Eating to much protien?

Options

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as excess protein?
    That's a lie. Too much causes problems with your kidneys.
    NO. (The kidney thing)

It's always been incorrect, it will always be incorrect. Wow.

Where are all these people getting the "too much protein causes kidney problems" myth from????
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I'm not even going to argue.
    I'm 100 confident that the rds set guidelines and the studies
    Done by actual NUTRITIONIST /scientist know more than you.
    LOL. Priceless. Maybe READ those studies -- the one's that show excess protein doesn't cause kidney damage.
  • MommaTBZ
    MommaTBZ Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there! So, I asked my Professor about this since it seems to be a hot topic. Too much of anything can be harmful to your body, obviously. When talking about protein, however, it would be difficult to consume so much that you would cause harm to your body. With that said, however, in extreme cases where an individual is fasting or on a fad diet (which I am not recommending) and is consuming only protein, the protein can become toxic and poison your organs, like your kidneys. That is why there is an LD50 for every substance (even water), or a Lethal Dose at which 50% of the population dies after consuming (or being exposed to) a certain amount of the substance.

Now, if you are eating normally and exercising, and consuming fruits and veggies and drinking enough liquids along with your protein, you should be totally fine. There is no need to worry unless you are only drinking protein shakes and nothing else.

if you are not on some extreme diet (which you shouldn't be without a Doctor's permission), the only thing to be concerned about is getting enough exercise. They say to eat protein because it keeps you fuller longer, and has the fewest calories. But if you aren't exercising enough, anything you eat in excess will turn into fat, even protein. Also, lean proteins like fish and white meats are healthier than red meats because of the fat content and cholesterol...which ultimately contribute to blood pressure problems.

Bottom line is, everything in moderation. Stay healthy people! we can do it!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Excess protein will be turned into fat so try not to go too far over.

In an overall caloric deficit? Tell me more about this calorie wizardry.....

This is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

excess protein does NOT turn into fat.

Actually, too much protein absolutely will turn into fat. As will too many carbs. So does...wait for it...too much fat!

Eat at a calorie deficit, and none of this horrific alchemy is going to happen to you (plural) lol.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Fat gain is from a calorie surplus, not necessarily lack of exercise.

The calorie surplus doesn't matter if the calories are from protein, fat, carbs or whatever
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Think of your protein goal as a minimum rather than a maximum. You can customize your macros under Goals -> Change Goals -> Custom from the homepage.

Thanks... I was wondering this too.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    U

Actually, too much protein absolutely will turn into fat. As will too many carbs. So does...wait for it...too much fat!

Eat at a calorie deficit, and none of this horrific alchemy is going to happen to you (plural) lol.

Yeah I agree with you there. I meant excess protein while on a calorie deficit won't turn into fat.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    U

Yeah I agree with you there. I meant excess protein while on a calorie deficit won't turn into fat.

I was just teasing you. Drink your water (or not, but if you follow the next part of my commentary you'll wish you did!) and eat all the protein you want people, seriously...it's not going to hurt you in the least.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    :P
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Per pound of body weight.

I do hope you have a wonderful day though :)

I totally agree. *flounce*

Men can't flounce without looking camp....just sayin.....:laugh:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    IF you think you are going over with the protein and it may damage other organs (liver or kidneys) but feel you need it for your training. You can also use Dandelion Root and Milk thistle. Dandelion root is a diuretic that keeps your body clean and flushes out the kidneys and the Milk thistle helps protect the liver.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Per pound of body weight.

I do hope you have a wonderful day though :)

I totally agree. *flounce*

Did you just flounce? :laugh:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not the same thing as body re-composition. Stop flexing your broscience e-peens everywhere. Your physique goals may not be the same for someone else. If someone decides they want to lose weight through diet alone there is no reason to increase protein levels.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not the same thing as body re-composition. Stop flexing your broscience e-peens everywhere. Your physique goals may not be the same for someone else. If someone decides they want to lose weight through diet alone there is no reason to increase protein levels.

True dat. Skinny and saggy looks gooooood!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Actually, too much protein absolutely will turn into fat. As will too many carbs.

so in a hypothetical experiment giving healthy subjects say 1g of radiolabeled proteins containing all amino acids after having them eat a meal with say 3000 calories(with adequate protein in the meal) a significant portion of those radio labeled amino acids would end up as stored body fat?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I always eat to munch protein

I hope you're not going by MFPs calculations... You need to do your own

I think MFP knows more than the random member

I posted a link to an article that explains the maths to do your own calculations. MFP grossly underestimates protein needs.

I'm pretty sure I get all the protein I need from the beans and brown rice I consume from my strictly vegan diet

That's a metric sh!tload of beans.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Actually, too much protein absolutely will turn into fat. As will too many carbs.
    so in a hypothetical experiment giving healthy subjects say 1g of radiolabeled proteins containing all amino acids after having them eat a meal with say 3000 calories(with adequate protein in the meal) a significant portion of those radio labeled amino acids would end up as stored body fat?
    Did you read what he actually wrote? Especially when he said:
    He's correct. Eating ANY macronutrient to an excess of required calories (above expenditure) will result in storage of body fat.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Did you read what he actually wrote? Especially when he said:
    He's correct. Eating ANY macronutrient to an excess of required calories (above expenditure) will result in storage of body fat.

...but it won't be the protein that technically ends up as bodyfat. all I was saying.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    ...but it won't be the protein that technically ends up as bodyfat. all I was saying.
    How do you figure it won't be protein that ends up as bodyfat?

Excess protein (above and beyond the body's needs) even in a calorie deficit is often still converted to glucose... (gluconeogenesis) ...

While in a deficit that glucose is used for cellular respiration, sure... but in the presence of a caloric excess, that glucose (that was once protein) most certainly will be stored as adipose tissue...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

The deamination of the amino acids would likely strip your labels. But the scaffold carbons will certainly be used in lipolysis.