No junk-but not enough fresh, whole foods

Options
Hey, so my dilemma is trying to fit more fresh, whole foods into my diet. Especially fruits and veggies. However, I always eat things that aren't considered unhealthy, but I don't feel healthy eating them. For example, I eat a lot of 90-100% dark chocolate. I also make things like 'healthy cookies' (almond flour, maple syrup, egg, coconut flour, etc...). I also do thngs like 'ordering healthy' at resturaunts (getting thai curry instead on noodles--and yes, curry IS healthy; coconut milk is healthy!). I also eat things like dates and nuts a lot--while healthy, I feel these are really dense and actually, not really needed.

How do I stop this? I want to have a diet consisting of lots of fresh vegetables, green smoothies, lean meats, less 'healthy snack foods' and less eating out.

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Dates and nuts are some of the healthiest foods. I wouldn't eat a ton of them but I wouldn't stop eating them either.

If you want to add more vegetables to the diet you might want to start making green smoothies in the morning or whenever. I make them about half fruit half veggies and they almost always taste good.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand your question. It sounds like you know what you want/need to do, now all you have to do is do it. Are you looking for meal ideas?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    First of all, dates and nuts are great...I'd say, particularly with nuts...they are needed...they are chalk full of heart healthy monounsaturated fats that help clear your arteries of bad cholesterol and boost your good cholesterol among other things. They have numerous other nutrient qualities as well.

In RE to getting more veggies and fruit...you just have to do it...make a point of it. I really don't have any other suggestions than just do it.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" is often used improperly or without needed "modifiers" (like "healthy in moderation") when used to refer to food. Chocolate and dates have healthy components and are definitely "good" for you - in moderation. You could not base an eating plan on either of those foods, which I think you have realized. Look at the "macros" and "micros" of any food you are considering eating and then decide if the "good" features warrant making it a major part of your diet or a minor part. Fresh/frozen/tinned vegetable are "mostly" all good and should be a major component of most diets (tinned veg is sometimes high in salt, so fresh or frozen are usually better choices if available). Chocolate and dates are typically semi-high to quite high in sugar, but have components that may support "healthiness", so can be included,without "guilt" but should probably be a minor part of most diets.
  • Onlyyoucanbeyou
    Onlyyoucanbeyou Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" is often used improperly or without needed "modifiers" (like "healthy in moderation") when used to refer to food. Chocolate and dates have healthy components and are definitely "good" for you - in moderation. You could not base an eating plan on either of those foods, which I think you have realized. Look at the "macros" and "micros" of any food you are considering eating and then decide if the "good" features warrant making it a major part of your diet or a minor part. Fresh/frozen/tinned vegetable are "mostly" all good and should be a major component of most diets (tinned veg is sometimes high in salt, so fresh or frozen are usually better choices if available). Chocolate and dates are typically semi-high to quite high in sugar, but have components that may support "healthiness", so can be included,without "guilt" but should probably be a minor part of most diets.

I liked this answer--thank you.