increased from 1200 to 1650 four weeks ago....help!

Options
I've put on 7lbs in 3 weeks, and i'm panicking! Should I decrease my calories again? I've also been eating more protein, less sugar, and I've also decreased my gluten and dairy intake. this is so frustrating!! Help!!!! :-(

Replies

• Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    hi,

you would have had to have eaten approximately an additional 1200 calories per day on top of the original 1200 cal to gain 7 pounds in 21 days. Hang in there. If you upped protien and lowered gluten and dairy then you must be doing great. How are your clothes fitting?

Drink lots of water and watch the salt. NO binging. Cheat days will mess you up.

Hope this helps.
  • melaniejoy82
    melaniejoy82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've put on an inch round my tummy. I stuck to 1200 cals and less for about 6 years, so this is really messing with my mind, ESP as I need to slim for my wedding. :-(
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You increased your intake by 1/3? I'd be a little more gradual about it and observe/change.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    um, are you premenstrual and holding water weight?
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, it can take longer than a month to adjust to an increased caloric intake, especially if you were eating a low calorie/vlc diet for 6 years. That's a big change for your body. Be patient, give it more time, and reevaluate in a few weeks. :flowerforyou:
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    Six years at 1200 calories.. and you suddenly go up 450 calories every day for 3 weeks...... hey, I think anyone would see a change. You might need to re-evaluate and go slower if you want to eat more... or burn those calories off... Good Luck.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You might need to re-evaluate and go slower if you want to eat more... or burn those calories off... Good Luck.

I wouldn't recommend burning off the additional calories you have added, since that would leave you with the same net calories and defeat the purpose of increasing your calorie intake in the first place. But again, I'd say give it more time.

This post might be helpful to you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

There is a lot of good information in the thread, and in the group in general, but one particularly relevant quote: "....the longer you have been in the super deficit/overexertion phase, the more patience you'll need to have during your "re-feed" phase. Yes, ultimately you want those lbs to melt off, but some people need to take a couple of steps back first, and will actually GAIN some "scale" weight up front (the "scale weight" can be different for each person, sometimes it's just bloat/water weight, sometimes a person has lost the weight unhealthily, and the body must first recoup before it can function properly)."

ETA: You don't say how you reached the 1650 calorie amount. Did you get this number by calculating your TDEE and subtracting 10-20% from it? Either way, this is another thread with good information, though you may already be familiar with it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • melaniejoy82
    melaniejoy82 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this, it makes a lot of sense!! :-) Fingers crossed it'll sort itself out soon... I can't fit into my favourite jeans!