Thanks Sandra I will google it thanks
  • ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You are so encouraging!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Still between 5 - 8 lbs to go and a bit more toning up. First pic is Oct 2012 and second pic is Mar 2013. I started doing Stronglifts 5 x 5 in December 2012 and this has made all the difference. I have lost more inches than I thought possible and my waist is currently smaller than it was in my teens and not done yet!!

mtrt3a.jpg

NICE!! I'm 42 and just started SL5x5 about two weeks ago. I only hope I can get results like that.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40's, but I began lifting 9 weeks ago and have lost a total of 9 inches off waist, belly button, hips, arm, thigh, and neck (most from waist and belly) while still losing weight (4 pounds in same time).

I use the New Rules of Lifting for Women which is a book about heavy lifting and proper food amounts. I highly recommend it!
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at my goal weight of 135 (5'10" tall) with 2 lbs left. I've been firming up with light weights and strength workouts. That seems for me at least to be doing the best for me. i don't have any pictures right now but I'll see what I can get. (Oh, and by the way, I'm 58, almost 59.)

What kind of strength work outs do you do and thanks can't wait to see the pictures

I have a DVD that my daughter gave me from I don't know when by Women's Health called "Look Better Naked". It has a strength workout and a metabolism workout. The strength one is my favorite but I do the metabolism one off and on also. The strength has really worked wonders at toning up. I have issues with my stomach area in particular after 3 babies, 1 c-section, and 3 intestinal surgeries ... and it's actually starting to flatten out (amazing). It's also toning up my arms. I'll look at the DVD tonight and get the actual information on it for you when I'm home.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Still between 5 - 8 lbs to go and a bit more toning up. First pic is Oct 2012 and second pic is Mar 2013. I started doing Stronglifts 5 x 5 in December 2012 and this has made all the difference. I have lost more inches than I thought possible and my waist is currently smaller than it was in my teens and not done yet!!

mtrt3a.jpg

HOT TAMALE
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at my goal weight of 135 (5'10" tall) with 2 lbs left. I've been firming up with light weights and strength workouts. That seems for me at least to be doing the best for me. i don't have any pictures right now but I'll see what I can get. (Oh, and by the way, I'm 58, almost 59.)

What kind of strength work outs do you do and thanks can't wait to see the pictures

I have a DVD that my daughter gave me from I don't know when by Women's Health called "Look Better Naked". It has a strength workout and a metabolism workout. The strength one is my favorite but I do the metabolism one off and on also. The strength has really worked wonders at toning up. I have issues with my stomach area in particular after 3 babies, 1 c-section, and 3 intestinal surgeries ... and it's actually starting to flatten out (amazing). It's also toning up my arms. I'll look at the DVD tonight and get the actual information on it for you when I'm home.

Thanks I really appreciate that as I am so new to all this stuff, never lifted weights, basically only thing I ever done was walking and i still do that but now I am motivated to tone up and you guys are very motivating
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Thanks I really appreciate that as I am so new to all this stuff, never lifted weights, basically only thing I ever done was walking and i still do that but now I am motivated to tone up and you guys are very motivating

I only use 5 lb weights too ... and started with just 2 1/2 lob weights ... so it's not like a huge amount ... and it could be less if you want. She gave me the weights, but you could even start by using a soup can or something like that for a lower weight. I didn't think I could do it, but she encouraged me and since she is a dancer (and has been since she was very little) and her mother-in-law is a dietician, she is a terrific source for me.

Hang in there ... you can do it ... even if it's small amounts.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 now and lost 45 pounds 2 years ago. I have always been a weight lifter, but I put on weight in my 40s and decided to do something about it. I just followed the guidelines here on MFP, ate my exercise calories, and cleaned up my diet - lots of lean meats, veggies, fruits, and occasional treats now and then. I cook most of my food from scratch, and pack my lunches for work. I believe in the theory that about 80% of your diet should be for nutrition, and about 20% for whatever you want, within your macros. It's worked for me.

At our age, I think the biggest factor is patience. The weight doesn't always come off quickly, and sometimes you have to mess around with your calories and exercise types to find that "sweet spot" that gets you the body you want. It can take me three months to lose 5 pounds, but that's the way it is when you're whittling off those last few pounds of fat.

