USA foods: determining equivalence in Canadian calories

Options
2»

Replies

• sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So if I shoot a moose in Saskatchewan and it falls dead in Montana, how many calories will be in the moose jerky I make from it?

it only matters where you eat it and whether or not you've had your metabolism adjusted from it's default condition.

sometimes, when flying internationally, the TSA screeners will adjust your metabolism for you as a convenience. that's what they are doing when the grope you... they are feeling around for your metabolism adjustment point.

OK, now I know this is totally false! ^^ Make Believe!! ^^ The only thing that would matter in this instance is if you used a Canadian or American dehydrator !
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    So if I shoot a moose in Saskatchewan and it falls dead in Montana, how many calories will be in the moose jerky I make from it?

it only matters where you eat it and whether or not you've had your metabolism adjusted from it's default condition.

sometimes, when flying internationally, the TSA screeners will adjust your metabolism for you as a convenience. that's what they are doing when the grope you... they are feeling around for your metabolism adjustment point.

OK, now I know this is totally false! ^^ Make Believe!! ^^ The only thing that would matter in this instance is if you used a Canadian or American dehydrator !

do you have any peer-reviewed studies to back up your opinion? wikipedia pages do not count.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options

do you have any peer-reviewed studies to back up your opinion? wikipedia pages do not count.

There was an extensive study regarding this . . . more facts can be found at www.broscienceuniversity.com/canadiancalories/moosejerky/tastes-so-good
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    What if I am American born to a Canadian mother? Do I multiply the conversion by pi? Or divide by 17?
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    What if I am American born to a Canadian mother? Do I multiply the conversion by pi? Or divide by 17?

you inherit your metabolism from your father.
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    Canadian Paleo calories vs. American Paleo calories - since our ancestors were cavemen, I am assuming that they had no standardization of measurements. How would one go about worrying about these conversion equations?
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Canadian Paleo calories vs. American Paleo calories - since our ancestors were cavemen, I am assuming that they had no standardization of measurements. How would one go about worrying about these conversion equations?

to be honest, if you're deciding to go paleo/primal/clean, you have bigger problems to worry about than counting calories.

paleos would be well advised to focus all of their energies on not developing a smug condescension towards non-paleos and their food choices. be careful, this is a very difficult thing to accomplish and i fear you may fail. you should warn all those around you what they can expect if they make the mistake of mentioning fast food or pop tarts in your presence. good luck.
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options

to be honest, if you're deciding to go paleo/primal/clean, you have bigger problems to worry about than counting calories.

paleos would be well advised to focus all of their energies on not developing a smug condescension towards non-paleos and their food choices. be careful, this is a very difficult thing to accomplish and i fear you may fail. you should warn all those around you what they can expect if they make the mistake of mentioning fast food or pop tarts in your presence. good luck.

you just dissed me, just like you dissed bacon. I'm hurt :sad:
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am Indian. How do I convert?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    lol
    This will be very helpful for my next trip to Canada. Thanks!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    What happens if the bread I buy south of the border is actually made up of wheat grown north of the border, processed north of the border, baked south of the border, only to be brought back north of the border and consumed?

Is this going to be life or death?

your jet set lifestyle is too complicated. our caveman ancestors never had such worries. you should simplify your life to be more like them.

Wait...I thought we were going Medieval. I even got the weapons. Durn it. *kicks rocks*
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten a Canadian... any volunteers?

This creepy post brought to you by: Boredom!

I do NOT go well with a nice chianti!

*flees*

How about some fava beans?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate Canadians..
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Lies.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

hate? wrong thread.

you want that other thread.
  • Ben_Diesel
    Options
    This thread is Loonie
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten a Canadian... any volunteers?

This creepy post brought to you by: Boredom!

I do NOT go well with a nice chianti!

*flees*

How about some fava beans?

*sharpens shovel edges...*
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    i see this mistake made often by beginning Canadian calorie counters. keep in mind that MFP is an American website, so we use the american kilocalorie as our base unit of measure. however, Canada still uses the royal standard. if you're going to eat food produced in the USA while in Canada, you need to convert those American calories into Canadian (royal) calories, otherwise your food logging will be off.

it's really simple.

- look up the daily exchange rate between the USA and Canada
    - apply that conversion factor to the numbers on the label of any food produced in the USA, but eaten in Canada.

for example, if the day's calorie exchange rate is 1.03 Canadian (royal) calories for every 1.00 American calorie, you'd take that number and multiply it by the calorie amounts listed on the package for the American food.

e.g., a 270 calorie American bagel is equivalent to 270 x 1.03 = 278.1 Canadian calories.

this also applies to your macro settings for protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

i hope this was useful for those of you in Canada struggling to understand why you have stalled or hit a plateau. you are simply not logging the correct amount of calories. you can either eat only Canadian food, remember to apply this exchange rate conversion to your logging efforts, or eat as many meals as possible in the USA.

good luck, eh?

But Canadian calories are cleaner so now what do we do ?????:sad: