Should I go to a doctor?

Options
I'm at the end of my tether.

I'm eating 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day, I'm exercising 7 days a week...

And I've lost 3lbs in three months.

I've had enough, I'm giving everything and getting nothing back, apart from sweat, frustration and hunger.

My profile pic does not show the story, I need to lose 20lbs. At this rate I'll be 40 before I do it (ok 31 by the way).

Do you think I need to find out if there is anything medically wrong?

Replies

• jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I went to my doctor after losing 5 pounds in 3 months. I am not a patient person so it was hard for me to wait that long but I went in armed with my diary printed out so she could tell I meant business. It turns out two of my headache medicines, could cause wight gain so she worked with me to find different medicines.

Also, I'm no expert but... are you eat enough? Are you eating back your excercise calories?
  • clareiow
    clareiow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well I do eat most of my exercise calories back, try to leave my calories "in the green" so to speak. I'm on no medication and or recently come off the pill.

I've tried increasing my calories to fit in with all those calculation tools on here but if I ate those I know I wouldn't lose a thing. It's too close to what I ate before when I gained! The only way I lose weight at the rate everyone else here seems to lose, is to do Atkins. But I can't sustain it :(
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Is there any down side to seeing a doctor for you? It might be worth bringing in your diary, and having them check for thyroid issues, potential nutritional deficits or allergies, or seeing if there might be something in your family medical history that could be contributing. If there isn't a down side, why not?

Edited to add: In terms of how many calories you're eating, were you exercising as intensely as you are now when you were eating the higher number of calories that lead to your weight gain? If not, it's possible you might benefit from upping your calories a bit to help fuel your workouts.
  • clareiow
    Options
    I had my thyroid tested a couple of years back when I hit this problem before (my first attempt at shunning the fad diet and trying calories and exercise) and it came back clear.

I do wonder about allergies. I have IBS and I do struggle with some foods. I also retain a lot of weight/water when I've eaten particularly salty meals.

I'm just so down about it. I know I'm fitter than I've ever been, and I know in my head that any kind of "down" is good, but it's such a slog. I cheated tonight with a Chinese takeout and now I know those 3lbs I've lost will be back on the scale tomorrow :(
  • rosehippy77
    rosehippy77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would maybe do a little research on food allergies and intolerances. I have gluten and dairy intolerance, and before I discovered this could never really lose any weight. I'm not suggesting that you specifically will have these, it may be something else, but it wouldn't hurt to check out that avenue of thought.
    I see the previous poster has made the suggestion too, but before getting to read that response, your comment about atkins immediately made me think about the low/no carbs therefore you'd have not been eating wheat right? There may be something in that, do a wee bit reading up on it, and maybe give wheat a miss for a week or so, see how you feel, can't hurt I guess. x
  • rosehippy77
    rosehippy77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I'm just so down about it. I know I'm fitter than I've ever been, and I know in my head that any kind of "down" is good, but it's such a slog. I cheated tonight with a Chinese takeout and now I know those 3lbs I've lost will be back on the scale tomorrow :(

I wouldn't get on the scale tomorrow, get back on the horse, make sure you drink plenty fluid tomorrow and wait a week. I had a burger king as an Easter treat last week, and got back to healthy the next day, then waited a week before getting on the scale, as I knew I would obsess and just feel bad if I'd gained any weight back. It'll all level out.
    It's hard waiting, I try not to weigh myself any more than every couple of weeks actually, because I would just be disappointed at it going so slow!
    With the odd takeout I like to call it "treating" rather than "cheating" if it wasn't planned, then I'd adjust the next days food/water intake. If it is planned, I try to adjust or plan in advance what my other meals are that day to offset.

Keep going though, you can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • clareiow
    Options
    Well i do wonder about wheat. What are the common symptoms?
  • Tanisha0812
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to get a check-up and have your throid evaluated. Hope all is well!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Well i do wonder about wheat. What are the common symptoms?

Have you had lab work done, once they found out I had a B-12 deficiency that cleared up my IBS. Once I started getting the shot once a month and taking the vitamin every day I don't have stomach issues any more.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Couldn't hurt, but the most important thing is being able to accurately monitor your calories. Perhaps you need to upgrade your kitchen scales. Using measuring cups can give you a 100-calorie range depending on how you measure (level to the top, rounded over the top, not quite enough to reach the top). If you can get an accurate reading for ounces or grams, you can be much more confident that your calorie count is closer to accurate. I say closer because even the calories given per serving on the package can be off by 100 calories or more.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Maybe open up your diary and let us see what you're eating, etc???
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    "I'm eating 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day, I'm exercising 7 days a week..."

I don't think you are eating enough at all. Do you eat back some or all of your exercise calories?
  • clareiow
    Options
    I thought my diary was open. Mind you I think the last week won't show anything to be proud of (chinese tonight, the odd Filet-o-fish!). Still under the calories in the main but the wrong kinds of food this week.
    I'll take a look at my profile and see if I can open it up.
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options

I'm eating 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day, I'm exercising 7 days a week...

What kind of exercise do you do? Have you taken measurements? Do your clothes fit differently? The scale doesn't always tell the truth.
  • IslandRider
    IslandRider Posts: 244
    Options
    Just a thought, you may want to get your metabolism tested. I was really struggling, went to the doctor, needed vitamin D, but was fine otherwise, so I went and got it tested... turned out it really was slow, my RMR was 1066/day. I started exercising more, upped my calories to maintenance level for 2 1/2 months and had it retested, now I'm up to 1256/day. I just went back to eating at a slight deficit, so we'll see how it goes. Good luck
  • AleshiaBunting
    AleshiaBunting Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know for me the scale says one thing, but my clothes tell me a different story.
    Try not to put a lot of focus on the scale.
    Are you eating enough? Are you overtraining?
    And like many on here, I think it would be beneficial to do a check-up with your doctor.
    Keep up the good work!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    if it gives you piece of mind sure get a full panel of blood work and go from there
  • clareiow
    Options
    I've been doing the 30day shred and run 8-9 miles a week as well. When I finish the shred I'll up the mileage.

Measurements since starting the shred have been fairly positive, I had a breakthrough about two weeks in where I lost an inch off each of these areas - bust, waist and thigh, and half an inch off hips. Since then, nothing.
  • truewheelbmx
    Options
    Do u actually need to lose or do u have any to lose?
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking a day?