18lbs down BUT people are lying!

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Um... no.

Why would people noticing your weight loss be discouraging?

Fishing for compliments, perhaps?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Just from your one picture - you don't look like you have a lot to lose. So 18 lbs is probably pretty noticeable on you.

Exactly.

Many of you need to put your insecurity aside and simply say,

Thank you.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    say thank you and move on. You are gorgeous and they aren't trying to "demotivate" you at all.

Sometimes, people are just kind.
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. After hearing about how "great" you look for so long, you lose motivation to look better, even though you still aren't happy with yourself. Weird phenomenon.
  • AbigailClarke48
    Options
    So I when I first weighed myself I was 14 stone 1lbs with this I felt huge anyway but knowing how much I actually weighed made me feel sick, so I did something about it. In 5 weeks I have lost 18lbs which isn't a huge amount but all of a sudden because I am on a diet every one around me is telling me how stunning and beautiful I am, I don't need false comments, when I get to my goal weight I want people to notice then not when I haven't even lost half the weight I want to lose. Basically I feel fed up and demotivated! Has anyone else had these types of problems? HELP!:grumble:

How do you know for sure their compliments are false?
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    it could be worse, I had to lose 36 lbs before anyone else commented. lol. I would have love any kind of compliment even lies.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Just from your one picture - you don't look like you have a lot to lose. So 18 lbs is probably pretty noticeable on you.

Especially if most of it is fat rather than muscle.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm still 195 lbs and people are telling me I don't need to lose more. WHAT?! REALLY?! Especially my mom who said it specifically bc she didn't want me to weigh less than her... ugh!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Nice Rack. Hope that doesn't discourage you.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Even though your pants may not fit correctly, it doesn't mean that people haven't noticed a change in your face or arms or anything 10 lbs is a big accomplishment. Good job.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just genuinely think you're beautiful?
  • cliocat267
    Options
    I've lost a few pounds and i do get comments about how well I look but people can reali tell when you do lose weight and when people do it movtivates me even more so don't look at it negative coz it will put you off and down just think yeah I do look good can keep with that frame of mind and you should be fine.

Good Luck!!!

41460052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mdorsett221
    mdorsett221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It sounds like people are just trying to be positive/nice. I would just say thank you and brush it off. You know where you want to be and what you have to do to get there. Who cares what they have to say...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    And just looking at your diary... there is probably a reason they think what you are doing is silly. You aren't eating nearly enough.
  • zampi03
    zampi03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hate false praise. I mean, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything, but don't fake having something nice to say, because I can tell insincerity right off the bat.

However, you can't control others, and I say you should just ignore it. They want to be supportive and helpful, so just take it that way.

However, my weight loss efforts are steeped in BEING HEALTHY rather than IM TOO FAT. The weightloss is a side effect of eating healthy meals and exercising. My goals are to run a 5k, be able to go rock climbing without my forearms going numb from overuse, and overall being awesomely fit. I'm measuring weightloss goals as part of a quest to be healthy.

So, when these people say "you don't need to lose weight" or offer you some unhealthy food, just thank them and say "I'd rather not eat that because it's not very good for you and I want to live healthier"
  • lell22
    lell22 Posts: 13
    Options
    I started at 14st (196lbs) on the 2nd Jan and i have lost 21lbs to date ... Was 23lbs but i had a big weekend with lots of booze and naughty food!! :)

I have been aiming for 7lbs a month on 1200 cals and gym 3-4times a week ... And you know what the worst thing is hardly anyone has noticed!!! A few people but where i have quite an even shaped body its come off from all over so its not as if i only had a belly and thats gone down loads as it was never that big in the first place, i am 5'7'' so fairly tallish.

I'm hoping when i hit 12st (168lbs) at the end of April, that people might actually start to notice - 2 friends have both said that i wasnt big to begin with so thats why they havent really noticed, thanks girls but the scales tell another story.

Anyway - congrats on your loss and keep going and make use of that personal trainer boyf, he will have you looking great in no time.

Lell x
  • marzoh
    marzoh Posts: 9
    Options
    Guys i have 1 stone (14lbs) to lose in 1 month, do you think it is possible? i currently work out for 1 hour 3 times a week and try to eat 1200, do i need to work out more? i'm really upset, all help appreciated x
  • Khamerta
    Khamerta Posts: 23
    Options
    This is why I didn't tell people... I wanted people to notice when they really noticed not just because they thought they should say something. Well done on your loss.

I did this too, but then its very disapointing when no one seems to notice at all. I've gone down 2 dress sizes and no one has said a thing.... :cry: :sad: :mad:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You're insecure,
    Don't know what for,
    You're turning heads when you walk through the door,
    Don't need make-up,
    To cover up,
    Being the way that you are is enough,

Everyone else in the room can see it,
    Everyone else but you....

Don't hate me. I'm in rehab for my 1D addiction...
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm wondering how much you are talking about it. If you talk about it a lot, many people get uncomfortable about agreeing that someone needs to lose weight. Or, as someone else said, they may be worried you aren't doing it in a healthy way.

You are beautiful. Accept that as a part of yourself and move on from the focus on it.

Consider these compliments good training for when you hit GW. People will either tell you that you shouldn't be at GW (maybe you shouldn't, not sure on stats) or will remind you quite often of how much better you look now than before.