To my constipated friends! ;)

Options

Replies

• missymere
    missymere Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 years old. My biggest complaint has always been constipation. I have had colonoscopies to make sure everything is alright in there. I have been hospitalized three times due to blockages and impaction. I have tried everything from herbal laxative teas to Miralax daily, to running four miles a day and drinking gallons of water. Milk of magnesia, Citrucel, Mag citrate, ducolax, prunes, prune juice...

In the past month I have figured out what works for me. Milled flax seed. I add 2 tablespoons to a cut-up apple, strawberries, some dried cranberries, and half a cup of Greek yogurt. Also, first thing in the morning I drink water and then two cups of black coffee to get things moving. I do not eat anything until I've used the bathroom. Taking time to go to the bathroom without rushing or stressing out has worked wonders for me. If I know I'm in a rush, that's when I run into problems. So, try eating your flax and fruit together, drink water and black coffee first thing in the morning, and don't stress about it. Good luck!!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Prune juice.

I would never take a chemical laxative unless I'd tried the prune juice first to no effect.....but I've never had prune juice have no effect, LOL!

One cup, and 'stay near a bathroom'. Two cups just because it's tasty, and it's 'hope you didn't have plans for the weekend', ha ha!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use "Benefibre", I think the generic is inulin (has chickory in it) and have been using it for a few years. The nice thing is that it dissolves in hot and cold liquids, yogurts, you can put it into baking, its flavourless and odorless, but like all extra fibre, you have to drink a lot of liquids to prevent gas etc. I drink my in my tea or coffee in the morning. I know that I don't get enough fibre in my regular diet because my body doesn't handle certains foods (ie: bread, pasta, rice etc.) like it used to.

NOTE: I use chia also HOWEVER I use it to help lower blood pressure, I don't know if it works or not, my last 2 blood pressure readings were on the high normal. Be careful if using chia as it is a blood thinner also and check with your doctor prior to using, as with any "natural", "herbal" remedies as not all ingredients are listed and some may adversely affect any medications you may be on. Just a word of caution.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    Options
    I have inherited constipation, my mom, my grandpa, my aunt, and myself all suffer with it, its not, not going everyday, its not going everyweek. my mom used to milk of magesia, but after a couple months, it no longer worked. I drink smooth move tea every couple weeks and thas what works for me. NOTHING else has ever worked for me.
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had symptoms of adrenal fatigue. I take Jarrow formulas Pantethine 450 with my breakfast.
    It helps in liver functioning ........so my constipation problem is solved.
    I also take cal-mag supplement at night. I used to have sleeping problem .............May be the magnesium is also helping.
    I also eat a bowl of oat porridge for breakfast.
    May be all the above three are good for regular bowel movement.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    magnesium-citrate-14056_1.jpg
    this^
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    tinned pears are a good source of soluble fibre..
  • topgals
    topgals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My 8yr old daughter suffers with this, the doctor gave use lactulose, you can buy it over counter in chemist & its cheap.

I changed her diet, less processed food, eat little & often 4 meals & 2 snacks
    High fibre cereals, brown bread, brown rice, wholemeal pasta. Chopped up prunes in her cereal, flaxseeds. Plenty fluids. She`s much better now.

Now again use the lactulose low dose if she doesn't pass motion daily.
  • lisakozol
    lisakozol Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow -- I found this post at just the right time. I just saw my doctor this week (after a four year absence -- yes, too busy with kids, work, life). During the exam just became worried about my big fat belly. I told her that I just am not able to lose weight there and she said it was not fat. Instead, it is gas. Lovely. Anyway, she told me to get citrocel and use it twice daily. Also, I am to have an xray I presume to make sure there is nothing serious going on.

So, it is my second day with citrocel and I have not noticed any difference in my bloating. Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb as to how long it might be before I "slim" down?

By the way -- I have always been very regular. Morning and night. I eat lots of salads, drink water, occasional yogurt and oatmeal. So all of this kind of took me by surprise. And, I have noticed, that the citrocel seems to have actually slowed down my regularity. Although things are more firm than they used to be. Sorry, TMI, right?
  • turryandsally
    turryandsally Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My 50-something year-old body has this issue from time to time... :( I agree with other posts - I LOVE the fiber one bars - they are yummy, 90 calories, and they WORK! Best wishes to you - and your little one is precious!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The best "cure" for me is a steady 2+ mile run!!! Works every time but never before 2 miles!!!
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey darlin I would suggest to you to buy some Smooth Move Tea instead. It's milder and works as an over night relief. It really does work and probably costs less. A plant based relief method vs. chemical. It's awesome. You can find it in the Tea isle of any grocery store. It's a medicinal tea.

^^^^THIS^^^^ - Smooth Move is where it's at! I could go as far as to say it save my life, but instead, I'll say it saved my sanity :) - I'm having a glass of it now! :)
  • christineogara
    christineogara Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have battled constipation for many years. I think I have tried almost everything out there in the market. I even tried some stuff only found on the internet. I now use miralax. It works by bringing more water to your intestines instead of a stimulant. I use it almost every day on my doctor's orders. I finally feel normal in that area now. It is the only thing that really helps me without cramps etc. And my doctor told me I can use it every day because there is no stimulant in it.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Cutting out dairy solved my constipation problems.

Getting enough fat is important, too, I've noticed.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    regular-coffee_0.jpg
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm not giving any solutions here, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. This is a huge problem of mine, and every women in my family suffers the same, and also, all of them has a way of fighting it: grandma has been drinking this papaya shake with oatmeal for 30+ years, my mom and sister uses laxatives, my other sister swears flax seed has changed her life, the other one, takes metamucil... I don't want to take laxatives, but it is a problem, because prunes alone don't help me, and I can "go" 3-4 days in a row, once a day, and then spend up to 5 days with "no news". UGH! I hate it.

When it gets very bad, I drink coffee (I'm not a coffee drinker), it helps, but I don't want to make it an habit, I'm not just a coffee person. I need to figure out what can work with my body, because I drink water, I work out, I'm eating healthy... I'll try the aloe vera juice. My nutritionist suggested the wheat bran, and I bought it, but now I forget to add it to my food, LOL, I need to get it out of the pantry and start using it.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, if I skip a day get worried. I use Benefiber...two teaspoons in my morning coffee keeps me regular and I love it!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something that works for you!

A good morning Yoga session, some green tea, lots of water and flax seed added to meals has always kept me regular!
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Coffee keeps me nice and regular... even if I skip a day of coffee, my body still does it's thing... I used it to help with pregnancy constipation also... Which it worked great!
  • kharper85
    kharper85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Plums are like magic :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!