Fear of Driving?

Options
MayaSPapaya
MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
I'm going to be 19 this June and still don't have my lisence.
I've practiced driving plenty of times and even took driver's ed in high school, but I'm still so scared whenever I get behind the wheel.
Any advice on how to shake that fear?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    The desire to chose when and where i fished with my boat was my deciding factor to get over my fear of driving (true story).

HAVING to drive around Houston effing TX cured any and all fear of driving anywhere for me once and for all though.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    practice in empty parking lots
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    For some people it takes a while to get confortable behind the wheel. For others, it just seems to come naturally. I would agree that more practice in parking lots would be helpful. I had a daughter that was uncomfortable even though I knew she was ready to drive. The time came when I felt she should take the driver's test. She didn't think she was ready. I advised her to take the test. Lo and behold, she passed it! That dramatically boosted her confidence and I think it made her a better driver because of it.
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was a late starter too. Stick to roads you know at first. Slowly venture out of your comfort zone when the roads are quiet (Sunday's?). Eventually you will gain confidence. Good luck.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It is healthy to have a little fear, and normal. It will get better with more experience. Morning commutes like today (snow and ice) still terrify me and I am 61. You need to be anticipating other drivers actions all the time, even if you are a good, experienced driver. Your concern is kind of a good thing.

We didn't let our daughter get her license until the summer before she was a senior in high school @ 17. It was a very stressful time for us all with the constant "all of my friends drive". She is a better driver for it. Has not had one accident yet, and will be 29 in a couple of weeks.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Alcohol.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Alcohol.

Yes Alcohol is the antidote for both road rage and fear of drinking. They don't call it liquid courage for nothing. Remember before you get behind the wheel of a care always make sure to be completely stuffed to the rafters will large quantities of alcohol.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Practice! Lots of it. I was late and didn't get my license until 25 (last Nov.) I had my permit for 5 years but keep using the excuse well I won't be driving often or I never drive alone so there was no needed for it when in reality I was scared. Getting on the highway was absolutely terrifiying for me.

I still hate driving but I'm no longer afraid of it. Evenutally I got used to it and truthfully it was the close calls/almost accidents that gave me the confidence in my ability to react as necessary and use appropriate caution.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I didn't get my license until I was 19 too! I'm also 34 and have never wrecked my car. You'll get used to it. I didn't drive on the freeway until I was 24. You got this!!
  • Jperry2755
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!!
  • lorieaucoin
    lorieaucoin Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 27 and I still don't have my license - I'm lucky that my husband likes being my chauffeur lol
    Seriously though - I got my permit when I was 17, took driver's ed, and did great but the actually getting behind the wheel of a car terrifies me to this day. I always explain it as "It's not the fear of driving that stops me - it's the fear of the OTHER people driving that terrifies me."
    I did drive a couple times when my ex-boyfriend refused to drive me, and I did fine, but it's been probably 4 years since I've driven.
    I don't know when I'll get my license, but I know it's not going to be anytime soon.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    There's really no rush to get a drivers license. I was 19 when I learned how to drive. Had to rely on my parents, brother, and friends for rides when I was in high school and though it sucked, they didn't mind at all. It was more along the lines of how expensive it is to buy a car, get insurance, GAS MONEY, and all sorts of issues that could come out by getting a car. It took a lot of practice-had to log 50 hours worth of driving time plus the AAA course during the summer.
  • joek5637
    joek5637 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    just put your self in the car in a empty parking lot practice different maneuvers' until you feel comfortable with each maneuver then move on to the next one that how I got a few drivers who where trying to get there cdls(commercial driver license) just cut them lose in a parking lot but don't start driving until you feel safe an comfortable do not rush it
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be 19 this June and still don't have my lisence.
    I've practiced driving plenty of times and even took driver's ed in high school, but I'm still so scared whenever I get behind the wheel.
    Any advice on how to shake that fear?

My sons mother is 26, she still doesn't drive for similar reasons. I tried to teach her...her current boyfriend tried to teach her. She just won't.

Her mother is 50something. She doesn't drive either.

I can't give you any advice other than to just do it. The fear will eventually go away.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I promise it will be ok

14993_109730065707554_100000116825772_268063_3811498_n_zps552efe1b.jpg
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I promise it will be ok

14993_109730065707554_100000116825772_268063_3811498_n_zps552efe1b.jpg

:heart:
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Learn from an accredited driving school, and not just people who will pass on bad habits.

Spend lots of time behind the wheel. Maximize your road time so that you are prepared for different situations.

Know your car, and what its limits are. A good way to do that is to take a performance driving class. It sounds strange, but it's fun, and will train you to react in unexpected situations. You may actually find that you enjoy driving after taking it.

i think what makes people fearful about driving is not knowing how to react in different situations, preparedness is the key. Driving can be really fun.

Also, if you can, learn to drive manual. It opens you up to the joy of driving.

:heart:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Sounds corney but go carts helped me be more comfy driving
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I get panic attacks off and on when I drive. The only way to get over the fear is to drive. I drive like a Grandma, and I dont care. I go the speed limit. You'll get idiots who think they are some great indie driver acting like a moron with road rage sometimes pissed because you are cautious but all that matters is I get to my destination alive. It's scary but you just have to do it be alert be cautious always babysit the other cars. No one is a good driver out there and that person that tells you they are a good driver is the one with tickets and accidents. My Dad has never been in an accident is the only driver I know who doesnt make me want to puke from car sickness and drives slow and catious. You can do it as one scardey cat to another just do it.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and I don't have mine either because of that, so bump.