As for exercise, I do Wendler's 5/3/1 strength program for powerlifting. I was a powerlifter in college, and once I hit my goal weight and needed something to work towards, i decided to get back into the sport. So now I'm competing in the Master's division (50-54) and loving it! In fact, I have the Florida State Championship meet in a month, so I'm training my *kitten* off and eating super clean. I don't recommend doing the 5/3/1 program unless you're seriously trying to build strength. It's designed for experienced lifters who really hit the iron hard. I'd recommend 5x5 or one of the other programs already mentioned. They're all good programs and you'll get great results if you put in the work.

Honestly, I'm in better shape than most women half my age, and that's pretty sad. Age is no excuse. Good luck! :smile:
  • Hi! I'm 54 and 5'1" tall. I started out at 171 and ended up at 113. It took about 6 months to get there. How did I do it? Run, spin, run, weights, run, run, and oh did I mention? RUN!

8376907683_b3e690038e.jpg
    Fat Me by WasFat_NowFit, on Flickr

8377986264_7dbd088de4.jpg
    November 10 2012 001 by WasFat_NowFit, on Flickr
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. I keep reading bout weights on MFP ... One day I will get it together to give it a go!
  • fatolelatdy
    fatolelatdy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sierrasdawn2
    Sierrasdawn2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Does 49 count?
    All Jillian Michaels, nothing but Jillian Michaels! Went from an 18 to an 8 (right now)...goal is a 6!
    Good luck with your goals!
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    thanks ladies - I am on the waiting list for NROL4W at the library. I will check out the stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength.
    I have a bum hip at the moment and am getting geeked about all of your suggestions for lifting as this is likely something I will be able to do safely.

you all look amazing and at 51 I am working on joining you all in your success and my quest for best health!:heart::smile: :heart:
  • gatorginger
    Options

I only use 5 lb weights too ... and started with just 2 1/2 lob weights ... so it's not like a huge amount ... and it could be less if you want. She gave me the weights, but you could even start by using a soup can or something like that for a lower weight. I didn't think I could do it, but she encouraged me and since she is a dancer (and has been since she was very little) and her mother-in-law is a dietician, she is a terrific source for me.

Hang in there ... you can do it ... even if it's small amounts.

I'm using 3 pound weights and boy do I feel it when I work out. I do find that since I started the Jillian Michaels no more trouble zones getting up after sitting for a bit on the couch I don't ach as much as I used to so I am definitely seeing so small results. (What I'm talking about is how I felt like an old person when I would go to get up from the couch after watching TV how my body didn't want to get going lol) Thanks
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You look great. What is 5x5?
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I'm 50 now and lost 45 pounds 2 years ago. I have always been a weight lifter, but I put on weight in my 40s and decided to do something about it. I just followed the guidelines here on MFP, ate my exercise calories, and cleaned up my diet - lots of lean meats, veggies, fruits, and occasional treats now and then. I cook most of my food from scratch, and pack my lunches for work. I believe in the theory that about 80% of your diet should be for nutrition, and about 20% for whatever you want, within your macros. It's worked for me.

At our age, I think the biggest factor is patience. The weight doesn't always come off quickly, and sometimes you have to mess around with your calories and exercise types to find that "sweet spot" that gets you the body you want. It can take me three months to lose 5 pounds, but that's the way it is when you're whittling off those last few pounds of fat.

As for exercise, I do Wendler's 5/3/1 strength program for powerlifting. I was a powerlifter in college, and once I hit my goal weight and needed something to work towards, i decided to get back into the sport. So now I'm competing in the Master's division (50-54) and loving it! In fact, I have the Florida State Championship meet in a month, so I'm training my *kitten* off and eating super clean. I don't recommend doing the 5/3/1 program unless you're seriously trying to build strength. It's designed for experienced lifters who really hit the iron hard. I'd recommend 5x5 or one of the other programs already mentioned. They're all good programs and you'll get great results if you put in the work.

Honestly, I'm in better shape than most women half my age, and that's pretty sad. Age is no excuse. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually at my goal weight right now and don't want to lose anymore so basically I just want to tone up. Good luck with your championship meet.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Hi! I'm 54 and 5'1" tall. I started out at 171 and ended up at 113. It took about 6 months to get there. How did I do it? Run, spin, run, weights, run, run, and oh did I mention? RUN!

8376907683_b3e690038e.jpg
    Fat Me by WasFat_NowFit, on Flickr

8377986264_7dbd088de4.jpg
    November 10 2012 001 by WasFat_NowFit, on Flickr

You look awesome thanks for the inspiration. I am down to 125 which is where I want to be and like you I lost the 23 pounds pretty fast but now I just want to tone up
  • mhollyj
    mhollyj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. This is great motivation for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!