Hi I'm new!

Options
Hello,

I finally started my journey 2 weeks ago tomorrow - first off by just joining the gym - then the following week found MFP and have proceeded log my calories... and to stalk the community boards... Such inspiring stuff here and its genuniely motivating me to get off my *kitten*!

Basically, I wanted to say "hi" ... but also try and find out a little bit more about this strength training - since I've started I've only been doing cardio... and I get the impression this isn't right...

So.. what type of strength training should I be doing?

Replies

• Tim_ww37
    Tim_ww37 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the boards! I'm not exactly new, but I'm only recently becoming active in the boards and groups. Honestly, for me and strength training I have to follow a program, at least for now. Otherwise I would probably wouldn't stay motivated. I'm currently doing the Supreme 90 Day system(weights and cardio), which is a muscle confusion system similar to P90x. I'm sure someone will have some better general advice though, haha
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    Can't say much about strength training as I usually jog for exercise, but this is only my first day on this site! Would love to add you as a friend! :tongue:
  • kirstA90
    kirstA90 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the boards! I'm not exactly new, but I'm only recently becoming active in the boards and groups. Honestly, for me and strength training I have to follow a program, at least for now. Otherwise I would probably wouldn't stay motivated. I'm currently doing the Supreme 90 Day system(weights and cardio), which is a muscle confusion system similar to P90x. I'm sure someone will have some better general advice though, haha

so do you do this at home? haha I'm all a bit bewildered by the idea of strength training... like is it just the weight stuff at the gym?!?! haha
  • kirstA90
    kirstA90 Posts: 7
    Options
    Can't say much about strength training as I usually jog for exercise, but this is only my first day on this site! Would love to add you as a friend! :tongue:

Thanks for the add! Good to have someone embarking on thie journey at a similar time to me :smile:
  • Tim_ww37
    Tim_ww37 Posts: 11
    Options

so do you do this at home? haha I'm all a bit bewildered by the idea of strength training... like is it just the weight stuff at the gym?!?! haha

Yea, I do it at home. It's a 10 disc dvd system and you follow a calendar. I just do it in my front room. You use a light set and a heavier set of hand weights and a stability ball.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome aboard. Feel free to add me if you'd like.

I do strength training (heavy lifting) 4 days a week, I'd be glad to offer some advice/assistance.
  • taz69tazz
    taz69tazz Posts: 57
    Options
    Anyone can friend me .. i started this site about 4 weeks now or so and its been great ... im trying to lose 100+ pounds i know its possible just watch what i eat and and exercise is the 2 key words... this is the 2nd week i posted in my food diary and it was great and intersting ..i never new how many calories was in some of these foods till i joined this MFP
  • gulfportgirl
    Options
    I'm new too, as of right now, and not feeling very encouraged. i've signed up twice before, but didn't follow through and now i weigh more than ever. i am trying to lose about 55 lbs. glad to see it's starting to work for you.