Recipes to fool hubby!!

Options
ergumm
ergumm Posts: 82 Member
Hi! I am looking for some recipes that I can cook for dinner that will fool my hubby into eating healthier so we aren't eating 2 separate meals all the time! He is a picky eater. He won't eat mushroom, tomatoes or garlic....3 things that I just love! Any ideas? He's a true meat and potato man!!

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Try "lightening" some of the basics in a meat and potato meal?

Make mashed potatos with half mashed cauliflower to lighten them up.
    When doing roast potatos, do some regular, some parsnips and some sweet potatos. No more work to cut up different kinds of potatoes than lots of white ones (NOT saying white potatoes are bad, but if you're trying to be healthier, adding in some sweet potatoes will help).
    Will he eat fish? Poached salmon with just a bit of olive oil and cut up veggies in the foil packet is great. I usually make couscous as a side and only eat a little (all the veggies and fish is filling enough).
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I make this for my husband all the time and he loves it. Once he told me it was his favorite thing that I make! I never told him that I got the recipe from a nutritionist food network chef... ha! And the good thing about chili is that you can add or subtract whatever you want! For example, I often use frozen corn in place of the hominy: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/white-chili-recipe/index.html
  • wannchef
    wannchef Posts: 8
    Options
    mini whole wheat pitas stuffed with anything. Examples are hummus, Navajo taco filling, Almond butter, veggie burgers, chicken, turkey, tuna, ham or egg salad, pizza Margherita, spinach salad, etc... you get the idea. :)
  • thinagain2014
    thinagain2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine said she uses the food processor for these types of ingredients and adds them into her sauces or wherever she can. They'll never know what it is!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, so im always looking for picky man friendly dinner.But, most of the time I just dont tell him whats in it. Or tell him the things he does like. usually he is none the wiser.
  • ergumm
    Options
    My husband can't even stand the smell of cauliflower or broccoli! I love both! When I have them, I have to leave the pan on the stove with the lid on instead of setting it on the table lol. He is too funny! I can get him to eat fish occasionally but not often enough. That is another one of my favorite foods! I got fat by eating what he likes to eat instead of cooking separate meals. Now I cook 2 meals...1 for me and 1 for him. It's working so far, but it does make it hard on me to have to cook him the foods that I can't have.
  • ergumm
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas!! Even if he won't eat some of these things, I will sure try them!!
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    nice recipes here x
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am looking for some recipes that I can cook for dinner that will fool my hubby into eating healthier so we aren't eating 2 separate meals all the time! He is a picky eater. He won't eat mushroom, tomatoes or garlic....3 things that I just love! Any ideas? He's a true meat and potato man!!

I'd say just eat meat and potatoes?
  • cingroomer
    cingroomer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If hes a sweet eater, a really easy and good recipe is a box of cake mix (I use spice cake), a can of pumpkin and 1/2 can of water. Mix and back. I make muffins out of this and they are great. With the box mix i use and pumpkin, comes to 55 calories each. I then use the fat free cream cheese with a little cinnamon for an icing.

You can also make a sugar free white cake mix and can of crushed pineapple. Thats it. Really good. Sprinkle with a little brown sugar and brummel and brown mixture on top for a pineapple upside down cake affect. Really low calories. Some people even use an angel food cake mix.

I use a lot of minced cauliflower in place of bread crumbs in my meatloaf (turkey). I use a lot of ground turkey in place of beef since I don't eat beef at all anyway.
  • pineappleroo
    pineappleroo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    With summer coming the bbq will be your best friend. I make skewered meat, baked potato and veggies on the bbq with a salad. He still gets the meat and potatoes he likes and I'm getting food too.... plus leftover salad and meat for lunch tomorrow. I also just swap out things like cream for milk, yogurt for sour cream etc... he never knows the difference