NSV: No more hose nose to stop snoring!

Options
2»

Replies

• EAPTX
    EAPTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's my new short-term goal, too. I hit a plateau over the past month and know I've been gaining muscle, but not losing weight. So I really needed a personal success that I could measure. About a week or two ago, I started gulping a lot of air with my CPAP and needing to rip it off at night. Since I've had it 3 years, that was still tough. I thought I needed to adjust the type of mask (from nasal pillows to full mouth and nose) which just made me want to cry, but not as much as it made me want to sleep. I searched around on here and it finally dawned on me that I might not need it to be as strong now! I went to my sleep doctor and he turned it down considerably and I slept like a baby last night. He said I was well on my way to losing it completely and wanted to know how I did it. Hence, a shout out to MFP! I'm more excited about this than the fact that I went from a size 22 to a size 16 pant - really! It honestly never occurred to me that I might be able to ditch that thing with which I have a true love-hate relationship. It is SO good to sleeeeeep...
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That is terrific news, congrats! I have been using CPAP for 10 years and I'm so tired of it. I've snored very loudly since I was a mere chubby kid though so I'm not sure if mine is due to the obesity or other factors and I finally got diagnosed and on the CPAP when I was 30. Saved my life, but it's annoying to deal with every night, taking it on trips, etc.
  • EasterKingston
    EasterKingston Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you!
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    how did you stop the snoring?

Bahahaha. Great NSV!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

Obstructive sleep apnoea, for those who don't know, isn't really just snoring. It's the sound of a person nearly choking to death multiple times every night from the sheer weight of their bodies crushing them. The noise is the choking in progress - the silence is when they stop breathing and the snorting sound afterwards is the body waking them up before they die.

Well done, you!

So true. Snoring does not mean one has sleep apnea. But sleep apnea is often accompanied by snoring. That is why sleep studies are done.
    When I had my sleep study in 2011, I scored a 75. That meant I stopped breathing for 10 seconds or more an average of 75 times per hour. No wonder I was tired all the time. My wife was tired too because my snoring woke her up and then noticing my breathing stop kept her awake.
    I had a sedated colonoscopy before the sleep study. I stopped breathing several times during it. And that was the final push to get the testing done.

It does feel good achieving these milestones along the way to my goal weight. And if sharing them helps motivate other "hose noses" that is a big plus in my book.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!