but what about the BOOOOBS

Options
super new here, don't know if i'm posting this in the right place -- please direct me to where it should be if not!! i started dieting monday at 263 lbs, and here it is wednesday and i lost 5 pounds already. i know that seems super unhealthy but i swear i've been eating up to my caloric limit every day. i guess my body is just super excited to be losing weight.

since i'm a tall girl, and because of the way i'm built, my goal weight is just around 180. i would be happy with anything a bit under 200. but i have a small concern as silly as it sounds.

my breasts are about 40Ds. i haven't had them measured but i know that 38D-40D bras fit them best, so i'm assuming that's what they are. i hear ""horror"" stories about women losing lots of weight and their breasts shrinking a ton, and at first i was pretty scared about that, but then i sort of rationalized that since my weight loss plan doesn't involve me getting too "small" they might not shrink as much. i know it's an inevitability that they'll shrink at least a little, but i carry nearly all of my weight in my belly, so i don't know about how it'll work out for me.

i like my girls and i'm scared about losing them! boyfriend says he'll love them no matter what but i still like having them. anyone else with these same concerns? how did you work through them/was it as "bad" as you expected?

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I am 5'7, about 140-145lb and have Ds... I don't know about American bras, I'm from Aus so it's a little different I assume. I was never much bigger than this so can't say how it will change for you - just look at women around you. *edit - I mean women in your family if any of them are slimmer!

Be aware that you haven't lost 5lb in 3 days, you have maybe weighed at different times of the day and stopped eating so much salt so your body isn't retaining so much water. I am not trying to put you down, but you need to be aware that changes don't happen rapidly. And they shouldn't.

If you lose weight too quick you will get lots of saggy skin and weird marks so I have read here! So don't rush things too much and just stick to eating healthily. How much are you eating each day calories wise?

Jess xx
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Some people keep their boobs, some people lose their boobs, almost everyone loses at least SOME of their boobs. You'll just have to see what happens and decide whether losing your boobs is worth it to you. There is no way to keep them intentionally (although chest exercises will make whatever is left look "perkier") and there is no good way of predicting what you'll end up with. If you have always been overweight, there's no point of reference to guess at. If you were thinner at the same height within the last couple of years, they may be a similar size to whatever you had then. But really, there's no way of knowing.
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    I went from 36c to 34, probably more like 32B's. I lost about 30 pounds total, but lost a ton of fat and gained some muscle. I'm happy for padded bras!!
  • emilyquast
    Options
    hi jess! i'm eating 1800 a day on average. i think the quick weight loss has a lot to do with how terribly i was eating before i started eating healthy. it was junk food all the time, no breaks in between. i've been sticking to eating three square meals a day, with a banana in between meals if i'm feeling peckish. i love to cook, so i've started channeling that love into making healthy food for me to eat.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    hi jess! i'm eating 1800 a day on average. i think the quick weight loss has a lot to do with how terribly i was eating before i started eating healthy. it was junk food all the time, no breaks in between. i've been sticking to eating three square meals a day, with a banana in between meals if i'm feeling peckish. i love to cook, so i've started channeling that love into making healthy food for me to eat.

Oh that sounds really good! But be sure not to just use the scales, but also take measurements with a tape. I have been on these forums for a while (check my post count) and from what I've seen/read it is very VERY unlikely that is true fat loss, but rather water loss and maybe 1lb loss. Either way, best not to rush things and make sure you have a good balance of your macros (these are carbs/fat/protein). 1800 is good though I think, lots of people go for 1200 and it's just damaging mentally and in the long term, physically as well unless you have a true slow metabolism (such as through thyroid disorders).

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need some support! Good luck :)

p.s. being healthy is like 1000 times more important than boobs
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    i sure hope i lose my boobs. Small frame, 5'2", 34D. not good.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, mine when from 38D to a 34C (I lost 50ish pounds) my smaller boobs look a million times better than my bigger boobs.

