Gain

Options
Hello My Fitness Pals.

I am writing this for a friend who wants to gain weight, he is 24 years old and he weight about 120 pounds. He tried everything he could but failed.
I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas to help him gain some weight.
Thanks.

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    lift weights..
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Hi there...

I'm a skinny runt by nature. My genetic proclivity wants me to be a string bean. I've battled my genetics for going on 13 years now and think I've done a pretty good job at it.

The bottom line is he hasn't tried everything.

The first place he needs to start is diet. Really skinny folks have a hard time eating enough to gain weight. They might think they're eating a lot... but they're not. If he's serious about adding weight, he needs to be consuming 18 or so calories per pound of body weight.

Of course the foods that comprise these calories are very important as well. To save space and time though, suffice it to say he should shoot for a balanced composition of protein, carbs and fats.

Couple this with intelligent weight training 3-6 days per week and wait... patiently.

I can't stress enough though how much this is about the amount of food he's eating. If he puts himself in a surplus consistently, his body will have no choice but to gain weight.
  • jetSpeed28
    jetSpeed28 Posts: 34
    Options
    thanks
    i will let him know,

Hi there...

I'm a skinny runt by nature. My genetic proclivity wants me to be a string bean. I've battled my genetics for going on 13 years now and think I've done a pretty good job at it.

The bottom line is he hasn't tried everything.

The first place he needs to start is diet. Really skinny folks have a hard time eating enough to gain weight. They might think they're eating a lot... but they're not. If he's serious about adding weight, he needs to be consuming 18 or so calories per pound of body weight.

Of course the foods that comprise these calories are very important as well. To save space and time though, suffice it to say he should shoot for a balanced composition of protein, carbs and fats.

Couple this with intelligent weight training 3-6 days per week and wait... patiently.

I can't stress enough though how much this is about the amount of food he's eating. If he puts himself in a surplus consistently, his body will have no choice but to gain weight.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Google these words - "Hard Gainer". The musclehead websites are loaded with info on this topic. Lots of it involves training and nutrition, and I would read those. Others will involve pharmaceuticals, and those ain't so cool.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This site has options for weight gain as well as loss. Maybe if he set up a profile here it would tell him how many calories he should consume to safely gain weight.