Is it possible to lose 50 lbs in 4 months?

Options
I'm switching colleges this august, right now i have time to excersise 3-4 times a week, and i've completely cut out all sodas and chips and snacks, i only eat Fish, Chicken and veggies, and i only drink water, except for some weekends when i drink a couple of beers at parties and so forth. As i mentioned i'm switching to a new college in august, and i'll also start working 2 part time jobs, so i won't have the time excersise as much as i can now, so i want to lose as much as possible before starting the new college and jobs, i will continue the healthy eating and so forth, but can i lose 50 lbs in 4 months?

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    It's possible, yes. That doesn't mean it will happen or that it would be healthy.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I think we'd need to know a LOT more about you before we hazard a guess.

You've identified in your profile that you're an 18-year old male, so that's a couple significant factors in your favor as far as your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) goes...

But much will depend on your height, weight and the amount of muscle vs. body-fat you carry.

If you've got 150lbs to lose, then losing 50lbs in 4 months is usually more-likely than if you only have 60 to lose.

Is it possible? Yes, but it depends on many factors, and your own willingness to really commit to a diet and exercise program.
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    I think it depends on your starting weight . Usually if you have a lot of weight to lose you can lose larger amounts in a shorter period of time. It's possible. They lose that much weight on shows like Biggest Loser. Several years ago I lost 60 lbs on Atkins in 4 months. I also exercised at least 1 hour per day. It was too fast though. I had a lot of loose skin and just felt soft and squishy. I ended up gaining it all back. The best thing you can do is make a permanent change to your diet and regularly exercise.
  • Thedij
    Thedij Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started changing my eating habits January 1 & diligently using MFP - keeping my calories between 1200 & 1400 per day. I've successfully lost 30 pounds in 3 months & 10 days with NO exercise, except I've started taking the stairs. I'm sure it's possible, but not sure it's healthy unless you eat healthy & get more exercise than me :) All the best!
  • wstreet8110
    Options
    It's possible...I'm living proof...I lost 52 lbs in 3 months 4 days...started @ 357...today I'm @ 305
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was able to do it. I need to caution you however that I had a lot of pounds to lose. It is easier to lose 50 lbs if you are 200 lbs overweight compared to when your are only 50 lbs overweight.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Like others said, we really need more information.

How much do you weigh right now? What does your diet look like? (you mentioned what you ate but not how much and when) How many beers do you consume and how often? What type of exercise do you do and how long?
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The real question should be: "Is it possible, in the next 4 months, for me to lose 50 lbs AND understand and address what caused me to overeat and use food as my drug of choice?" Usually the second part takes longer (hence the recommendation for slower weight loss), but without it, you'll just gain the 50 back (+ more) once you stop your 'speed diet.'
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible. Once I lost about 20lbs in a month & 1/2 without even trying. Now, I'm at about a 7lb loss in 2&1/2 months while trying (but being smart about it too.)

There are many things that are possible, but if they are REALISTIC is another story.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So you're asking if it's possible to lose 50 lbs in 4 months (12.5 per month, or less than a half lb a day)? That's definitely possible, friend.
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 50 by September! it's hard work but I'm putting in 100% work with no slacking.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. I lose 52lb in 4 months and even more in the months to follow. I worked out in the morning and at night along with a 1200 calorie diet. Drink lots of H2O. I believe I have a before and after pic in my profile.
  • agooddaytodiesoft
    Options
    I'm at 255 now, so i'm not extremely overweight, and my goal weight is 200..
  • agooddaytodiesoft
    Options
    Cheers!
  • agooddaytodiesoft
    Options
    I'm at 255 now, i eat around 3 small meals per day, if i workout i eat 4, i work out 3-4 days a week. And if i drink, it's ussually six beers per night, and i ussually drink once every 2 weeks.
  • wstreet8110
    Options
    Heres how I'm doing it...it's probably not the BEST way "but" it's working for me and I'm NEVER hungry...BREAKFAST: Multi Vitamins (15 calories)...LUNCH: Cellucor Protein Shake (130 Calories)...Dinner: HUGE salad and either grilled chicken, grilled steak, grilled fish, grilled pork (ham, pork chops, etc)...and to wash it down...about 3 or 4 sparkling flavors water (ZERO Calories/Sugar) from wally-world...LOVE those :-) and throughout the day...TONS of Crystal Light (LOVE the Pink Lemonade & Tropical Fruit) so like I said...it's probably not the best diet out there BUT I'm seeing results and I'm never hungry...my daily caloric intake, on average, is around 1100 calories...and oh yeah...I walk 4 miles a day (just started that this past Sunday)...So in "3 months 5 days" I'm down 53 lbs "as of today" and feel GREAT!!! About to leave the 300 club once and for all...only 4.2 lbs to go...can't WEIGHT :-) Good Luck on YOUR Journey...
  • emleecharles13
    Options
    Honestly I do not think it will be healthy at all! You need to get your body used to the dieting and what it sounds like, you are looking to crash diet. Even if you was to lose the weight it is more than likely you will put it back on quickier. Set yourself small realistic goals. Do not just think of the end goal.

Good luck x
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You could probably lose 50 lbs in 4 months if you really tried. Especially if you cut out all drinking. But if you are switching schools, are going to be meeitng all new people, making new friends, starting two new jobs, plus a class work load, with less time to focus on proper nutrition and exercise...are you going to be able to sustain that loss??? That is a completely different story