Emotional eaters...strategies?

Options
I am struggling hardcore with overcoming my tendency to mindlessly eat for emotional reasons. Angry? Eat. Sad? Eat. Stressed out? EAT. I'm trying to come up with some strategies to help myself conquer this. Anyone have anything to share that works for them?

Replies

• crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that the extra food might make you feel better for a few minutes, but then afterward you just feel even worse than you did (with newly added overindulgence guilt).
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have asked a similar question, phrased a couple different ways, and never got a response.

I am doing much, much better with the mindless eating. I do that by simply keeping snack foods out of sight. No more bowl of M&Ms on the coffee table; no more bag of Dove's promises in a desk drawer, no bag of chips on the counter.

But what about those days when I feel stressed or depressed and all I can think is, "Man, that was a stressful situation. I think I deserve to treat myself to XXXXXX."

I have "dieted" many times. This time, I am making it a point not to deprive myself. If I want something, I can have it ... as long as I make it fit into my day's calorie goal. So, for me, eating a treat is not the problem. It is the MINDSET, the fact that I immediately think of FOOD when I want to decompress from a stressful situation or celebrate a milestone.

I think it is this type of thinking, the idea that food is a reward or a relaxation tool, that will lead us to gain back what we have worked so hard to lose.

And frankly, I'm just not sure how to fix that thinking. Shock therapy, perhaps? LOL

I have heard about books on mindful eating, but from what I've gathered most of the more popular ones are steeped in Eastern religion. I am somewhat religious, but I'm looking for a very scientific, fact-based book on this subject. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd love to know about it.

I think I'm going to leave a separate post and see what comes up.
  • bonniethornton
    Options
    I am doing a Christian-based study on a book called Made to Crave. The author is Lysa TerKeurst. I don't know if this is something you'd be interested in, but it's been helpful for me. I don't always make the best choices, but with God's help I'm doing better than I used to!
  • freebird777
    Options
    I have asked a similar question, phrased a couple different ways, and never got a response.

I am doing much, much better with the mindless eating. I do that by simply keeping snack foods out of sight. No more bowl of M&Ms on the coffee table; no more bag of Dove's promises in a desk drawer, no bag of chips on the counter.

But what about those days when I feel stressed or depressed and all I can think is, "Man, that was a stressful situation. I think I deserve to treat myself to XXXXXX."

I have "dieted" many times. This time, I am making it a point not to deprive myself. If I want something, I can have it ... as long as I make it fit into my day's calorie goal. So, for me, eating a treat is not the problem. It is the MINDSET, the fact that I immediately think of FOOD when I want to decompress from a stressful situation or celebrate a milestone.

I think it is this type of thinking, the idea that food is a reward or a relaxation tool, that will lead us to gain back what we have worked so hard to lose.

And frankly, I'm just not sure how to fix that thinking. Shock therapy, perhaps? LOL

I have heard about books on mindful eating, but from what I've gathered most of the more popular ones are steeped in Eastern religion. I am somewhat religious, but I'm looking for a very scientific, fact-based book on this subject. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd love to know about it.

I think I'm going to leave a separate post and see what comes up.

This is so accurate. I have, since I was a little girl, viewed food as something to "look forward to" or make me feel better or more relaxed. Maybe this is something we will have to battle long term--like people who work to conquer addictions of any type. Thanks for you thoughts, it makes me feel less alone in this. I appreciate that.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Honey you are not alone in this and don't ever feel that way! I grew up in a household where food was an answer to everything.
    You're happy? Have some food. Someone died? Have some food? It's a Tuesday? Have some food. It is a constant struggle, and it's not easy.
    It's just a matter of deciding what's better--dealing with your feelings in a healthy way, or eating to get that temporary high and then feeling like total **** after.
    What helps me is starting to actually acknowledge those feelings, instead of drowning them in food. Are you feeling sad? Why are you sad? Take a moment to sit and breathe and think about them. Are you mad? Why? Think about, talk it out with yourself. What's helped me is breathing and then moving on.
    There are a lot of great guided meditation videos on YouTube, if you would like to do that. Or if you don't have time for that, just take 5 deep breaths. In through the nose, hold for 3 seconds, out through the mouth. It really helps me :)
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    this is such a difficult struggle, and you are so much stronger for working to overcome it. kudos to you!

aside from finding the root of what is causing the negative emotions (sadness, hurt, anxiety), is there anything else that picks you up? a passion? are you artistic? do you love to read? do you get overwhelming joy from just sitting in the sunlight and feeling a breeze? one thing i use as a reward system for sticking through are movies. i have a stack of them that i set aside until i reach a goal (it could be something like, "didn't have chocolate for a whole week," "lost 5 lbs," "ran x miles in a month," etc.) and let that motivate me to my next goal. it doesn't always help in the flare of emotion, but if you have a pre-planned pick-me-up, it makes it easier to handle.

another way to minimize a splurge could be what kind of food you eat. in my case, i enjoy sweets and desserts (who doesn't? amiright?) i made up a bunch of ice-pops from fruity herbal tea (from teabags, not drink mixes) and some from plain, unsweetened greek yogurt and fruit. it's a healthier option, and it can help you wean off a more negative choice. there are also low cal/sugar free hard candies (beware of fat content) but idk what your take is on chemical sweeteners and i don't want to start a sugar war on your post.

i hope this helps. you are not alone. you have a whole community here that will stand by you and help you through your struggle. you can do this! :D
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have found that knitting helps to keeo my hands busy and is a great destressor...find your passion...get out of the house and walk the dog...try yoga....if you eat it write it down right after so you become mindful.....what is your promary motivation to lose weight...if it is to be healthier remind yoru self that mindless eating is not helping you achieve your goals...I used to be an emotional eater so I get where you are coming from.
  • freebird777
    Options
    Ladies, thank you so much for your support. The feedback you all gave me is fantastic. GIves me hope that some day I will have a some what "normal" relationship with food.