gatorade (or similar drink) before/after running?

Options
the temp is starting to go up (it's 80 right now - 1:30pm EST) so like a fool i go for a run. i'm exhausted not from the run but from the heat. i went running tuesday night (when it was still 85 out) and had to keep stopping (only ran 4 miles too and i'm training for a half June 1). i KNOW i can do more because i have so i'm wondering should i start drinking gatorade (or something similar)? typically i eat 2 hours before my run (yogurt or string cheese). if i eat any sooner i get heartburn while running. today i tried chicken salad (that i made so very little mayo, a little mustard, pickle juice, chicken breast, relish and that's my chicken salad) thinking protein will be good for me. 3 miles run in 40 minutes IS NOT a good time for me. i'm usually around 30 minutes. is it the heat (it JUST started getting warm in VA)? is it what i'm eating (or not)? or do i need an electrolyte type drink?

any thoughts?

edit to add: right now i drink water

Replies

• rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink some before and during, or at least just carry it!
    I live in Maryland so yeah our temps went from frigid to hot. Sunday morning was like 50ish did decent10 miles. Tuesday night temp was 85 when I got home from work, ran a rough 3 miles. Last night (Wednesday) ran an excruciating 6.5 miles in 90 degrees evening! I finished the 10 miles on Sunday in 98 mins. Wed 6.5 in 80...yeah the heat sucks the life out of us!

Drink up. My first half is May 5
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    sunday i ran 6 miles in 68 minutes. tuesday 4 miles in 48 minutes. today 3 miles in 40 MINUTES.

any recommendations on what to drink? honestly i'm not a fan of actual gatorade i think it tastes like salt.
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No, not for a 3 mile run or really any run under 1 hour - there is a lot of literature out there saying it's unnecessary carbs/sugar/cals for runs less than 1 hr. It just takes time to get used to the heat when it first gets warm. If you go to Runner's world.com they have a lot of info there talking about this and similar things (I read that website a lot when training for my first half). Make sure you have water and are hydrated and also that you aren't over-training (i.e. make sure you have rest days). Otherwise, just keep at it adn don't worry about your time - it'll get better as your body adapts to the heat. If you wear a heart rate monitor, you've probably also noticed that your heart rate has been higher in this heat - it'll go back down as you acclimate. Just make sure to stay hydrated (sounds like you are).
    All that said, I don't know what you're eating so I can't tell you that you don't need to eat more or soemthing different, but I just know that when it first gets hot, everyone takes time to adjust. Oh and also that your muscles need carbs/glucose to burn while running, so make sure you are getting some carbs and not just protein. (again, more on this type of thing at runnersworld.com).
  • Lauramh31
    Options
    sunday i ran 6 miles in 68 minutes. tuesday 4 miles in 48 minutes. today 3 miles in 40 MINUTES.

any recommendations on what to drink? honestly i'm not a fan of actual gatorade i think it tastes like salt.

I'm not a big fan either - gatorade makes me really thirsty (because of all the salt).
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Have you tried powerade or watering down the Gatorade? You need to replenish your electrolytes and plain water won't do that. Some other suggestions would be fruit punch, orange juice. probably not the best options but worth mentioning I suppose. When you do the half I strongly feel you will need mid race drinks. They tend to have water and lemon lime Gatorade from my husbands experiences.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    No, not for a 3 mile run or really any run under 1 hour - there is a lot of literature out there saying it's unnecessary carbs/sugar/cals for runs less than 1 hr. It just takes time to get used to the heat when it first gets warm. If you go to Runner's world.com they have a lot of info there talking about this and similar things (I read that website a lot when training for my first half). Make sure you have water and are hydrated and also that you aren't over-training (i.e. make sure you have rest days). Otherwise, just keep at it adn don't worry about your time - it'll get better as your body adapts to the heat. If you wear a heart rate monitor, you've probably also noticed that your heart rate has been higher in this heat - it'll go back down as you acclimate. Just make sure to stay hydrated (sounds like you are).
    All that said, I don't know what you're eating so I can't tell you that you don't need to eat more or soemthing different, but I just know that when it first gets hot, everyone takes time to adjust. Oh and also that your muscles need carbs/glucose to burn while running, so make sure you are getting some carbs and not just protein. (again, more on this type of thing at runnersworld.com).

i'll check out runnersworld.com thanks. i usually just read active.com so i'll have to add that site to my list.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I hike a lot around Arizona and sometimes would get the worst headache afterwards. Turns out I was dehydrated and water wasn't doing it for me. So now I take G2 which is Gatorade Lite basically...Love it and it really helps get everything back in balance....
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    Have you tried powerade or watering down the Gatorade? You need to replenish your electrolytes and plain water won't do that. Some other suggestions would be fruit punch, orange juice. probably not the best options but worth mentioning I suppose. When you do the half I strongly feel you will need mid race drinks. They tend to have water and lemon lime Gatorade from my husbands experiences.

