Why can't I just do this?! How did you stick with it???

Options

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Obsess.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    For me, it helps to know I'm not on a diet. There is no food I CANNOT have. I just make a choice before I eat anything regarding whether I'm willing to work for it. Sometimes I am (such as the eclair I had after my kickboxing class tonight). And I STILL have 250 more calories I could eat, if I chose. To stick with it, I had to have an attitude adjustment. Figure out WHY you're doing this, and WHAT you're willing to do for it.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I am so disgusted with my body and hate how I look yet I seem to be doing everything wrong!!!! I eat good for 2 days and then it all goes to crap!! So depressed and broken. What is the secret?? What is the trick?!?!

There are no secrets or tricks. You sound as though you have hit bottom so at this point there's only one way for you to go. There are lots of good posts on here. Pay attention and learn from all the great people who are sharing this journey with you. We all have bad days and good days. Just try to be positive and remember this is the rest of your life you are dealing with, you can make it what you want.
  • cecehite19
    cecehite19 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Be accountable, log and participate. Find friends similar to yourself and build up relationships!!!!! Good Luck Commit!!! Cece
  • MizStephanie
    MizStephanie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know it is my diet but how do you stick to eating healthy??? I eat emotionally too. I am just so absolutely disgusted and depressed!!! I haven't exercised regularly in a week ...

Sorry for the vent. I am just so down tonight.

I know where you are coming from. I am on my first good day from an 8 day binge eating episode. We can not beat ourselves up over this. What I would suggest doing is instead of eating either "all good" or "all bad" is incorporating some of the bad foods in during the good days. For instance, eat 3 healthy meals, and treat yourself to a cupcake or a cookie for dessert, that way you don't feel deprived. If you do eat like this most of the time, the extra calories from the sweet treats will not be too detrimental to your calorie intake, especially if you are exercising regularly. Good luck!!
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I gained 131 lbs from having 2 children and then battling depression after my mom died

I have tried all sorts of diets and am gung ho for a week or two or sometimes even a month but then i quit and gain back every pound i lost and sometimes a couple more

This time when I started my diet I knew it was different I knew I was going to do this and I knew I MUST do this for me!
    Monday will make 10 weeks on this lifestyle change!
    Don't consider it a diet make a change!
    If you fall off one meal pick yourself up shake your boots off and hop back on the horse and make your next meal an awesome one!

When you start feeling like you wanna give up come and read this thread and all these encouraging thoughts

Make yourself feel guilty

What ever your currency is
    Does having people compliment you motivate you - Then take pictures so you can watch your progress and post them here so we can motivate you

Will a reward work for you - Ok if your good for 6 days then on the 7th day you can go out and have some tacos or what ever you love!

Most imporantly make this change for yourself
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Keep (ing) it Simple and refining my diet as I got used to the changes.

I started with:
    * how my plate looked- ie 50% vegetables, 25% meat and 25% pasta/rice etc.
    * cutting snacks after dinner
    * increasing water intake.
    * walking

ETA: reminding myself of motivation- I was out of breath dancing/running after my kids, and I did not want to gain weight from quitting smoking
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I know it is my diet but how do you stick to eating healthy??? I eat emotionally too. I am just so absolutely disgusted and depressed!!! I haven't exercised regularly in a week ...

Sorry for the vent. I am just so down tonight.

Stop looking at it as a diet for one. It's a lifestyle change. Don't deny yourself just slowly wing yourself off of certain stuff. I feel like you can have that cookie just don't eat the whole row. The way I learned more about controlling myself is paying attention to serving sizes and finding alternatives to certain things I liked. If I wanted cheesy chips I tried quakers rice pop chips.. I think that's what it's called and they are delicious. If you want something sweet replace that cookie with an apple or your fruit of choice. Do something fun with it. If I really have a sweet tooth. I throw something together instead of going to the store and buying a bunch of junk. Like not to long ago I wanted something sweet so I cut up some apples fried em up and made a brown sugar and coconut sauce to go over it. It was like candied apples. It was so good and I was so satisfied that I didn't eat all of it. Sometimes it's hard taking that first step to trying to change little things that you usually eat. The most important thing is you don't restrict yourself and say "I'm quitting all junk food". A few days later your going to crash. Why? Because you basically jumped off the ladder to quickly.

