How to find the motivation to work out in the morning?

Options

Replies

• amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If I move in the morning - it's done for the rest of the day (don't have to worry about fitting it in).
    I too set clothes out night before - usually I can even work out in my PJs (depends on the workout) and my sports bra.
    I also don't do more than 30min in the morning. I'm not very away, it's still dark, and I have small kids that will be up any moment (and once they are up - there is no working out, and I need to be ready for work).

I'd suggest - just work on getting up 20min earlier for a week - and MOVE. No huge workout - maybe a walk or calisthenics, or something. Then the next week att 10min earlier (total of 30min early now) and add to your workout. The next week or 2, add 10 more minutes, etc.

FitnessBlender has some great workouts you can do at home too if getting to the gym is part of the hang-up.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just make myself do it. I know it's the only time I can get in a good, dedicated regular workout. I don't like getting up at 4:30, but I know I feel like crap if I don't work out, so I do it. You just have to do it regularly for a month or so, and, while it doesn't make it fun, it becomes a habit.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't post, because I CAN'T either. But I just do my workouts as soon as I get home from work. I'm also a night time shower person, so it makes sense for me to do my workouts at night, and then shower. Rather than shower at night, workout in the am, and go to work from there.

In short, I have absolutely nothing useful to add to this thread...
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1) Get everything ready the night before.
    2) Go to bed early.
    3) Move your alarm across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Play squash against your boss, would be a bad idea to stand them up. That's what got me out of bed at 6 this morning :bigsmile:
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Try preparing everything you need the night before. Have your water bottle ready and in the fridge. You gym bag and running shoes waiting for you at the door. Some say to sleep in your workout clothes but I would be very uncomfortable like that! And, if it isn't already, try moving your alarm clock across the room so you are forced to get up and turn it off. Once you do it for 2 weeks or so, you will have formed the habit and routine, so it will get easier.

Good luck!
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    As many others have said...."just do it". I have been getting up at 5 for months now to work out and I rarely wake up to the alarm. I am able to shut it off before it goes off and am up and running. Do I enjoy getting up that early, NO. But I know for me if I don't I won't exercise at night. Bad thing is I'm even awake that early on the weekends..yuk!

Give it a try...you'll probably like it.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yep.

What everyone else said.

You just do.

If you want to have your evenings free, you'll get up.

I want a happy husband and a happy kid. I want to keep my job. And I want to exercise. Easiest way to accomplish all this? Get up at 5:00 and get my butt out the door. I'm back by 6:00 to wake the kiddo, and I get to have dinner with my family and spend the evening with my husband.
  • AnnaAnafi
    AnnaAnafi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given all the good advice. I just want to re-emphasize...getting ready to go the night before, try to get to sleep earlier, and mainly just getting into the habit. The first 18 years of my workout life, I refused to work out in the morning (except when I did crew in college), but once I had a son, it was either do it in the morning or don't do it.

The biggest reward is knowing it's done for the day, then if you get stuck late at work, you don't miss your workout.
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I changed my alarm clock tone to something reminiscent of heavy metal. That alone tends to get my heart beating enough to wake me up. I then stumble into my clothes and step out the door. The longer I wait to go exercising, the harder it is for me to go.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    The only way I will get out of bed is if I sleep in my workout clothes. I have to get up at 5am to get a morning workout, but if I go after work, I have to wait until 7:15pm (after the little one's bedtime) to go to the gym and sacrifice all of my alone time with my husband :frown:
    As long as everything is ready to go, I don't even realize what's happening until I'm, already on my way to the gym.
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    I am so not a morning person! But I love the feeling of having my workout done for the day when I get up in the morning and do it. I love knowing that before I put a bite of food in my mouth, I have burned calories. It's a great feeling. And I do lay out my workout clothes before I go to bed so there is not much thinking for my brain to do in the morning! Good luck, you can do it!
  • magmama23
    magmama23 Posts: 21
    Options
    I am as far from a morning person as someone can be but my motivation to work out in the morning is having a workout partner...someone who is waiting for me that I don't want to let down. It is definately hard to drag my bottom out of bed every morning, but my days are so much nicer knowing my workout is done for the day and that I made time for my health.
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 every morning. I like knowing that I am getting it out of the way for the day. I usually work out at night too, but this way I don't have to if I find I am running out of time at night. I just remind myself, no one will do this for me but ME! Just do it!
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 in the morning to go workout. Back in 2006-2007 I was obsessed with working out and got up at 4:30 everyday to workout. I got out of the habit after a divorce and moving and then a baby. It took me FOREVER to get back into the habit of going. I know myself and I know how my mind works. I am not normally a snooze button person. When my alarm goes off for work, I get up right then and I go. So my thought was, If I kept setting my alarm for 4:30 i would eventually get up. So that's exactly what I did. I did that for like a month and hit snooze so many times or reset my clock. Then I told myself enough was enough and I was going no ifs, ands, or buts about it. So I went to bed thinking I'm going tomorrow. I got to bed early and set my alarm for 5am. I ended up waking up at 4:30 and decided I should just get up then and go so I've stuck with that since. When I came home I had like two hours before I had to leave for work so I seriously did everything I could in the morning. I did the laundry from the day before, washed the breakfast dishes and made the beds. When I got to work that day it was a great feeling knowing I not only worked out for the day, but I would be able to go home at 5pm and have NOTHING to do in my house except make dinner. With a toddler running around, this was great motivation! It's something you just have to set your mind to doing and once you decide you will go just keep pushing yourself until it's habit. Good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I just make myself do it. I know it's the only time I can get in a good, dedicated regular workout. I don't like getting up at 4:30, but I know I feel like crap if I don't work out, so I do it. You just have to do it regularly for a month or so, and, while it doesn't make it fun, it becomes a habit.

This is me, too. When I first started I would take a 5 hour energy as soon as I got up to help. I've weaned myself off those now. I go to bed early, like 8 o'clock. Son goes to bed, I go to bed. I have everything laid out. I have things recorded on my DVR that I want to watch - since I never seem to get control of the TV any other time, that helps too.

I like having my exercise done first thing. It gets it done, and anything else during the day is bonus. Now that I'm used to it, I prefer it.
  • chrisvinci
    Options
    I set the alarm to the time I need to get up to workout. And when it goes off, I think about how much worse I will feel if I DON'T get up and workout.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I just started doing that this week. My alarm goes off at 4:45 am. I sometimes snooze, and sometimes I get right up. Either way, I'm at the gym before 5:30.
    I love it. I am just too tired to go after work, and I don't like dealing with all the other people who workout right after work. The gym gets so crowded!
    I like to get to my gym right around 5:15 - 5:20 am. It's quiet, there aren't many people, and I can get in, do my stuff, and get out. :-)
  • Latona38
    Latona38 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the mornings. The first week was hard (since I love sleeping in) but once you get in the groove of things you find it easy to get up.