What's the best thing to stop snacking?

Options
Hey Guys,

Been on here a while now and may be dipping into a low point. I'm such a terrible snacker and wonder if there is a way to resit temptation or to make myself feel fuller?

Any tips or suggestions would be great.

Rhys

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    If it's particularly hard to control the impulse to snack, you might actually not be eating enough! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

If you're eating a reasonable amount of calories for your height/weight/age and activity level, then some things which may help you are increasing the relative amount of protein in your diet, which tends to provide more lasting satiety.

You could also consider eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day - - blood sugar dips can cause pretty strong compulsions to snack, so keeping that level a little more . . . level . . . will help :bigsmile:
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how to feel full unless it's eating more fiber...raw fruits and veggies, but when I have a craving to eat and I can't shake it I chew gum. There are so many out there and even some called dessert delights that are fabulous, works for me!
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Snack smart - my goto snacks - baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, pickled beetroot - basically low calorie but tasty & filling.
  • FitnessCharl
    Options
    A straight jacket is the only thing that stops me....

No, I find seeds and nuts are good to keep on your desk at work (munchy seeds are my favourite at the moment) but take a little pot, because I bought a bag in to work and demolished the lot.
  • MAshleyB
    MAshleyB Posts: 76
    Options
    water is the best for helping you feel full and stop the 'bad' cravings until you can get something healthy!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    What helps me is sticking to an eating schedule. I eat 5-6 small meals per day and I eat at the same time every day when I'm at work. I eat every 2-3 hours so I don't get too starving. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas! I try to stay around 1550 cals net at the moment.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    coffee, music, diet soda, gum. except that the last 2 will make you hungry after an hour.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    When you feel the urge to snack STOP! Take a minute to think about what's going on at that moment. Are you stressed, worried, lonely, bored, etc??? You will probably find there's a common thread of feelings when you feel compelled to snack. I did this recently and found I snacked when I felt overwhelmed. Now when I feel that way I recognize it more quickly and can deter the snacking by making a list of things I need to do so I can see progress being made. I also recently took up the piano to give me a different, more healthy outlet for my feelings so I'll play a song or two when I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed at home. The urge to snack goes away when I address the real issue and don't force it into hiding with food.

The other secret is to absolutely not have anything the house that you like to snack on. Plan your meals and snacks ahead of time and log them into MFP at the beginning of the day. I only buy groceries for the meals I've planned. I even plan ahead for eating out by going on the restaurant website or visiting the restaurant and getting a menu ahead of time. I study it like I was going to take a test and make the best choice before I even get there. I never carry cash to work so I'm not tempted to use the vending machines. I've found these things help me stay on track because they reduce or remove the temptation.
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try snacks that are higher in protein. It really does make you feel more full for longer. My number one snack: hard-boiled egg whites. Super cheap, tasty, high in protein, low in cals and carbs and easy to bring to work. I pop up to 5 per day, some days.

Also, try cottage cheese, string cheese, greek yogurt (I mix a T of Grape Nuts w/mine to make the snack a little more substantial, plus I love the texture), and Old Wisconsin Turkey sausage snack sticks or snack bites.

Just get into the habit of checking labels and look for high-protein options.

You can do it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If it's particularly hard to control the impulse to snack, you might actually not be eating enough! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

If you're eating a reasonable amount of calories for your height/weight/age and activity level, then some things which may help you are increasing the relative amount of protein in your diet, which tends to provide more lasting satiety.

You could also consider eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day - - blood sugar dips can cause pretty strong compulsions to snack, so keeping that level a little more . . . level . . . will help :bigsmile:

Yep, all of this ^^
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Eating on a schedule helps me. I know I'm eating 5-6 times of a day and that helps.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that make you feel full for a longer period of time. Those would be ones with higher fiber content because it takes your body longer to break it down (while taking more calories to break it down too) it's a win-win
  • liya368
    liya368 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have been sipping in tea the past few days. It has been keeping the cravings away for me. Well not yesterday :blushing:
  • mdorsett221
    mdorsett221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I try to decipher what it is that my body's really craving. Is it sweet, salty, sour, fatty? Then I try to satisfy the craving with a healthy choice.

Sweet - go for some fruit
    Sour/salty- eat a pickle
    Fatty - glass of milk or piece of string cheese or handful of nuts
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Before I started counting calories with MFP, I once successfully lost a few pounds by telling myself that I was allowed to eat as much "real food" as I wanted at meals, but I wasn't allowed to snack between meals. That worked primarily because I'd been in the habit of snacking on high calorie junk like cookies.

Now, I still snack -- and sometimes it's still high calorie junk! -- but I log everything and keep myself within my daily net calorie limit.

But as an earlier poster said, you need to figure out WHY you are snacking in order to figure out the best plan for you. I snack because I'm hungry and can feel my blood sugar dipping, which is why eating more at meals helped me. If you're snacking out of boredom, you'll need to find a distraction, or a low-calorie substitute snack like veggies or hot tea.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    WATER!! Just drink it!! :smile:

I also "budget" or plan for snacks daily

Sugar-free gum...sometimes just chewing helps!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your food diary, and unless you are not logging all of your snacking, I don't see outrageous snacking. I do question the energy drink (Lucozade) - looks like total sugar. If you need some carbs, try a packet or two of instant oatmeal. For less cals, you will get the carbs and some protein.
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how to feel full unless it's eating more fiber...raw fruits and veggies, but when I have a craving to eat and I can't shake it I chew gum. There are so many out there and even some called dessert delights that are fabulous, works for me!

This is what I was going to say! More fiber rich foods & gum is a great way to curb cravings/snacking.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I try to decipher what it is that my body's really craving. Is it sweet, salty, sour, fatty? Then I try to satisfy the craving with a healthy choice.

Sweet - go for some fruit
    Sour/salty- eat a pickle
    Fatty - glass of milk or piece of string cheese or handful of nuts

^^^ like I will definitely think about this next time I'm craving something because it does make a difference if you are craving something sweet, salty, sour, or fatty and the suggestions above are good. Thanks for posting!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump