Travel Tips Please?

Options
I'm heading away on a long haul flight in a few weeks to France, which is lovely but also tricky as like everyone else here on MFP I'm working on my lifestyle goals.

Has anyone got advice to share about how to eat well during travel? I'm not vegan or vegetarian but wonder if I should request those meals on the plane, just to have healthier options?

Also I'm going to be away for 7 weeks without access to a gym or decent running tracks (as far as I know I'm in the middle of a city), not to mention easy access to wonderful French food! I love my food and wine so tend to exercise more to make up the difference, but that may not be as easy as it is at home. I'll be on a tight budget so would prefer to spend my euros on stuff other than gym passes!

Any advice would be appreciated. Merci beaucoup!

Replies

• eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    Advice number 1: take me with you!! haha at least we'll have MFP to keep my eye on you :D
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I lost weight while living in Paris. I also always lose weight when I visit Europe once a year. I think it has to do with all the walking I do and food that comes from the farm to the table if you know what I mean. I eat all kinds of sweets, dairy dishes, drink red wine and when I used to eat meat, I'd have that too. I think it has something to do with the high quality of the food. I'd always come back to the States 15 lbs lighter.

Trust me when I say you will be doing a lot of walking. Maybe you can add some calisthenics if you want to keep up with strength training. Most importantly, have fun!
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you run you can still go running, bring running shoes.
    You will probably walk around a lot and that makes a big difference.
    Just watch portion control.
    Don't eat at night.
    Enjoy yourself!!!!
  • tallulahalice
    tallulahalice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good to know thanks, I will do my best to get out and about to work off those croissants! :)
  • reerazzle
    reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I am changing jobs which requires me to travel extensively in developing countries.

Any thoughts on what foods to order on planes, what to eat in hotels, and how to handle exercise?

As to France, I agree with the person above. You tend to always end up on the lighter side in Europe, mostly because of the walking I think. Enjoy!!
  • tallulahalice
    tallulahalice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Generally I try to keep protein bars on hand. I might trial the vegetarian options on the plane next time! I've also signed up for the squats challenge on MFP as I know I can do that anywhere I go.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I lived in France for my 3rd year of university, and I lost weight that year. I was a student though and didn't eat a lot. Even if you're eating out though or at a hotel, they have smaller portion sizes and in supermarkets there you don't get the massive choices of chocolate and crisps you get in the UK and US.

Where in France are you going? I'm sure you'll be able to go for a jog. Maybe you could even join a gym temporarily. And of course you can do things like squats, lunges, jumping jacks etc wherever you are.

For the flight just take some healthy snacks with you. Plane meals aren't that big anyway from what I remember.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yup, haha, Europeans walk a lot more. Plus - why can't you run? It's the PERFECT way to explore the city. Just stay close to your apartment in the beginning, and once you get more familiar with your surroundings, just get out there and explore! maybe even look up a route/trail beforehand that you can run on? there are so many possibilities. Plus, every city has parks too. Or a riverside trail. You definitely do not need an expensive gym pass to exercise!

And yeah, we do like to eat bread and pasta and all that stuff, but there's a lot of healthy food too, so you'll be FINE!
  • n1ghtshade
    n1ghtshade Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do exercise dvds, or create a at home workout? Maybe see if there is a swimming pool you could go to.