Buying Clothes Too Small

Options
124»

Replies

• wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I did that as I lost weight. Made it even more exciting when I could finally fit in it. Of course it doesn't work for bras. :(
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it unless you can fit into it. As you lose weight and exercise, your actual body shape changes in different ways around your body. And remember - it may only be £9 but it should be spent on something that is absolutely perfect or put it towards something that is perfect. How hard do you have to work to earn £9!?
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I do it, but don't think I would purchase something too small if I couldn't try it on. But, yeah, I'll buy dresses or tops from places like Ross that aren't expenssive. If I try them on and think, "well almost", I'll buy them knowing they fit my general shape and hang them in my closet for a few weeks. So they not only have to be close to fitting and inexpensive, but also the type of cut that will work at multiple weights, so as I continue to lose they will continue to work for me.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i think it can be a good thing to buy clothes a bit smaller, as long as you do it in moderation and don't get obsessed with buying outfits that you may never end up fitting into.

i bought a size 16 jean in February. it was super tight and gave me a "muffin top" but the fact that it actually went over my hips and zipped was enough for me to swipe my credit card. now the jeans are loose and i have to run them through the dryer before every wear... and i feel great about myself! they were my mini-goal jeans.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Yes, I bought a blazer that was one size too small, and a pair of jeans, and several dresses. I ended up fitting all of them in a month's time. The blazer was real snug in the arm area and I could only button up the top button. Now, I can button up both buttons and I have plenty of room in the sleeve area. The jeans are now too big for me unfortunately. So, now I am purposely buying things in xl and large because I know I can fit an xl now and the large I will eventually get to that size momentarily.
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Luckily with it being an online store - I can send it back in plenty of time for a full refund! It's coming "sometime" before Tuesday... hopefully this week while I'm off work, and not next when it just makes picking it up from the sorting office a nightmare!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I'll buy fitted clothes that may seem a little snug, but eventually they big just fitted.. and then too big, but I some of the stuff 1) because it's expensive 2) When I bulk I'm hoping to fill in some of those clothes again.

People don't understand that I don't WANT to wear a size small.. I want to just be lean with some good muscle on my body, so that I can wear a large shirt and have it be snug.
  • MrsWells1983
    Options
    I bought a cute vintage look dress for my 30th b'day and although I didn't get down to the weight I wanted, I managed to fit into the dress (the one I'm wearing in my profile pic). I'd say if you love it and it's on sale, go for it!
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I never knew people thought this was a bad idea... Huh. Learn something every day!

OP- go for it. I have lots of clothes that are too small for me- either because they turned out to be too small for me when I got them home, or they were bought too small, or they used to fit. I figure I've got so much to lose overall I'm bound to be able to fit into them some day. If it takes a year or two, I don't really care.
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. I told everyone for Christmas that I was a size medium (I was an extra large at the time) and that's exactly what I got for Christmas, a bunch of tiny shirt that I looked like a stuffed sausage in.

My goal was to fit into those clothes, and in only a few month I easily slipped in all of them. Best feeling ever.
    A better feeling was a month or so after, I could fit smalls and that mediums were too big on me already :P

Good luck!