it will turn out better. My fiance makes a good low-cal pizza by using the 100 calorie whole wheat tortilla's as the crust, they're pretty tasty. :-)
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Here's what I use to make my cauliflower pizza crust. I like this recipe versus some others I've seen because it doesnt have a big eggy flavor to it.

1 cup Grated RAW Cauliflower
    1/4 cup Egg Beaters or 1 large egg
    1/2 cup or 2 oz 2% Reduced Fat Three Cheese Mexican Blend
    1/8 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp basil (optional)
    minced garlic to taste (optional)

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
    Mix the ingredients together until blended well, then spoon it onto parchment paper (on a cookie sheet).
    Spread it out to the size of a dinner plate (or rectangeles or whatever shape you want)
    I make mine thin, but not SUPER thin, usually approx 1/2 inch thick or slightly less. The thinner the crust, the less likely it will be soggy.
    Bake for 25-30 minutes, then lift the edges and carefully flip the crust over. Bake another 10-15 minutes unti the edges are brown and crisp.

Top with whatever toppings you want and bake until the cheese is melted.
    I usually do 4-6 pizzas from one good sized head of cauliflower, then freeze them for quick individual meals.
    Bake

Edited to add:
    I like to blend my own tomatoes so that there's no extra added junk, then top with turkey pepperoni and spinach, and mozerella cheese.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^I can only tell a very slight difference to mashed cauliflower and mashed potatoes, maybe it's just my taste buds? But you can control how dense it is by adding only a tiny splash of milk to it. Add things like sauteed garlic and onions/ or powdered and butter. Really it does taste very similar, only the consistency is slightly different. Have you actually tried it?

I have...once. Tasted like mashed cauliflower. It wasn't *bad*, but when in the mood for mashed potatoes, I much prefer mashed potatoes. When I want cauliflower, I'd much rather have it roasted. (In fact, that's true for nearly every vegetable, especially the root ones. Roasting has changed my life...(well, okay, my food choices).)
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    Lately I've been using zucchini that's been julienned (long thin strips) in place of regular pasta noodles.
    Its sturdy enough to have a good "chew" when eating it and it doesnt add any weird flavors if topped with spaghetti sauce or a cheese sauce.

To make the noodles, I sprinkle the julienned zucchini with sea salt, then place the "noodles" in a single layer on top of paper towels to draw out extra moisture for about 30 minutes. Scoop up the noodles and pat them to get rid of the excess salt.

Toss in a pan with a litlte olive oil until warm. Nice and al dente!!

If I want a cheesey "alfredo" style sauce, I'll throw in a wedge of Laughing Cow lite cheese, a pinch of butter, and a splash of almond milk. Yum!!! Even my son and husband will eat the noodles when I prep it this way.

When I saw these stats (rough estimate for the same size serving), I was VERY eager to try the zucchini and I like it!
    200 calories of spaghetti noodles vs. 28 calories in zucchini noodles
    39 carbs in spaghetti noodles vs. 2.7 carbs in zucchini noodles
    6.3g protein in spaghetti noodles vs. 0.5g protein in zucchini noodles
    0.7g fat in spaghetti noodles vs. 1.7g fat in zucchini noodles

Edited to add:
    I make these noodles so often that I bought a julienne peeler from amazon to make quick work of the job.
    I can make the noodle strips in less than 5 minutes using this peeler:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Julienne-Protector-Stainless/dp/B0000CEWJD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365622925&sr=8-1&keywords=julienne+peeler
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Someone explain to me how to make this. I have tried and it doesn't turn out looking or tasting like mashed potatoes, its lumpy, am I not cooking it long enough? HELP!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love mashed cauliflower (and let's face it, it's not mashed. you must use either a food processor or blender or you will end up with a weird mess). However, it is NOT mashed potatoes, doesn't taste like mashed potatoes, and is not even a remote substitute for mashed potatoes. They LOOK exactly the same, which is not what you're going for, unless you're a food photographer. Anyway. Eat the dang potatoes, they're good for you. :smile:
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been using zucchini that's been julienned (long thin strips) in place of regular pasta noodles.
    Its sturdy enough to have a good "chew" when eating it and it doesnt add any weird flavors if topped with spaghetti sauce or a cheese sauce.

To make the noodles, I sprinkle the julienned zucchini with sea salt, then place the "noodles" in a single layer on top of paper towels to draw out extra moisture for about 30 minutes. Scoop up the noodles and pat them to get rid of the excess salt.

Toss in a pan with a litlte olive oil until warm. Nice and al dente!!

If I want a cheesey "alfredo" style sauce, I'll throw in a wedge of Laughing Cow lite cheese, a pinch of butter, and a splash of almond milk. Yum!!! Even my son and husband will eat the noodles when I prep it this way.

Edited to add:
    I make these noodles so often that I bought a julienne peeler from amazon to make quick work of the job.
    I can make the noodle strips in less than 5 minutes using this peeler:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Julienne-Protector-Stainless/dp/B0000CEWJD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365622925&sr=8-1&keywords=julienne+peeler

If you haven't tried it, do yourself a GIANT favor and make zucchini lasagne. O.M.G. so good
  • GabyBaby916
    Options
    If you haven't tried it, do yourself a GIANT favor and make zucchini lasagne. O.M.G. so good

I haven't tried it yet, but its on my radar!! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I tried pureed cauliflower the other day... idk what I did wrong, but it tasted NOTHING like mashed potatoes and kinda made me wanna vomit. I was super disappointed.
    Someone explain to me how to make this. I have tried and it doesn't turn out looking or tasting like mashed potatoes, its lumpy, am I not cooking it long enough? HELP!

it's because you're being lied to
  • aprildpettitt
    Options
    Another calorie saver for roasting veggies...toss them in vegetable broth instead of oil, it coats the veggies, any seasoning you throw in stick to them, and they taste great! When using store bought broth, I always look for no added sodium.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    mashed sweet taters FTMFW
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    mashed sweet taters FTMFW

how do you like to season your mashed sweet pertaterz?