AMAZING Treadmill Interval Workout

Options
This workout is guaranteed to kick your butt! In just one hour, you can get an amazing HIIT workout (which is fantastic for flattening the belly), get your cardio in and workout the quads, hamstrings, calves, and glutes.

I wouldn't suggest adjusting the time, but you can certainly adjust the speed(s) and incline(s) on each interval workout. Because it's interval training, you're so focused on the interval times that the hour goes by SUPER quick.

Would love to hear from people that give this a try and what you thought of it. I LOVE it, but only incorporate it one day a week into my weekly workout routines, as it kills your lower body for a few days.

Treadmill Interval Workout (quads, hamstrings, calves, and glutes)
• 0-2:00 – Jog at 5 mph
• 2:10-4:00 – Run at 7.5 mph
• 4:10-5:00 – Run at 10 mph
• 5:10-7:00 – Run at 7.5 mph
• 7:10-8:00 – Lower speed to 1.5 mph, perform walking lunges, always alternating legs
• 8:10-12:00 – Run at 7.5 mph
• 12:10-17:00 – Lower speed to 3.5 mph, turn around and run/jog backwards
• 17:10-20:00 – Turn around and run forwards at 7.5 mph
• 20:10-21:00 – Lower speed to 1.5 mph, perform walking lunges
• 21:10-24:00 – Run at 8 mph
• 24:10-27:00 – Raise incline to 12%, run at 5 mph
• 27:10-28:00 – With incline at 12%, run/jog backwards at 2.5 mph
• 28:10-32:00 – Lower incline to 0%, turn around and run at 8 mph
• 32:10-34:00 – Run at 9 mph
• 34:10-36:00 – Run at 5.5 mph
• 36:10-38:00 – Lower speed to 1.5 mph, perform walking lunges
• 38:00-44:00 – Raise speed to 3.5 mph, turn around and run/jog backwards
• 44:10-47:00 – Raise incline to 15%, run at 4.5 mph
• 47:10-48:00 – Step off treadmill and perform as many body weight squats as possible
• 48:10-51:00 – Get back on treadmill, lower incline to 0%, run at 8 mph
• 51:10-53:00 – Lower speed to 1.5 mph, perform walking lunges
• 53:10-55:00 – Run at 9 mph
• 55:10-57:00 – Raise incline to 20%, run at 4 mph
• 57:10-60:00 – Lower incline to 0%, run at 9 mph
• Get off treadmill – Perform 40 squat jumps.

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Run backwards? Your havin a giraffe surely??
  • vleebow
    vleebow Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Run backwards? Your havin a giraffe surely??

Hilarious! It's not as difficult as it sounds. And you'll definitely feel the burn in your calves. Basketball and soccer players run backwards as part of their workout routines. People may look at you strangely in the gym, but will probably be pretty darn impressed. Ha!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Not a chance in hell am I trying that in the gym I'd land on my face
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Looks interesting... surely this is made for those who have a treadmill at home? I couldn't imagine doing this at the gym in front of other people lol
  • vleebow
    Options
    Looks interesting... surely this is made for those who have a treadmill at home? I couldn't imagine doing this at the gym in front of other people lol

I do it at the gym. And surprisingly, I don't recall getting any strange looks. That could be because I'm super focused on the workout and couldn't care less what they think of this crazy broad. LOL!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9j0jrQ6QP1rek1fao1_400_zpsc61cefae.gif
  • vleebow
    Options

OMG! This is absolutely hilarious!!!! I can't stop laughing.

However, I'm the most un-coordinated person I know and, although this interval workout seems intimidating--I promise you guys, it's not that bad.

Now I'm going to go watch this video again! LMAO!!!!!
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad: (laughing too hard it hurts).
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, that looks awesome. Some modifications, but I like it.

Regarding running backwards....it actually increases the heartrate since your body isn't accustomed to going backwards, so it takes a little effort, but for starters, try walking backwards at a slower pace until you can get into a small jog.

I also tend to throw in some side stepping in alternating legs....this helps improve balance, coordination, works the inner/outer thighs and also brings up the heartrate up. AS we get older we loose both balance and coordination and this keeps the mind working and alert.

As for people looking at your weird.....it's not weird, it's the "interested" look. I usually get people asking me why, and I will let them try it while i'm there so they can feel how it works. A lot of people at the gym now walk backwards for this reason.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty intense, but doing this in front of a kangaroo seems a little arrogant...because kangaroos can't hop backwards (FACT...someone reading this is going to google that).
  • vleebow
    Options
    In all honesty, that looks awesome. Some modifications, but I like it.

Regarding running backwards....it actually increases the heartrate since your body isn't accustomed to going backwards, so it takes a little effort, but for starters, try walking backwards at a slower pace until you can get into a small jog.

I also tend to throw in some side stepping in alternating legs....this helps improve balance, coordination, works the inner/outer thighs and also brings up the heartrate up. AS we get older we loose both balance and coordination and this keeps the mind working and alert.

As for people looking at your weird.....it's not weird, it's the "interested" look. I usually get people asking me why, and I will let them try it while i'm there so they can feel how it works. A lot of people at the gym now walk backwards for this reason.

FINALLY, someone gets my insane workout.
  • vleebow
    Options
    Looks pretty intense, but doing this in front of a kangaroo seems a little arrogant...because kangaroos can't hop backwards (FACT...someone reading this is going to google that).

Died laughing at your last comment. And...now I think I'll go "Google" it. LOL!
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Oh man, you made my day, I couldn't stop laughing

JC