Eating healthy costs

Options

Replies

• Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    But if you want those burgers to be healthy you have to pay more for leaner hamburger, better buns and good veggies! Lean hamburger in Illinois is about $6.00 lb.

Or you can make burgers out of something besides beef. Hold on, I know this might blow some minds, but a hamburger doesn't have to be beef.

Hey I"ll second that one with a "and it does have to be meat" my NO meat burger is one of my favorites AND it has more protein PER SERVING than meat!
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I went overseas to belarus and Germany for 5 weeks. I saw their market place with healthy things but saw many of the people not be able to buy them because of it being expensive. I didn't understand until I went overseas on a mission trip just how tough it is people have it. its not as easy as things sound either.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy organic, monk picked, special foods to be healthy. Whole grains, lean meat, eggs, frozen veggies and fruit are all equally nutritious and don't cost a lot.

This ^^^

Also, just because something has fat in it doesn't make it unhealthy...people need to change the way they think about food. Manage your calories and your macros and you'll be fine.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The original poster mentioned junk food as costing less, not necessarily eating out junk food. You can't really compare the cost of eating at MCD's to the cost of a healthy meal you prepare at home. Canned veggies (junk food imo) cost less then fresh veggies. I think that is the salient point. The companies are keeping the cost of the canned, processed foods lower than the cost to buy fresh alternatives, by a lot. But imo that is going to be up to the individual to solve, via education & making wise choices. The alternative is getting our gov't & politicians involved & do we really want that? I sure don't!

Frozen veggies are on a par price wise with canned and are just as or more nutritious than fresh. Frozen are processed within hours of picking while "fresh" may be over a week old by the time the bounce all over on a truck getting to you.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I went overseas to belarus and Germany for 5 weeks. I saw their market place with healthy things but saw many of the people not be able to buy them because of it being expensive. I didn't understand until I went overseas on a mission trip just how tough it is people have it. its not as easy as things sound either.

Not sure where you were in Germany but I love their farmers markets. The prices were very reasonable and the German economy is good so it wasn't that I was comparing my thoughts on price to a different economy. I miss being able to buy fresh every day from the market.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Eating Healthy is expensive. This is a myth.

4 Quarter Pounder with cheese meals = +/- $28

I can make the same 4 meals at home with healthier options for about $6

Yes. Exactly. I have found that making meals from scratch SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the cost. We stay away from prepackaged anything!

So true. When you count "nutrition per dollar" processed food is VERY expensive. (Why do you think it is so heavily advertised? It is very high profit for the food manufacturers."
  • grabenson7
    Options
    You have to shop a round, were now spedding less and eating less too.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Aldi is your best friend, and cook in bulk, stock up when things are on offer. It can be done. I found a local meat outlet. It's trade but people who are not trade can go! Saves a bomb. Also signed up to their emails so I get all the offers. I use the pound stores, local cheap stores like home and bargain, the markets. Worth spending a little more time shopping g around d and finding where is good for bargains locally. Got go shop smart! Aldi super 6 is fantastic!
  • HeatherOberholtzer
    Options
    I am with you...since the new year I have been buying more produce (non organic) and healthier option we only eat out about once a month (Little Ceasars pizza $15) and I am spending about $125 - $150 a week for our family of 6!!! At $4.29 for a gallon of FF milk and we use 5 a week and whole grain bread is about double what white bread is. I have cut out junk food (significantly) no soda, minimal chips ( a bag a week for the kids lunches) no cookies (except what is in the freezer left over from xmas) I always buy in bulk if I can and get the fruits and veggies that are on sale. Frozen veggies are a staple. But with pork at $6.99 lbs chicken breast (on sale) at $1.99 lbs and beef (cheaper cuts) at almost $8 lbs its hard to eat healthy and stay under budget and I know I do better than most in my area. And as for people saying it is a myth in my area it is just not true!!
  • connorsludge
    connorsludge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles are dirt cheap but unhealthy. Can you name something healthy that can feed you as much as ramen for the same price? I can't think of anything so if anyone knows anything please tell me! (Other than dried beans!)

What's wrong with dried beans? I feed a family of three (myself and two big eaters) on dried beans and brown rice or whole grain flour, all from the bulk section. We augment with different spices, vegetables, and sometimes tofu or cheese, depending on the meal. We eat fabulously and on the cheap, even with everything coming from Whole Foods!

Because so much global cuisine uses beans and rice as a base, we have a pretty exciting diet; with a few basic cooking skills, it's like we eat at a restaurant every night: Thai one night, Mexican the next, Afghan after that. Dishes from Turkey, Morocco, the Caribbean, Ethiopia, India, China, and South Africa are all easy to make with just a few combinations!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    For people in America, if you live by a 99 Cent store, check to see if they have groceries. I was visiting my brother in California and my boyfriend and I picked up nearly a month's worth of groceries for 4 people (minus meats-- they offer meat, but we had picked up meat the night before) for less than forty dollars. It wasn't food at the end of it's shelf life either. You aren't going to get a ton of variety, but you'll get basics and you could always get extras somewhere else with the money you save.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles are dirt cheap but unhealthy. Can you name something healthy that can feed you as much as ramen for the same price? I can't think of anything so if anyone knows anything please tell me! (Other than dried beans!)

Well, there's cardboard.
    I think you can actually get cardboard for free, and it's probably nutritionally equal to Ramen, with less sodium.
    And I'd imagine it's very filling.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    For people in America, if you live by a 99 Cent store, check to see if they have groceries. I was visiting my brother in California and my boyfriend and I picked up nearly a month's worth of groceries for 4 people (minus meats-- they offer meat, but we had picked up meat the night before) for less than forty dollars. It wasn't food at the end of it's shelf life either. You aren't going to get a ton of variety, but you'll get basics and you could always get extras somewhere else with the money you save.

We have a dollar tree....the healthiest thing in it to actually spend a dollar on is a jar of minced garlic. All the rest is high sodium pre packaged junk. 1 Isle is what most americans consider bargain foods (hamb helpers,stove top stuffing,etc) and the other is cookies,crackers and candies. I cant shop there for my groceries so I hope they open a 99 cent store around me so I can get whatever you are buying I feel like I am getting the shaft now lol
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    "Ramen noodles are dirt cheap but unhealthy. Can you name something healthy that can feed you as much as ramen for the same price? I can't think of anything so if anyone knows anything please tell me! (Other than dried beans!)"

Corn meal sells for about a dollar a pound & out of a 1 lb bag you can probably make 16-20 servings of cornmeal mush, (also called grits or polenta depending on which area of the country you are from). Thats roughly a nickel per serving & I have to believe much healthier for you than Ramen (or cardboard) :)
  • mgore0404
    mgore0404 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In the end the cost of not eating healthy is more expensive. You could end up with thousand's of dollars in medical bills just because of not eating healthy. The cost of your life is worth the money you spend on your own body !!

Thats part of the problem of obesity over here - we don't have to pay those bills, we have the NHS which gives us free medical care.... which some people take advantage of. I know a lady who had a gastric bypass free on the nhs because she was depressed, and another who got new boobs for the same reason......so thats where my taxes go

Wow, I don't even know what to say to that :(
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm uk based.

I buy my meat from the butchers - this weekend I got 14 chicken breasts for £20 which I was really pleased with. You can grab a bargain on fruit and veg on market stalls with the "£1 a bowl" option. I also but cheap beef cuts and make my own mice / burgers / meatballs.

The only things I really get is household stuff from the super market and sometimes the odd bit of shopping. I can easily feed myself and my husband on £50.

I also get tesco value porridge oats 75p a kilo

Is that £50 a week or month?
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary OP, to see how perhaps I could help you budget better here in the UK. Unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of information in it.
  • n1ghtshade
    n1ghtshade Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Meal planning helps so you know what you want when you go to the store, if the supermarket isn't a 24 hour one, then try going 10 minutes before they close for the end of day bargins. Fruit and veg is pretty good and cheap from places like Lidl and Aldi, seasonal food is always going to be best, and usually available on markets.

Also look into the cost of veggie boxes, it may be cheaper and will be seasonal stuff delivered to you
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It might be a little bit more expensive but not by much. Things that I find helpful:

1. Buy in bulk (Costco).
    2. Shop in budget store chains (Aldi and Lidl might not carry foie gras but they are great for staples)
    3. Look for deals and offers. It involves gathering information and going to multiple stores. Then again, if you find a good deal on chicken breasts, buy in bulk and freeze.
    4. Cook in bulk and freeze your meals. Leftover home cooked meals are great for week nights.
    5. Invest in a large freezer. You can find a cheap/free one on Craigslist/Gumtree and the likes.
    6. Buy frozen veggies and fruit. They are second best to fresh
    7. Stock up on spices. This might set you back at first but they last a long time and add variety to meals.
    8. Plan your menu for the week (breakfast, lunches if you pack your own, dinners, snacks, desserts) and only buy what you need.

This way you save money, don't waste food and don't have food surplus around the house.

Well said
    9. Grow your own if you have an opportunity to do so. Fresh herbs and veggies can be grown all summer long. Even if you don't have a garden you can build a compact herb garden out of a wooden pallet: http://lifeonthebalcony.com/how-to-turn-a-pallet-into-a-garden/
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I went to Aldi for the first time yesterday. They have loads of stuff but I don't think they fresh veg/salad/fruit looked that that great. I will be going back though - meats, sauces, cans etc

I usually shop at Sainsburys and keep meaning to use the fruit/veg stalls outside our flat and the meat stall on market days. I live on a lovely high street with 2-3 fruit & veg stalls each day and a market twice a week.

I think I spend more than I should for convenience more than anything. I have cut down on processed 'meals', starting to cook from scratch (not everything) and have tried meal planning but I'm just too lazy lol