How much do you pay for your Personal Trainer?

Options
I'm looking into hiring a personal trainer. For those of you living in the States, how much do you pay for your trainer? How often do you work with them and how long is a session? If you have anyother suggestions or questions to ask them, please share.

Thanks!

Replies

• MariaYaremchak
    MariaYaremchak Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Mine is based on sessions/week for a month. I currently do 3/session a week and its $270 a month. So that comes out to $22.50 each session. That includes one hour for each personal session with a customized workout. Stength training, abdominal work and cardio.

Prices fluctuate based on # of sessions each week. She offers packages for 1-5 sessions a week and an a la carte option where the price is a flat $24/session.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    My best friend's husband is a personal trainer....so... nothing. (He doesn't come to the gym with me or anything, he just gives advice and tells me what to do/classes to take.)
    But I know that he charges 25$ per session... and thats about how much the trainers at my gym charge.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I live Ina high COL area and trainers here run around $50 per hour
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I live in Albuquerque, and mine charges $47 ph since she travels 30 miles to work with me, $10 to attend her weekend classes. I work with her at least 1x a week, but she provides me home workouts and monitors my diet so I can maximize weight loss.

For suggestions....interview your trainers:

1) What certifications to they have? NASM as a mininum, Fitness degree
    2) Experience: How long, where
    3) References: Do they have any, are they willing to speak directly to you
    4) Background check in some areas - If they will be coming to your house, you want to make sure they are legit and not scoping out your goods.
    5) Ask their approach to fitness, and what thier agenda/outline is. Do they start off with an assessment, do they ask about your health (this is imparative as some medical conditions will/should warrant denial of services or recommendation to higher skilled professionals)
    6) Are they insured?
    7) Are they CPR certified?
    8) Ask if you can shadow a client while they work out with them to experience his techniques.

Small but simple questions that apply to your situation...this helps you guage more on a personal level on how they would treat issues that you may have should they arise.

I love my trainer....I worked with her 6 years ago after I first got married. Had to quit due to other priorities, then went through a few other trainers, but never got anywhere near the same results (I lost 30lbs and was cut like no-ones business). Finally caved and she agreed to work with me again....lovin' it!!!
  • JustMQ
    JustMQ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know you're only interesting in what people pay in the States, but I can't help but comment. PTs run bout $75/hr in Canada (the city I live in, anyways)! I WISH i could find one for $25! You're so lucky!!
  • gaillee57
    gaillee57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anytime Fitness...with my trainer I get 3 half hour sessions a week and it is $298 for a month - plus the $36 a month for the membership fee. I did sign a one year contract - I have 100 pounds to lose. I figure the money is well worth it if it keeps me off high blood pressure meds, diabetes meds, whatever health problems I may eventually have because of obesity. I work a 30 minute intense circuit that he changes up every two weeks. I live 30 minutes north of Minneapolis, MN.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    100$ an hour. Both in Calgary, and Toronto.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    $20 per half hour session (but he works with me until the routine he designed for me is done, regardless of the time it takes), 3 x a week. Unfortunately he's a 35 minute drive away, but he's worth that and so much more. I was just very lucky to have my nutritionist recommend him. He's fantastic.