Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH! DO IT!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me, at least not enough to be worth it. Two years ago, I bought a shirt that was sooooo perfect, and I figured it would fit me great if I just lost maybe 5 more pounds. But as it turned out, I was tired of losing weight (had already lost over 30 pounds), and went to maintenance instead. In my maintenance phase I went up a few pounds sometimes and down a few others--in one of the down periods I wore the shirt. Once. I was really at the edge of whether I should be wearing it, but it didn't look too bad.

Two years after buying it, I'm finally where I can wear it comfortably. So I wore it again. Once. It's long sleeved. The cold weather just broke here, sending us straight into the 70s-80s. Shirt is going back into the closet until autumn. By which time I may be another 10 pounds down, and it could well be too big.

So, in two years, I've worn that shirt twice. Not entirely sure I've got my money's worth out of it.
  • PrittyPiton
    PrittyPiton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well - I'm a bad example - I have half of my closet with clothes that doesn't fit and I though - just a little weight loss and I will fit in. Well - they are hanging there already 1 to 3 years, never worn.
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If it inspires one to get into them, the go for it. But DON'T try to fit into it if you can't. Things falling over or hanging out isn't that attractive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Haha that made me laugh so much! Thankfully, I wouldn't try and squeeze into anything I cant!

They're coming in the post (I got a skirt and a top too) so I will try them on as soon as I get them, then I can judge whether or not I think I will EVER fit into them. I "only" want to lose 30lbs to get to goal - and the clothes aren't that seasonal which is lucky!
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It has worked for me sometimes. In the beginning getting into the smaller clothes was a big motivator and it seemed to work pretty well for me. But now I find that I sometimes lose weight in places I'm not expecting to, but not in places I am expecting it. The last few times I bought something small so I could shrink into it, when I shrunk, it really didn't fit me right. Currently, I have a pair of too small pants in my closet, and I'm hoping to fit into them in about 6 or 8 weeks, but I know how it goes and they may not be so great once I get there.
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've bought tons of clothes that are closer to my goal weight. I have yet to actually /wear/ them, but they /are/ motivation.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think it is hang it some where you will see it every day like your bed room, take a moment to visualize your self wearing it, looking good in it, and how you feel wearing the dress. Then later in the day when your tempted to eat some thing bad think of your vision of your self in the dress, and think what do you want more?
    I think the bedroom is a good place for it that way you see it first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i didn't buy any new clothes, but i did save old clothes. kept several things from highschool. what felt the best was when i actually waited too long to try them on again. most of the shirts and jeans are all much too big. so...being a clothes horse isn't always a bad thing. aside from the more sentimental stuff, everything went to good will. ^_^
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I woudl buy too small - but I have never thrown my smaller clothes out - and am adamant I will get back into them!

I'm down with this. The clothes are a big motivator for me. I have a lot of really cute clothes and nothing fits me anymore. I sure as hell AM going to fit into them again. I'm not made of money!
  • Bella0608
    Bella0608 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Go for it!, how great will you feel when it fits? You can do it great motivation :)
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't buy "goal clothes" or anything like that. I do think about the fact that I am getting smaller when I shop.

I don't normally buy smaller sizes but a couple months ago I found a great deal on slacks online. When I got them I liked them so much I went back and ordered another pair 2 sizes smaller. I tried on the smaller size this morning & they fit now.

I think it can be a good idea when you're losing and going through sizes quickly. A size or two smaller when the price is right makes sense. Paying full price for something many sizes too small is something I don't find economical.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of pants that were a size smaller...but only because they didnt have my size and it was a great deal. Lol..but it is only one size smaller..so not much longer to get into it.

I don't need to buy smaller clothes, since I have all my pre pregnancy clothes already for motivation. :)

But I don't see a problem with it. Whatever works for you.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I bought a size 12 wedding dress.....when I was a size 18! I was already working hard and had months to lose the weight. By the time I got married, I'd lost 53 pounds and my seamstress warned me not to loose any more or the dress would be too big!

I'm a big fan of motivational clothing. :)
  • zefreak
    zefreak Posts: 37
    Options
    Ive done the same thing :D I brought a gorgeous top, was only $5 so was like why not? I have also kept all my too small clothes from a few years ago in hope I will fit them again one day (I have already been able to pull out 2 jeans and 3 tops from clothes I put away just before christmas)
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    well, I don't think it's a great idea, as often that becomes something to obsess over, but at 9 quid, might as well. You can always resell it on ebay!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    well, I don't think it's a great idea, as often that becomes something to obsess over, but at 9 quid, might as well. You can always resell it on ebay!

I agree with that it's not a great idea because I was findiing that when I fit into a piece of clothing I bought too small at first, the cut was all wrong. But my body is fussy when it comes to fitting into clothes.

However if it's at a great price, why not!
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing quite that. When my current jeans get comfy, not baggy, just comfy, I buy a pair of jeans that just barely big enough. But, not so tight I can't breath. The tightness of them reminds me all day that I will not be able to wear them continually if I don't eat right. Also reminds me to pull my abs in. I think when I wear loose clothes, I tend to overeat. Working so far.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Do you know how you tend to lose weight or is the dress fitted?

I have bought a jacket and a dress that are too small across my chest, but it fits elsewhere- I'm not game on guessing for my bottom half.
  • sophasaurus
    Options
    I personally think I'd prefer to lose all the weight and then go shopping and buy hot clothes that actually fit! But that's just me. I know if I got clothes too small as a motivator I'd probably just feel disheartened that they didn't fit.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    this has never worked for me.