How do I lose 20 pounds in 3 months?

Options
I see people do it and if I lose 2 pounds a week that's 24 pounds in three months but hooow? Just eating in my macros and working out? Will that really work? How do I stick to it?

Replies

• heartzyoga
    Options
    Yes,

stick to myfitnesspal, up your fitness level and you can do it =)

20 lbs in 3 months is pretty much my goal as well =)
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Watch what you eat and work out. So many people act like it's just magically going to happen and complain when it doesn't. All you have to do is eat as healthily as possible and work out. The weight will come off.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    7b590a0fb18980d58ccd010c4f8fce22_zpsf829659b.gif
  • veggiesalltheway
    Options
    It can be done, but I takes me 6 months to lose 12 pounds..I have lost and regained those 12 pounds 10 times...now its taking me a month to lose a pound..because I go up and down weekly. Its maddening. You can lose 20 pounds in 3 months, plenty of people do..I would be happy with 15 in 3...5 pounds a month..thats all I have to lose and it does not want to come off.
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Dr. Weird - How to lose weight in seconds (Youtube)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAPDvo2UBM

(obviously, my comment is a humorous approach)
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What is your diet like? How much water do you drink?

20 lbs in 3 months is very very attainable. So far, I have lost the most weight following "Eat to Live" (a book). Good read!

Jen
  • jasgroup
    jasgroup Posts: 2
    Options
    I started on Jan 14, 2013 and I've lost 23.4 pounds as of this week. That's 2 lbs a week over the last 12. It's hard, but it can be done. You need to be disciplined, eat CLEAN (no processed junk, more fruits and veggies, limit alcohol and sugary soda, etc), and most importantly, track everything you put in your mouth. I have a friend who said she stops tracking after she's hit her calorie limit. That's won't help you because when you don't track completely, every day, you're not living in reality (not you, but whoever doesn't track consistently). I also got a reality check on what a true portion is. When I first started, I measured everything because often, what we "think" is a cup, or we "think" is 10 chips, or we "think" is 3 ounces, is really more. I also walk 3x a week, moderate pace, on our treadmill. I had a few weeks where I gained half a pound, often happens during that time of the month, but if you gain a bit, don't beat yourself up. Just keep sticking with the plan and the weight will slowly melt off, which is the safe way to do it. I too have read and am following the Eat to Live book by Dr. Joel Furhman like the poster before me (Jan). Good luck!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

i actually watched him yesterday (not by choice...was in a waiting room all day), but he showed us how to lose 20 pounds in 28 days!!! Dr. OZ is full of miracles!!! (and no, I am so not serious....he is crazy in the head).
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

QUOTE:

i actually watched him yesterday (not by choice...was in a waiting room all day), but he showed us how to lose 20 pounds in 28 days!!! Dr. OZ is full of miracles!!! (and no, I am so not serious....he is crazy in the head).
    Edited by LEM_hmrthwr1407 on Wed 04/10/13 04:37 PM

Haha...yeah, you didn't watch the video...

I was joking about an Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode...the video is animated and clearly an over-dramatization. :o)

Just wanted to clarify - NOT Dr. OZ or anything even close to that, haha.
  • JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Work your *kitten* off when you workout. :) don't stop when you get tired, go the extra mile. It'll work. :)
  • EqualLove
    EqualLove Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i lost 14 in a month, walked 6 miles minimum a day.
  • 02oakleyb29
    02oakleyb29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started on Jan 21, 2013 and have lost 28 lbs so far...If I can do it, anyone can...seriously. You just have to be dedicated and motivated...work out on days when you don't want too. Pass up on the monthly birthday cake at work and the candy bar calling your name in the vending machine.

If you want it bad enough, you will do it.

Good Luck :)
  • jamsnanny
    Options
    I have found that journaling EVERYTHING I put in my mouth keeps me on track. Even if I go over my recommeded calorie allowance for the day, it is ok. With journalling, you can see each day where you stuggle and even make notes as to what may have enabled you to overeat or not enough. Since February 5th, I am down 20 pounds as of April 1st. The last few weeks I haven't journaled as I had been, so I don't know what kind of progress I will see at the end of the month when I go to the doctors. Good luck in your endeavour and with hard work and determination, you will succeed.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I like Dr. Oz. Maybe that is just me lol.
    I see people do it and if I lose 2 pounds a week that's 24 pounds in three months but hooow? Just eating in my macros and working out? Will that really work? How do I stick to it?

Anyway, you haven't responded yet but I will try to answer some of your questions.

It depends on how much you weigh. If you only have 20 lbs to lose, say you are 140 and want to get to 120, it may be harder than you think. At your age though, it may be easier. It all depends on your dedication (in your control) and your body chemistry (out of your control).

Your best bet would be to eat A LOT of veggies (leafy greens especially) and some fruit, try to limit your animal products too. Don't eat meat at every meal and limit your dairy to a few times a week or switch to something like almond milk. Eat some nuts as snacks, take a multivitamin, drink a lot of water, no soda or diet soda, eat beans to replace some of that protein you won't be getting from all the meat (kidney beans, black beans, lima beans... etc. if you get them canned make sure to rinse and drain them), and some whole grains here and there such as brown rice, quinoa, etc.

Exercise at least 2-3 times a week with cardio and mix up some weight training in there. Remember muscles help burn fat!

Sticking to it isn't the easy part, it is the hardest IMO. If you are dedicated and ready, you can do it. I suggest reading "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Watch documentaries such as "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and "Forks over Knives".

Adjust your taste buds to get away from the processed sugar and crap. Choose exercises that you like and switch them up (as your body will get used to them and you will get bored).

Most of all remember this quote... "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right".
  • mireinmeyun
    Options
    i did just by changing my diet. I actually consume more calories than I did before. I really cut back on wheat, rice, quinoa, and potatoes.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    it will also depend on where that 20 lbs are... I was certain when I started losing that I would lose 20 lbs quickly... I'm down 23 lbs now in something like 7 weeks... if I didn't have 50 to go at the beginning, that would actually be considered a concern! If it's your last 20 lbs, or you aren't overweight, then it's a little harder to get lbs off... especially if you sculpt your body in the process.
    I had to join weight watchers and quit the gym for my last 10 lbs last time (bad move, ultimately my skinny closet's demise) because a clean diet and exercise just weren't cutting it
  • cindijelly
    cindijelly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Probably, make sure it's a plan you can live with. That makes the tough days easier
  • cindijelly
    Options
    it will also depend on where that 20 lbs are... I was certain when I started losing that I would lose 20 lbs quickly... I'm down 23 lbs now in something like 7 weeks... if I didn't have 50 to go at the beginning, that would actually be considered a concern! If it's your last 20 lbs, or you aren't overweight, then it's a little harder to get lbs off... especially if you sculpt your body in the process.
    I had to join weight watchers and quit the gym for my last 10 lbs last time (bad move, ultimately my skinny closet's demise) because a clean diet and exercise just weren't cutting it
    Why was WW and quitting the gym bad, did you gain?
  • cindijelly
    Options
    i did just by changing my diet. I actually consume more calories than I did before. I really cut back on wheat, rice, quinoa, and potatoes.
    Good to know, was there exercise involved? Did you eat over your calories?