• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yep. Sodium adds fat.
    bird.png
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I would be more worried about my sodium than protein, yours is extremely high on some days.

Yep. Sodium adds fat.

What? No! Are you trolling right now?

Excessive sodium causes high blood pressure and fluid retention.... Short term "weight" gain which is most likely water, but not FAT.

Fat is caused by a calorie surplus.

Nope. High blood pressure and fluid retention lead to laziness and inactivity, which lead to sitting on the couch munching potato chips and watching Opra, which leads to fat gain.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would be more worried about my sodium than protein, yours is extremely high on some days.

Yep. Sodium adds fat.

Excessive sodium causes high blood pressure and fluid retention.... Short term "weight" gain which is most likely water, but not FAT.

Nope. High blood pressure and fluid retention lead to laziness and inactivity, which lead to sitting on the couch munching potato chips and watching Opra, which leads to fat gain.

Ah I see what you did there.... The "domino effect" logic...

Well then, sodium definitely causes fat gain!

/sarcasm -.-
  • BeachIron
    Options

Yep. Sodium adds fat.

I prefer to call it my "Containment Policy"
  • shan0881
    shan0881 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am glad to hear other people agree that MFP does not alot eneough protien...for the first few weeks I tried to follow a lower protien diet...I just couldn't..blood suger fluctuations and too many carbs to get my calories.(also being celiac I am not used to alot of carbs) I went back to an old rule of equal parts protien and carbs at every meal. I feel so much better am gaining muscle and losing fat! I eat almost only protien and fruit/veggies. in 3 months went from a size 16 to a 10. Still not at my goal yet but happy with that so far... protien is the building blocks:smile: for your body...I think MFP should change thier targets!
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Yep. Sodium adds fat.

I prefer to call it my "Containment Policy"

Or pre empting fatness?
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    I am glad to hear other people agree that MFP does not alot eneough protien...for the first few weeks I tried to follow a lower protien diet...I just couldn't..blood suger fluctuations and too many carbs to get my calories.(also being celiac I am not used to alot of carbs) I went back to an old rule of equal parts protien and carbs at every meal. I feel so much better am gaining muscle and losing fat! I eat almost only protien and fruit/veggies. in 3 months went from a size 16 to a 10. Still not at my goal yet but happy with that so far... protien is the building blocks:smile: for your body...I think MFP should change thier targets!

Way to go!!
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    1 gram per each LBM pound. Add a couple more grams if you exercise (lifting) and want to increase LBM.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "too much protein". What percentage of your macro nutrients is your protein intake on the average? Also, activity level while on diet may require a bit more carbs or fat but that's performance related and not going to work against your weight loss goals (assuming you want to lose weight).
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as excess protein?
    That's a lie. Too much causes problems with your kidneys.
    People over emphasize the importance of protein.
    You don't need 200g of protein per day to be healthy,or
    1 gram per pound. Read the rda and other studies that prove
    .5-.7 per pound is ENOUGH.
    Protein is cool and all but yeaa...I'm going for the ice cream!
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "too much protein". What percentage of your macro nutrients is your protein intake on the average? Also, activity level while on diet may require a bit more carbs or fat but that's performance related and not going to work against your weight loss goals (assuming you want to lose weight).

I'm sorry but the body does not give two hoots what "percentage" the body gets of this or that. It comes down to QUANITY of each macro.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options

Per pound of WHAT exactly? Because minimum is about 1 gram per pound of LBM and the higher end of scale is 1 pound per gram of BW.

You saying half a gram to point 7 per pound doesn't mean anything unless you specify what the pound is actually of.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Yep. That's why all the bodybuilders and powerlifters are on dialysis machines.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    It does vary though depending on your goals which the article I posted goes through.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options

Yep. That's why all the bodybuilders and powerlifters are on dialysis machines.

This.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Per pound of body weight.

I'm not even going to argue.
    I'm 100 confident that the rds set guidelines and the studies
    Done by actual NUTRITIONIST /scientist know more than you.

I do hope you have a wonderful day though :)
  • BeachIron
    Options

I totally agree. *flounce*
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options

Ok so maybe for an average person that isn't actively trying to lose weight or grow muscle.

The RDS is for the average person. People weight lifting etc need MORE protein.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

Ok so maybe for an average person that isn't actively trying to lose weight or grow muscle.

Depends on your definition of need. To be healthy/live no, for optimal muscle growth/repair, probably.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options

Depends on your definition of need. To be healthy/live no, for optimal muscle growth/repair, probably.

I agree with you there. But aren't weight lifters and exercisers wanting to aim for optimal muscle growth and repair? If not that kind of defeats the purpose of lifting etc.