"I can't" vs "I won't"

Options
There are a lot of people on here who complain about not being able to do things. Look, we all have limitations. It is not physically possible for me to run a 2:30 marathon or bench 300 pounds. If I worked at it, could I? Maybe. But I have no desire to reach those particular milestones. Therefore, I won't. It's not that I can't, it's that I choose not to. I am well aware that I have shortcomings and faults but I recognize them and take them head on. I would challenge many to do the same.

Can't quit eating junk food? Bull. You won't stop eating junk food.

Can't run? Bull. You won't run. Anyone can run. Maybe not very far (at first) but you can do it.

Can't find time to get to the gym? Bull. You won't find time. There is ALWAYS time even with kids and work. You just have to make sacrifices in other areas.

I know this post will come off as arrogant and cocky. Don't care. I think it's a message worth putting out there anyway. Look yourself in the mirror and admit the difference between can't and won't. See what happens. I bet you'll like it.

Replies

• JustMQ
    JustMQ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know this post will come off as arrogant and cocky. Don't care. I think it's a message worth putting out there anyway. Look yourself in the mirror and admit the difference between can't and won't. See what happens. I bet you'll like it.

I personally don't think this was arrogant or cocky.

It was exactly what I needed to read. Thank you.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It's the same thing I tell my kids: "You can. You choose not to". I hope it sticks as they get older.
  • terrib1980
    terrib1980 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    100% agree.
  • nickgarner6
    nickgarner6 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I agree too!
  • samygirl928
    samygirl928 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. For me (and probably most people) it's more of a won't than a can't.
  • TattednPierced
    Options
    I slightly disagree with the "won't stop eating junkfood" one.. Food addiction is a real issue.
    I myself am addicted to food.. I am fighting it right now by not going to the back to get some delicious chicken they left over..
    But, there are times when it overwhelms me to the point that it seriously almost feels like I'm going to bust open if I don't eat something unhealthy. Maybe it's mind over matter, but either way, not eating addicting junk food is not an easy feat.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    addiction ...fighting it right now ...

Step 1. Admit that YOU have a problem.

If you won't admit it, nothing changes.

edit: YOU is the generic anybody you, not this dude and his problem, who clearly admits it.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I agree. Eating is a lot easier when I tell myself I can have that bag of chips but i choose not to.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. Personally, running isn't for me. I dislike it. I have bad knees and ankles. And, I just plain don't enjoy it. That doesn't mean that I can't exercise, it just means that I have the responsibility of finding something that I do enjoy and that I will be able to continue with for years and years into my own future. But if I wanted to run, I would have to learn how and practice for some time before it became comfortable.

I teach preschool. I steer my kids away from "I Can't". I will gladly accept "I need help" or "I'm trying but it's hard" or "I started but I don't know how to finish" or "Will you do it with me"

In teaching, this is called The Zone Of Proximal Learning. The area between what the learner can and can't yet do. The area in between is where the process of learning takes place, that's the important part. If you leap right from inability straight to perfection, you've missed the entire process of learning and trying and of overpowering your inner "I can't" voice.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Even just thinking positively helps. What I like to do for that is set mini goals for myself, and if something comes up to tempt me/distract I think no, I won't do that, I must do this.

A quote I like that relates to this...The only person stopping you is yourself, so move out of the way.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow, a good one!!! I seem to always be negative on myself and say I can't!! My friend always tells me that those words are me giving up!! So it sounds like she is onto something.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    There are a lot of people on here who complain about not being able to do things. Look, we all have limitations. It is not physically possible for me to run a 2:30 marathon or bench 300 pounds. If I worked at it, could I? Maybe. But I have no desire to reach those particular milestones. Therefore, I won't. It's not that I can't, it's that I choose not to. I am well aware that I have shortcomings and faults but I recognize them and take them head on. I would challenge many to do the same.

Can't quit eating junk food? Bull. You won't stop eating junk food.

Can't run? Bull. You won't run. Anyone can run. Maybe not very far (at first) but you can do it.

Can't find time to get to the gym? Bull. You won't find time. There is ALWAYS time even with kids and work. You just have to make sacrifices in other areas.

You've inspired me. I will now get smaller boobs so I can run fast and far! You are my hero!
  • rosehippy77
    rosehippy77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Great post :smile: