Feminine Problem

Options
12345679»

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    How's it handle, pain wise, I mean? Tampons can actually make me sore, both being in and inserting. By the end of my period I'm like OH GOD IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE TOOK A SLEDGEHAMMER TO MY VAG WALLS! So the idea of inserting something even bigger near my cervix really freaks me out.

Has anyone found that it's less painful than tampons?

I use the "instead" cups that can be found at Walgreens (at least my local Walgreens). They are single use and don't rely on suction so I haven't had any of those issues. I also had issues with tampons and these literally feel like nothing to me. Once I put them in (and they are super easy to put in) I completely forget about it. I actually forget that I'm having my period from time to time. I'm usually surprised at the end that I'm done. No discomfort for me whatsoever.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Oh mah gah.....taking out a dry tampon hurts!

Never heard of this cup thing. Hum, learn something new every day.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    TMI warning:
    I'm adding my hat in the ring for menstrual cups! Pads squick me out (I feel like I'm wearing a diaper, ugh) and tampons gave me issues with the string becoming damp (sweat, urine) and causing rashes and such, not to mention they were expensive, dried me out, smelled funky (and scented ones don't help, my clothes from high school STILL smell like scented tampons to this day), and I hated the amount of waste they created. Menstrual cups fixed all that. No more rashes from wet strings or damp pads, no more funky smell, just clean it out morning and evening when I take a shower and no more waste.

Highly recommended!

Oh yeah, I use a lunette, it's smaller than a Divacup. My cervix tends to drop during my cycle too, so I turn the cup inside out -it makes the cup shallower when turned inside out. I trimmed the stem to nothing but turning it inside out made it even better for me to use.

Edited to add: Forgot to add this is another reason why I like my cup over tampons: http://consumerist.com/2012/03/28/dont-worry-thats-just-bread-mold-on-your-tampon/ Bread mold should NOT go up there!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am so glad my birth control has ended my period. Don't miss that bish at all.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Softcups Reduced my cramps, too, which used to last 2 days and nearly debilitate me. Now, maybe a couple hours, and not nearly so bad.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I think I will try it. Can I find menstrual cups in Walmart or do I have to order it online???
    I know that walmart has "SoftCups" but I haven't ever used them. I ordered my DivaCup online. I prefered doing it that way because they last for a whole year and only cost $35ish.... I felt like even if I used it for just 4 months and decided it wasn't for me, I wouldn't have wasted my money because thats how much I would have spent in tampons.

Do you mean the DivaCup lasts a year? ... Because as long as you clean the cup properly it will actually last up to 10 years.

My instructions said that it was recommended for 1 year use- but I don't doubt that it could last longer.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I think I will try it. Can I find menstrual cups in Walmart or do I have to order it online???
    I know that walmart has "SoftCups" but I haven't ever used them. I ordered my DivaCup online. I prefered doing it that way because they last for a whole year and only cost $35ish.... I felt like even if I used it for just 4 months and decided it wasn't for me, I wouldn't have wasted my money because thats how much I would have spent in tampons.

Do you mean the DivaCup lasts a year? ... Because as long as you clean the cup properly it will actually last up to 10 years.

My instructions said that it was recommended for 1 year use- but I don't doubt that it could last longer.

Interesting. I don't know anybody who replaces theirs once a year. Meh. I'm too lazy to do that. I've had mine for probably 2-3 years so far.

However, if it's in the instructions from the company it's most likely a "cover their a$$es" thing. They kind of have to just to be on the safe side but if you clean it well/boil it between uses then there's absolutely no reason you need to replace it every year.
  • Viola47
    Viola47 Posts: 121
    Options
    You have a butt load of replies, I realize this. Also, shamefully, I'm not going to read all butt-load of the replies. I know menstrual cups have been mentioned, and I'm going to run with that.

I've been using a Diva Cup for 5 years. I cycle, I run, I lift weights, I elliptical. I used to change tampons ever hour or two (very heavy flow), but I can go up to 6 hours on my heavy days, and up to 12 on my light days. There are a ton of brands to choose from, but seriously - menstrual cups hold way more than tampons or pads (or tampons AND pads, like I used to do). I used to have an excuse for not doing a 40 or 50 mile bike ride, but the Diva Cup ruined that. They're fantastic, and waaaaaay more comfortable. No more period panties, and way less leaks.