Do you add all food to your log?

Options

Replies

• Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I add everything with the exception of the occasional stick of gum or Crystal Light to-go.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I add everything, even my vitamins. Mustard, even though it has zero calories, has sodium and I keep track of that too. Sometimes, but it's rare, I will leave out a bite of something (not sure how you log a bite) if I have calories left over for the day. I like to look at my diary and know that it contains everything that I ate that day right down to my fish oil supplement.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I add everything because I track nutrients as well as calories.
    And as for calories, small amounts add up big time, especially when you have a relatively low calorie goal, like I do.
    So if I steal one of my kids' chicken nuggets or eat the crust of their pizza, I'm logging it.

It also helps me to think twice about sticking it in my mouth.

eta: I don't log water, though or most cal-free beverages though. Not sure why not.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'd say less than 5, like I don't add things like garlic & onion & seasonings used for cooking. If its veggies or somethign though, I do add it.

Me too. I also don't log bites of complex dishes - like I don't really know if that forkful of lasagna was 1/20th of a piece of lasagna, and I don't care - but if it's a simple food I will log it, like a spoonful of ice cream I will log as approximately 1/8 of a cup. And I log coffee, which has a measly 2 calories. I don't know, I have my own sort of rules that I stick to. We'll see when I weigh myself in a few weeks if they work or not. :smile:
  • VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I put absolutely everything. It keeps me in the habit. I even put in diet coke, even though it has no calories, because it has other things like sodium.
  • jjeddy
    jjeddy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We call those BLT's. (bites, licks, tastes). And yep, I add them to my log because they can add up fast if you don't.
  • Penny427
    Penny427 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to tally up every stick of gum, squirt of mustard etc..I was making myself crazy & this has to be a lifestyle change not an obsession that makes me so calorie counting nuts that I get burnt out and quit. I decided to chill out a bit and for me, its helped me stay sane.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I log everything but the olives in my martini....
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I add everything with the exception of the occasional stick of gum or Crystal Light to-go.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i try to since i am as interested in my nutrients as my calories!
  • Talister
    Talister Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I add everything but chewing gum [sugar free, Ill burn more cals chewing it than its worth lol] and cigarettes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know how many people out there who struggle and claim that "it isn't working" don't log everything and don't weigh and measure their foods. I see the posts all the time..."I'm doing everything right, how come it's not working?" My guess is that they don't feel like they can nibble on this or that and that and that somehow those calories don't add up. If it's not working, then you're probably not doing everything right IMHO...that would include logging everything.
  • fly_butterfly
    fly_butterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nope, there's stuff like that scone I ate and all of that biscoff I had for lunch that I can't really account for. So what I do is leave 5-600 cals open at then end of the day for things like this and keep a mental note.

^This.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know how many people out there who struggle and claim that "it isn't working" don't log everything and don't weigh and measure their foods. I see the posts all the time..."I'm doing everything right, how come it's not working?" My guess is that they don't feel like they can nibble on this or that and that and that somehow those calories don't add up. If it's not working, then you're probably not doing everything right IMHO...that would include logging everything.
    The real problem is accuracy of the database and of the actual calories labeled on the food. I don't think the actual caloric levels are regulated.

At least IMO
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I add a 5 calorie piece of gum, all vitamins, which was surprising some have calories, etc That stuff can all add up fast if you don't log it all!!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't log the bites, but I do round up my portions on other things to make up for that... like I know I didn't eat a 1/4 of an avocado, but I'm not going to log 1/5th of an avocado... so when in doubt round up a little
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I add everything I consume, although I do forget to add my diet pepsi's from time to time. That comes from my original mindset that if it had no calories then it didn't matter. Well, if I'm getting stuck in my weight loss and I need to look at my diary for answers, then I need a realistic picture of everything I'm consuming and when I'm consuming it. But that's just me. So I've been trying to remember to add everything.
  • xDaniix
    xDaniix Posts: 51
    Options
    i add everything, unless it has 0 calories :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    yup
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    all of it
    all of it
    all of it

I even log the non calorie stuff like green tea.....