Why can't I just do this?! How did you stick with it???

Options

Replies

• darleyschroeder
    Options
    It can be really hard, sometimes it can be the hardest thing to do. Ever.
    What worked for me, to lose nearly 70 pounds, was to find healthy foods I LIKED. I would go online and find healthy food makeovers. That way I could feel like I was eating fat foods and save lots of calories. I found veggies and fruits that I liked and tried to have 1 in each meal or most meals. I stopped sugary drinks, that was a big one for me. I ate a protein rich breakfast and I tried to move at least a bit each day. I also ate like a fat kid 1 day a week and 1 day a week only.
  • Angiehankins77
    Options
    Up until a month ago I was feeling the same way. Then I wrote out my rewards for myself in small 3-5lb increments. Plus I decided to concentrate on either diet or exercise, I chose diet first. I try to not overwhelm myself...when I'm overwhelmed I stress and eat..so maybe keep it simple with lots of rewards for yourself in short attainable goals...maybe like...no cheats for 2 days you get your nails done, etc. Good luck! Hang on strong!
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. We all do...that sinking, self-loathing 'screw this' attitude. I feel that way once to several times a day. When you feel down, do an even harder workout routine. Take all of your emotions out in your workout.

You WILL get there, you just have to try a little harder than you are now.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    There is no trick, it's just determination and being sick and tired of being sick and tired. Good luck with your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Make you goal to just log for one week. No matter what you eat, no matter how much, but it in your food diary.

Once you have achieved that, you can work on refining what you eat.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I wanted a healthier lifestyle more than I wanted unhealthy amounts of food. It's not always easy. I really wanted the 1500 calorie main course at Cheesecake factory the other weekend, but I found a better alternative that still made me happy and allowed for a bit of cheesecake afterwards. I don't always want to go to the gym, but I always do. I'm not always successful, but I don't let my stumbles dictate me. You either do it or you don't.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for about 10 weeks now...I'd say I'm pretty good at sticking to it about 80% of the time. My "secrets":

1. I didn't try to do too much at once. I'm just controlling my diet for now. If I tried to also work out (which I haven't done in years), I think it would be expecting too much, too soon and I would quit. I'll add exercise when I'm ready.

2. I eat enough calories so that I don't end up starving and binging. Yes, it takes longer to lose weight, but I can also stick with it. It's better to lose 0.5 a week, or even stay the same, then to keep gaining. Time is going pass regardless, and I'd rather weigh less in a year then weigh 15 lbs more like the last 6 years.

3. It's not all or nothing plan. If (when) I fall off, then I get back on the next day. After a while the good days outnumber the bad days and I see results which is the biggest motivator of all. The only failure is quitting altogether.

4. Patience with the process, and with myself. I'm not perfect.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. ????
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It's a process. I've fallen off the wagon so many times. I still do. Take it a day at a time. If you're craving something, try finding a better substitute--even if it's only a few calories less. You'll get the hang of it. Keeping up with my measurements helps me stay motivated (the scale usually takes away my drive with its inconsistency, my weight fluctuates too much). Don't feel like a failure, 'cause we've all been there. :) & none of us are perfect. Maybe implement a "cheat day?" That helps me stay focused during the week & then I have something a little extra to look forward to!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I believe that each person has to find their own motivation.

For me, I got ended up with a ton of pregnancy complications that all had one similar risk factor that caused them. One of which put me in a life threatening situation and as such my son was premature. He is my motivation. I need to get healthy, not only for me, but for my son. I don't want to get in another situation where my life is at risk, because I was to lazy do get healthy. *

*Please don't take that as a stab at you or anyone else. I admit that for me, being lazy is what caused this to begin with.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    After losing 70 lbs then gaining 50 of it back, here's what I learned:

The trick is: There IS no trick.
    Eat less, move more. Burn more calories than you consume.
    I don't WANT to believe this; I don't WANT it to be the only way. But it is.

Wishing, hoping, praying, crying, moaning, burning incense, crossing my fingers, or throwing myself on the floor in a full-fledged tantrum doesn't work. Believe me, I've tried them all.

When I'm honest with myself and I OWN my own body and how I have treated it, I have to face that I didn't get fat overnight; and not once has anyone ever held a gun to my head and said "EAT THAT, DAMMIT." My weight is the sum of my own choices and decisions.

And that's what sucks.

And one reason I use MFP is that, as much as I hate to say it, logging what I eat--even when I'm not proud of it--is the one way I have been found to be completely honest with myself about the simple fact that my weight is the sum of my own choices and decisions.

