Would you feel bad for this boy?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
Last night, I was taking my daughter to softball and I stopped in a convenience store for a coffee. As I was getting my coffee, a young boy, about 10 years old walked next to me and was in front of the Slurpee machine. He was probably a good 30 - 35 pounds overweight. He said "I want one of these"..... and I saw that his parents were behind me.

The father, about 80 - 100 pounds overweight said "No, that's too much sugar"...... which was immediately followed up by his mom ( she was also about 70 - 80 pounds too heavy ) who said "OK, but only a medium one, and you can't have your fruit tonight or you can't have your pepperoni. You only get one or the other."

That kid is doomed.

Replies

• AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    they let him have a Slurpee but then denied him fruit? that kid is screwed!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Oy vey...
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    fruit and pepperoni? what kind of meal is that?
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    :huh: .....:grumble: ...no fruit...wth?
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    fruit and pepperoni? what kind of meal is that?

Hawaiian pizza!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Why would I feel bad? Not everyone wants to be healthy and if they ever decide that they want to they can do that too.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i don't think he's doomed, seems to me like his parents are trying to cut his portion sizes which is a good start, how do you know they haven't enrolled him in some type of sport activity? As they learn better they'll do better.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. Poor kid. Doomed from the start.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Wow thats just wow
  • kathrynhallsworth27
    Options
    thats so sad. They need to have a nutritionist teacher in schools these days! My neice always chooses water over fizzy drink now over something she learnt in school :) I dont mean just teach them the food pyrimid, actually teach them about whats in the foods they eat! and why fat and sugar is so bad for your body. it will stick with them for life! and clearly they need all the help they can get!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Why would I feel bad? Not everyone wants to be healthy and if they ever decide that they want to they can do that too.

Same for me.

I may be eating healthier and have a healthier body, but my mental health is in the toilet. I'd love to have a Slurpee and pepperoni, no fruit.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't want to live in a world where children aren't free to have their slurpees and fruit and pepperoni. Also, cheese. Just because.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    i don't think he's doomed, seems to me like his parents are trying to cut his portion sizes which is a good start, how do you know they haven't enrolled him in some type of sport activity? As they learn better they'll do better.

I kinda had this perspective, too.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. The parents could be (like me) learning. We all didn't have the right answers immediately.

Now, I'm overweight (and was bigger before here), and I would have said no to my son. Not for the sugar content, but the food dyes, but that's a whole new post! haha
  • motown13
    Options

Yeah, that is fine for adults, but they are setting their own child up with bad health habits. I'm gonna hope you just missed the point, and don't think it's fine for parents to do that.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Last night, I was taking my daughter to softball and I stopped in a convenience store for a coffee. As I was getting my coffee, a young boy, about 10 years old walked next to me and was in front of the Slurpee machine. He was probably a good 30 - 35 pounds overweight. He said "I want one of these"..... and I saw that his parents were behind me.

The father, about 80 - 100 pounds overweight said "No, that's too much sugar"...... which was immediately followed up by his mom ( she was also about 70 - 80 pounds too heavy ) who said "OK, but only a medium one, and you can't have your fruit tonight or you can't have your pepperoni. You only get one or the other."

That kid is doomed.

Unfortunately this type of thing is common in the US. A kid should never be forced to give up fruit for a day after having a treat. That does not encourage healthy eating habits in a 10 year old.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

Yeah, that is fine for adults, but they are setting their own child up with bad health habits. I'm gonna hope you just missed the point, and don't think it's fine for parents to do that.

But if they've grown up with the same bad health habits, they will pass them along because it's the norm to them
  • motown13
    Options

I certainly do not know if he is in a sport.

But with his parents about 150 - 175 overweight between themselves, and the fact that the mom IMMEDIATELY overruled the father and let him have the Slurpee, is a really bad sign.

As they learn what, exactly, after 10 years? It doesn't take 10 years to figure out that almost anything is better than a Slurpee for nutrition, probably including the pepperoni, and certainly the fruit is better.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Hahaha, what?! Spoiled rotten! Wow! I don't have any sympathy.
  • motown13
    Options

But if they've grown up with the same bad health habits, they will pass them along because it's the norm to them

That's my point..... the kid is doomed.