i haven't tried watering them down. my husband has gatorade at home. i could add a bit to my water and see if it helps. my husband drinks the lemon lime GAG! lol. i'm thinking that while i get used to the heat again i'll add some to my water but just a little. i was sweating like a pig today!
  • Lauramh31
    Options

This is correct - you will need something during the half so it would be good to find out what they serve on the course and practice w/ that, or you can just drink water on the course and bring some gels or chews (you should practice w/ those on your long runs if that's your plan). BUT you don't need those things on your short mid-week runs - only really long ones where your muscles run out of glucose (carbs) - over an hour is the general rule of thumb.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    I hike a lot around Arizona and sometimes would get the worst headache afterwards. Turns out I was dehydrated and water wasn't doing it for me. So now I take G2 which is Gatorade Lite basically...Love it and it really helps get everything back in balance....

gatorade light? mmm... i'll look into that one. thanks. :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I really like Accelerade. It actually has some protein it. Much better than Gatorade IMO.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    First of all, stop eating these gooey things. I'm surprised you don't have an upset tummy - running in the heat with dairy floating around in your tummy. Try something dry and solid like a half a bagel.

Second, WELCOME TO HEAT TRAINING. It's something we all go through when you sign up for a warm-weather race. It's normal to feel completely beaten halfway through a hot run. Be patient with your body. It will adjust and your lungs will adjust to taking in warmer air. When you feel like you want to walk, walk. But stay out there and get in the miles.

Third, you can try gatorade, but I suggest cutting it with water. The sugar content in gatorade is stupid and ridiculous. Cut it with water and you get the electrolytes and some real hydration.

ETA: While running in the heat, you may want to consider drinking DURING your run and not simply before or after. Before or after, water is fine.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm not an avid runner, but do engage in endurance cycling from time to time.

I agree with those who say to cut/dilute it with water. I use Powerade Zero myself (I'm a diabetic, so zero sugar is what I need) and find that even cut at a 50/50 ratio it has enough electolytes to see my through a 5+ hour bike ride.

EDIT: and yes, WHILE exercising. Just water for before. After go eat something salty with complex carbs to replenish glycogen. (Unless, of course, you're a low-carb runner... which are very few and far-between...)
  • 1julietax
    Options

gatorade light? mmm... i'll look into that one. thanks. :)

Look for G2 in the Gatorade section. Lot's of different flavors.
  • 1julietax
    Options
    First of all, stop eating these gooey things. I'm surprised you don't have an upset tummy - running in the heat with dairy floating around in your tummy. Try something dry and solid like a half a bagel.

Second, WELCOME TO HEAT TRAINING. It's something we all go through when you sign up for a warm-weather race. It's normal to feel completely beaten halfway through a hot run. Be patient with your body. It will adjust and your lungs will adjust to taking in warmer air. When you feel like you want to walk, walk. But stay out there and get in the miles.

Third, you can try gatorade, but I suggest cutting it with water. The sugar content in gatorade is stupid and ridiculous. Cut it with water and you get the electrolytes and some real hydration.

ETA: While running in the heat, you may want to consider drinking DURING your run and not simply before or after. Before or after, water is fine.

Totally agree. I was hiking in 113 degree weather here in AZ and was totally fine. Just takes you body some getting used to.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options

since i eat the string cheese 1.5 hours before my run it doesn't bother me. i do bring water with me and drink that during my runs. typically by the time i go for my run i've had 3-4 16 oz bottles of water then i bring a half bottle with me on my run (a half was NOT enough today) then i drink a bottle when i get back.

because i run in the afternoon (at lunchtime) during the week and i'm training for a half june 1st should i gradually start to add electrolytes to my water? funny i don't taste sugar in gatorade it tastes like flavored salt. i am definitely cutting it with water and will bring this with me on my runs. i'm willing to try a bagel and see if that helps me along with the gatorade mixed with water.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    I'm not an avid runner, but do engage in endurance cycling from time to time.

I agree with those who say to cut/dilute it with water. I use Powerade Zero myself (I'm a diabetic, so zero sugar is what I need) and find that even cut at a 50/50 ratio it has enough electolytes to see my through a 5+ hour bike ride.

EDIT: and yes, WHILE exercising. Just water for before. After go eat something salty with complex carbs to replenish glycogen. (Unless, of course, you're a low-carb runner... which are very few and far-between...)

i do eat right after i run/workout. i'm usually FAMISHED when i finish. not a low carb runner (at least not on purpose).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i like half gatorade, half whiskey.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Coconut water and a banana. Natures gatorade.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Plus gaterade is full of chemicals and actually if your interested I have a whole list of alternatives.