OWN your disgust! Then JUST DO IT!

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    First of all, you gotta love yourself enough to at least try. After that, you find little things that make it a bit easier. For me, it's a (satisfying) nightly snack that I really enjoy and eating at maintenance cals one day a week if I feel the need. That means I can have the things I'm craving as long as I'm "good" for six days. I probably won't have my higher-calorie day every week, but it definitely helps knowing I can if I want to. Fit in the things you like to eat. It's important (even pizza and cheesecake).
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    There is no secret and there is no trick. You just have to want to it. I started out just logging what I was eating (good or bad), when I ate it, and that opened my eyes to where I could make adjustments and also decide if I was really hungry or just bored, or stressed, or upset. You are only accountable to yourself. Good luck to you in finding your way. :flowerforyou:

This. I'm obviously still very very unfit* but until I was able to look at what and how I was eating, I wasn't able to do better. Once I realized the days & times I was likely to binge and emotionally eat, I was able to adjust my decisions. I still have days where I emotionally eat and do poorly - consciously, even -- but they've become fewer as I've been more aware of what goes in my mouth.

The longer I do it, the more natural it becomes.

It also helped to look at my body and focus on the *good* in it. I've got a lot of fat, yes, but the shape underneath it is going to rock when I get it out.

* (I'm 275 and only lasted 6 minutes on my bike for the first time tonight, but **** yeah, that was six minutes I didn't do yesterday.)
  • cmserene
    cmserene Posts: 8
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough. It's a total state of mind.

Working out, although REALLY hard to get into a routine with, is incredibly good for your mood. I feel amazing after a workout and now I find myself looking forward to it almost every day, and the days I feel like I just have NO energy and all I want to do is go home and lay down or hang out on the couch I say to myself 'It's only 20 minutes of working out THEN I can lay down or watch TV.' I suck it up for the 20-30 minutes and afterwards....well I feel 100 times better :o)

It is REALLY hard to do if you have been doing the wrong things for so long. I'm an emotional eater and I have arthritis and other medical issues that have made it especially hard for me to get into it, but I've also recently made up my mind that I HAVE to fix this. If I don't do it now, and keep going at the rate I'm going, pretty soon I'll have MORE weight to lose. Enough is enough! A change needed to be made, so here I am.

I feel your pain because I've been there more often than I like to admit. Feel free to add me as a friend or PM me ♥

Bottom line, THE TRICK IS TO WANT IT BAD ENOUGH :flowerforyou:
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen. :)
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way as the OP today. All of you that replied have made a difference. You were all so positive and gave such good feedback. Thanks to you all...:flowerforyou:
  • gracetoo
    gracetoo Posts: 29
    Options
    There isn't a trick, but not letting the crappy days overtake you and be the end of you.
    I've been at this for about 18 months now. I go for a few weeks/months of being great and sticking to it and then something gets me going and I lose it. I fall apart, secretly snack, am not as motivated to exercise, make excuses and ignore reality.
    The I see what MFP friends are doing and I realise that the only person I am cheating is myself and I get back at it.
    You're going to fall, but pick yourself up and keep going, keep making yourself a priority and don't give in to the urge that you screwed it up today and yesterday so why not just admit defeat?
    Go slowly, take your time and savour the little victories before looking at the big ones.
  • mlcrruth
    mlcrruth Posts: 10
    Options
    Maybe you are being too radical, and taking an approach that is not sustainable for you. Healthy eating isn't just skinless grilled chicken and steamed vegetables.
    That is about what it feels like for me. At least I have cut out sweet tea. Talk about southern comfort lol.

I went by that bodybuilding.com recipe stuff on their beginner workout meal plan is practically that :p On EVERY ONE. Its expensive to eat right to. At least for a 23 year old who is on a limited budget.
  • ChristinaD2
    Options
    Do you, perhaps, restrict your diet too much during the days that you eat well? You can eat healthily and still indulge a bit, which I think is crucial to being able to sustain good eating habits (for me, anyway). I'm sorry that you are feeling so down... I've been there and I, finally, just got tired of starting over. As for the workouts, don't be so hard on yourself. I have a ways to go, but have lost 22 lbs. and I can tell you that I definitely do not exercise as much as I should. I'm working on it and am having a great time discovering what I 'enjoy' doing and you will, too :smile: Feel free to send me a friend request, if you like. My friends on this site are incredible! I wish you success!