First photos of me at 280 pounds and now at 232

Options
Hanfordrose
Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
In November of 2011, I weighed more than 280+ pounds. I stopped looking at the scale at the VA hospital, when it said that I was more than 280. I don't know exactly what I weighed on the day this photo was taken. I only know that I was in a lot of pain. Both my knees were screaming, and I was only weeks away from living in my wheelchair with only a few painful steps on my walker to the bathroom.

11-19-11280poundsstandinginpain_zps716c581e.jpg?t=1365631677

11-19-11280poundsandbarelyabletostand_zpsa1e2ae0f.jpg?t=1365553228

I gave away that jacket on the day that I saw this photo. I hated how I looked. My belly was barely covered, and my butt was pushing the back of the jacket outward. I literally filled that jacket from front to back. I could barely get my pants up over my butt. I was almost splitting out the seams in the area of my inner thighs.

One year later...November 2012, my weight was down only slightly to 270.9 pounds; and my doctor and my surgeon both said that I should NOT BE STANDING OR WALKING...and certainly never without my walker. The risk was too great.My x-rays showed that degerative arthritis and years of carrying my weight had destroyed my knees. No cartilage or cushion remained in either knee. The bone heads had dozens of small fractures, just waiting to spread through the long bones. I could not afford to fall again.

My surgeon set me a goal. "Lose 70 pounds, and I will give you 2 new titanium knees." That meant...no more wheelchair, no more walker and I could walk freely again. I could run, if I wanted; but I was somewhat doubtful that I could pull off that challenge. I hadn't weighed less than 200 pounds in more than 30 years. Most of my life, I had weighed more than 240 pounds.

I ruled out gastric surgery for fear of complications and permanent 'damage' to my stomach, but I finally decided to 'give dieting a try'. In December, I decided to start counting calories. That's when I found MFP.

This morning, I weighed in at 232.0 pounds...almost 40 pounds down since my surgeon asked me to lose 70 pounds.

I had my hubbie takes some photos of me today. Clothes that really fit me are not in my closet. Everything is loose, but I am not going to buy any newer, smaller clothes...until I reach Onederland. New clothes and new knees will come at the same time.

04-10-13232pounds01_zpse84102db.jpg?t=1365636453

04-10-13232pounds02_zpsd8f5517f.jpg?t=1365636534

By the way...I am wearing the same size pants in my photos today; and they are so loose that I may have to take in the waist, if I plan to wear them much longer. All of my tops are now baggy. I have no 'tight' clothing left.

Replies

• robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    great job...=)
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What a difference already! You look great. I bet you are feeling much better. Keep up the great work :flowerforyou:
  • brian1383
    brian1383 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You look younger and happier, too! Keep going -- your story is very inspirational!
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Way to go! :)
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Phenomenal job and I have no doubt you'll reach your goal. And I'm sure your knees are "thanking you" for each pound lost. Keep up the good work and hopefully the much wished for knee replacements let you dance, walk, play and even run if you choose to do so!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You are doing so well! :drinker:
  • bellinger11
    Options
    Wonderful! Love your big smile. You'll be successful; I have no doubt!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Congrats to you!!
  • SallyBeekman
    Options
    You look super gorgeous! Thumbs up! xoxoxox
  • jazzy227
    jazzy227 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome job!!! You look wonderful. I'm sure your knees feel a lot better already :wink:
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lookin' Good, Lady! Congrats on the loss!! Great momentum
  • waylessa
    waylessa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You should be very proud-your committment and hard work are paying off:bigsmile:
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Outstanding.. keep up the good work, and you will get there and beyond....:flowerforyou:
  • lildebbie121
    lildebbie121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Looking good! You do look younger, and I just love the smile on your face! Keep up the great work. It is really paying off! :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I got my new knees in Jan of 2012 and it was the best thing I ever did. Yes, recovery was tough, but I did what they they told me and never looked back.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Congrats on the new life...and you will make onederland so good luck in knee surgery :) new knee for a new you!! so inspiring!!
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    great job! yeah for putting your health first!
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Very impressive. I know how tough it is to have to lose weight before surgery, I'm in the same boat. The motivation that one day I won't have a hip that hurts and may be able to walk a 5K is what keeps me going. Good for you!!! Keep it up!!!
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success -- and thank you for sharing your powerful and compelling story. Very inspiring.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!