Like the muscle that I have developed in my chest has totally lifted them. You will fine no matter what, I swear.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Boobs are made up of both fat and breast tissue. Everyone has a different mix. If most of them are actually breast tissue, they won't shrink when you lose weight, but if they're made up of fat, then of course they will, it's inevitable. Most people of course have both fat and breast tissue so will experience a little shrinkage. It's just a fact of life. Would you rather be fat with fat Boobs or healthy and fit with actual Boobs that may be smaller but are actually breast tissue?
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I went from a 12B/C to an 8A (Australian sizing). It's depressing, but what can you do? I'd rather be fit and healthy than obsess over my boobs getting smaller.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Having small boobs is NOT the end of the world. Somehow I've survived 30 years of my life with them.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    p.s. being healthy is like 1000 times more important than boobs

This! You might lose them, you might not but it is way more important to be healthy. You have to remember that they're fat deposits and you can't control where you lose from. Just remember to lift, do incline presses, pushups, etc to keep them perky. Good luck!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i started at a 46-48 D...currently at a 38-40DD (yes, they got bigger as the size got smaller), but now...sadly they are starting to shrink :sad: but the plus side is, with all the lifting i do, they are perky as hell!!!
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Having small boobs is NOT the end of the world. Somehow I've survived 30 years of my life with them.

Yup. I've got 36A boobs (more like 36AA) and they're as big as they're ever gonna get. I don't mind em, but I'll admit sometime I do wish I had even the faintest hint of cleavage. Everyone loses weight differently so there's no guaranteeing whether you'll lose a lot from that area of not but don't worry about it. Please don't let fear of losing boobs keeping you from losing weight.

Best of luck on the weight loss journey :)
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm a DD, but I don't care either way. I'll just buy a new pair :laugh:
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My boobs have gone from a tight 38 DD to 38 D (36DD would fit too.) Yes they are shrinking but they seem to look better, from the new muscles I guess?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    for maximum boobage diet your weight away. p.s. have fun sagging

For maxmum perkyness weight train. p.s. as they move up in the world they well get smaller.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have lost 7kg or about 15 lbs so far and have dropped from a 38E to 36E, and it's great- the girls look perkier, and clothes are beginning to fit both my chest and my waist!

I'm aiming for a 34C (interestingly my partner thinks they have never been smaller than a 34D).

ETA after breastfeeding 2, perky is fabulous!!
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Well I went from a 44 very small C now I'm a 38 big D almost DD. I'm contributing this to the Gods and mostly lifting! It does wonders I tell ya!!

P.S. I'd rather be healthy and fit with small boobs than unhealthy and big ole boobs. Just saying.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I know how you feel and understand your concern.This is one of those cases where I wish it was possible to spot reduce fat. I lost a lot of weight in my breasts - I swear they were the first to go. lol. I am fairly small in general everywhere, though (except my booty, in which I am thankful for still having), but I still feel frustrated when I go shopping and can't always fill out certain tops. (but hey, that is what padded and push-up bras are for, right?) One thing that helps me get over it is realizing that the only way I'll naturally have larger breasts is if I gain weight everywhere else, too - which I personally would not want for myself. I try to focus on the many other qualities that I do love about myself, and i know I can't be perfect. Also, in regards to your SO, he even says he'll love your boobies no matter what - and that's awesome, so you don't really have much to worry about there. In the end, you just have to accept that you have no say where you specifically lose weight - maybe you won't lose a lot there, maybe you will. It won't help fretting over it much - just focus on feeling and looking healthier. :flowerforyou:

Edit: I saw it mentioned a couple times, and I'd like to know how weight training helps maintain breast size. I'm not being snarky when i ask that, either, and even weight train myself, but I don't understand how that would work. If you're building muscle, it still aids your body in losing fat. Is building muscle in your pectorals supposed to make them appear bigger - is that what you guys are referring to? o.O
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Losing a little bit of boob is a small price to pay for all the other aesthetic benefits, let alone the health and performance benefits.