BMI - how much do you depend on your BMI #

Options

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    BMI is crap, get some calipers to be most accurate. My BMI considers me obese, but I actually am at 12% BF and fairly muscular.

calipers are no more accurate than online calculators. most BF% measuring tools are unreliable, but you can give yourself a decent idea by always using the same method and comparing.

Correct. Immersion bath and displacement is the best method of determining bf%. Good luck with that. It's costly and hard to find someone willing to do it for you.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Totally hear you and respect where you're coming from - my argument has been this: even people with large amounts of lean muscle mass can be at higher risk for disease BECAUSE of that. this is what BMI projects - risk of illness - and a body builder with 2% body fat can absolutely have the same risk of disease as someone with 30% body fat if they fall into the same range on the BMI scale. Disease isn't caused by fat - it's caused by the heart (or other organs) having to WORK HARDER for longer periods of time than they should to keep you system operating. And my hypothesis is that BMI is an excellent prognosticator on that front. The bigger you are, the harder it has to work, the more risk there is for complications.

keep in mind, I don't know that I'm right about this, it just makes sense when you put the pieces together.

Who lives the longest? Trim, fit people like Japanese, Okinawans, etc who are neither fat NOR ripped

Not quite accurate. But at least you said you dind't know if you were right.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    My BMI at 5'2" is 25.29 putting me at 'overweight'. I wear a size 0-4 jeans depending on the brand.
    My picture from this morning-

27EF8C7E-D60A-44B3-97A5-FD86309DC836-20992-000010854DDC1394.jpg

Do you think the BMI is a good indication of a healthy weight? I know I have a muffin - top I'm working on it, but what do you think about the standards for the BMI?

BMI is one of the worst POS tools for figuring out fitness and obesity. there are so many factors that aren't considered.

Such as?

As if they need to be restated here, lean body mass, implants, bone structure, RHR, pulmonary function, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't care about BMI too much...it's a reasonable starting point for setting goals, but it's not the most accurate thing in the world. According to BMI, I'm still overweight by quit a bit...according to my BF% I'm just at the high end of healthy and "average" for my stats. I had quite a bit of muscle on me as I am a former athlete and former Marine...I just happened to add a good layer of fat over time as well. All I care about is my BF%...it's the only thing that really matters.
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    BMI constantly gets argued about on this site. No one is ever going to agree. Use BMI as a tool not as your only measure of health. OP you look amazing! Keep up the good work.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Another point I would like to share: In the Navy, as part of a collateral duty, I was our station's "Fat Boy Coordinator." This meant I was in charge of running our regular PT tests, and measuring and weighing in every person assigned to the station. We did not use BMI. we used the military bf% that I sent a link to earlier. If someone was over 22%, I had to do daily couselings and go over health teaching, on healthy eating, portion control, exercise, etc. If they were >26%, I had to send them to a doctor where they would be evaluated using a more accurate bf% measurement. Many of the guys who had this came back with a MD note saying they were healthy and not obese, and their measurements were to be taken by the sick call from then on. These were generally the body builders, but there were others.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on it. It doesn't consider muscle. Plus my BMI is like 18.3, which puts me at "slightly underweight" when I know I'm not underweight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My BMI at 5'2" is 25.29 putting me at 'overweight'. I wear a size 0-4 jeans depending on the brand.
    My picture from this morning-

27EF8C7E-D60A-44B3-97A5-FD86309DC836-20992-000010854DDC1394.jpg

Do you think the BMI is a good indication of a healthy weight? I know I have a muffin - top I'm working on it, but what do you think about the standards for the BMI?

BMI is one of the worst POS tools for figuring out fitness and obesity. there are so many factors that aren't considered.

Such as?

As if they need to be restated here, lean body mass, implants, bone structure, RHR, pulmonary function, etc.

Also doesn't work so well for my friend who's a bilateral amputee... Especially since she can pick whatever height she wants to be.
  • sam18u
    sam18u Posts: 12
    Options
    It is a good indicator but would not give a perfect picture on the actual lean muscle mass you have. But still it give u something to work on..
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    NONE ......BF% is all I care about really
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think the funniest part of this thread are the responses calling BMI useless, but following it up with "my pants size is..."

because THAT is certainly an indicator of healthy weight. :laugh:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I think the funniest part of this thread are the responses calling BMI useless, but following it up with "my pants size is..."

It directly correlates to waist size which actually is in indication of health. So -- not sure why that is hilarious, but um yeah. Yes, sizes vary -- but if you are a size 10 US your waist is likely 27-29.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options

It directly correlates to waist size which actually is in indication of health. So -- not sure why that is hilarious, but um yeah. Yes, sizes vary -- but if you are a size 10 US your waist is likely 27-29.

Vanity sizing. There is very little consistency in sizes between manufacturers in the US.
    It's the same argument that many have used to discredit BMI - they don't "look" overweight. Perception clouds reality.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Because you need to consider your waist to height ratio. Pants size means nothing. A 10 on a tall person is going to be someone with a much different ratio than a short person. Clothes sizing is not a measurement of fitness, health or bf% especially since sizes vary so much. I have clothes that range from size 2 to 10 and they all fit although I do like your US sizes because I can wear a much smaller number in your generous sizing.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    BMI is a joke! Im 6"1, 230 lbs and im considered obese.
  • russianbabe83
    russianbabe83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    agree with everybody else, BMI is crap, i'm obese by those standards just because i carry a lot of muscle. Don't pay attention to that, i just go by how i look in the mirror and how i feel about myself
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I agree too, but.............and this is a big but................... our health insurance company goes by BMI for one of our 5 tests for being within the healthy range for our insurance. If we do not fall within the guidelines in all the categories, we will have to pay more for our insurance. Weight is the main reason I began here in March of 2012, I fortunately am good in all the other areas. We have until December of 2013 when we will be re-evaluated to meet the requirements. So I depend on BMI quite a bit. Isn't fair, but life sometimes isn't, and this is one of those times it isn't fair for me.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Not much. I don't have a ton of muscle but I still have a good amount in my legs from 7 years of marching band (you'd be surprised at the workout you get from marching 4 hours a day with a xylophone on your shoulders) and walking everywhere for ages (I lived in a small town most of my life and could walk to work, the store, etc. I didn't even get my license until I was 20 years old.) It doesn't take that into account.
    Still, I mentally high-fived myself this last week when I hit the "normal/healthy weight" category for my height. A lot of doctors go off of BMI and, as sad as it is, they take your problems more seriously when you're not overweight anymore (for a while my knee pain was "due to my weight." Recently they took time to figure out that it's a kneecap cartilage problem from being knock-kneed and made worse from the years of marching, etc. PFPS I think it is.)
  • tonrob38
    tonrob38 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't go by bmi, it does not account for any muscle you have gained. my husband is a personal trainer and he is 255, solid muscle and according to bmi he is overweight.
    go by body fat, or just go by your clothes, are they bigger, do you feel smaller, check your face and collar bones, take measurement
    the bmi can really discourage you especially when it says your overweigh and your gaining muscle
    I actullay know a girl, who was 125 when she started working out, went up to 136, but it was all muscle, cut abs and toned arms, awesome legs.
    good luck
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    agree with everybody else, BMI is crap, i'm obese by those standards just because i carry a lot of muscle. Don't pay attention to that, i just go by how i look in the mirror and how i feel about myself

What does how you feel about yourself have to do with whether or not your are overweight?