Dumbells and heavy lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    dumbbell rows. Make them your primary back movement. do them with a bench and just bent over. bench press. and then the various dumbbell leg exercise, lunges etc. These are the biggest strength and mass builders, no gym required.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I do find since I have being doing dumbbell rows, my functional strength has improved. It really helps at work when in not ideal positions on the production line. I hurt my neck a few months ago and after not doing much other than the rehab exercises I did notice a weakness . Pushing and pulling was what helped. I still couldn't pack some products without pain, but the last couple of months, since I discovered rows, wow no discomfort at all. So I agree with you big time on the importance.

Lunges and squats have helped functional strength too. I can feel my core engaging , where will 'traditional' ab exercises, I look like a unco ****head lol. I am still having trouble with push-ups , but they are improving.
  • louismetal
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    IMO, dumbells force you to be more intense with any exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Sure you can
  • GoalSoClose
    Options
    Dumb bells give you a better range of motion, and allows you to workout without a spotter as you can just drop them if needed (if you don't care about your floor lol). Stick to basic compound movements, rows, presses, squats & deadlifts. These include but not limited to bent over dumb bell rows, shoulder press, dumbell bench press, split squats, as well as variations of the deadlift such as straight leg or Romanian deadlift to place a bit more emphasis on your glutes and hamstrings. If you are able to do them, body weight exercises such as dips, pulls up and push ups are also good. I think these basic movements are best for functional strength especially if you are progressively going up in weight on your lifts. Best of all these can all be done at home, although some I prefer to be done with a bar, dumb bells can be substituted to gain enough strength before moving on to a barbell.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    There are some exercises you can do with a bar without a spotter that would be safe. Of course, it is better to either have a spotter or at least somebody watching you if you are doing bench presses. Perhaps lunges may be problematic? Most exercises don't require a spotter that I can think of even with a bar.