You can do it. You just have to believe in yourself and want to seriously make this change.As far as working out goes. Find a workout that you enjoy and it won't seem like much of a workout. A lot of people see working out as punishment or torture. Find something you enjoy and it won't seem like that. If you like dancing then go to Zumba. Zumba is fun and your enjoying the music so much that you don't even realize it's a workout. Its about finding what works for you.. Everything works differently for everyone. If your having trouble with motivation and reason why. Just write down some goals and reasons why you want to accomplish them. Be realistic with your goals don't say you want to lose 25lbs in 3 weeks or you'll quit. Any progress is better than no progress. Doesn't matter if it's 1 inch, 1lb, or just being able to do 1 more squat than last time. Progress is progress. Good luck to you!
  • susanatsd
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean...I started the day wrong - ate crackers for breakfast then went for huge lunch with my 94 yr old mother - my food craveings started full out and I spent he rest of the day shoveling it in....now I feel like such a jerk...BUT I love these postings...today was today and it's over and tomorrow is another chance to do it right! So power to you in a new day
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is just what I needed. The ideas are terrific to persevere, go do the right thing next time, learn from each mistake. Don't beat yourself up about it. Words of wisdom, thank you. I joined MFP 2011 and since retiring I have gained weight. So I restarted Jan 2013 and have lost only 1 lb. But I have averaged 4-6 hours a week in the gym, and feel so much better. So much stronger and can tackle the physical demands of life easier now. I am looking to focus and add structure into my life so that I am more active. It did not used to be this hard to lose weight after pregnancies, and then later after menopause. I am not so active in my lifestyle anymore without a job, and I don't need as many calories as I usually eat. So making changes has come slowly as I realize what is not working for me. A whole lot of ups and downs this year, but I think spring is the best time for me to lose weight. The weather is better and energizing making it easier to go to the gym. Thanks for this topic, love it!
  • 1cargirl
    1cargirl Posts: 1
    Options
    It really is all about the mind set...I've been a WW member for 4 years in Jan...made lifetime and had kept it off until this past Christmas, and this long winter and I gained 8 lbs....If you're in what I call "eating mode", forget it..every Monday you'll say, this week I'm going to do it, and 3 days later, you're stuffing yourself with frozen Christmas cookies....You have to get into the non eating mode, by this I mean, only eating when you're hungry, eating within your calorie goal...You may be trying to deprive yourself of anything 'good'..that's bad..it's a life style change...no one can live their life eating "healthy" 24/7 forever..stop beating yourself up. what got me out of the eating mode??? I had lost 3 pant sizes...and last monthI sat at work feeling like I was stuffed into my pants...so that's it, I will not buy bigger pants, I will not let everyone say, I knew she'd gain that weight back...sorry so long...just my experience
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The only way I can do it is to log every single item I eat so I can see what i'm eating. (I also keep my diary open so others can see and critique what i'm doing wrong). I'm also very competitive so I joined a group on here where you are split into different teams and given a challenge every day to complete. It's kinda fun. I also challenge myself to do at least 30 minutes of cardio five days a week (Monday-Friday) and body weight exercises Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Saturday all I do is clean which is also pretty good exercise and Sundays are my lazy days.

I also suggest finding exercises you like doing or a selection so you aren't bored.
    I bought the rockin' body dvds by shaun T and it's kind of fun. You do a lot of dancing and your so busy trying to figure out what you are supposed to be doing and what comes next and how to do certain moves you don't even realize the time.
    I also play basketball on days I don't feel like jumping around like an idiot in front of my tv.

Btw fruit and veggies makes great snacks! so just get into the habit of sitting in front of your tv with a big bowl of cauliflower. (= Good luck! Feel free to add me!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I think that you have to look at what you are saying with "I am doing everything wrong" because if you are looking, I mean really looking at your motivation and what you can change then you are not doing everything wrong. The only thing that you could be doing completely wrong is not telling the truth about where you are in your situation.
    It sucks to be overweight and depressed and to use food to relieve anxiety or to fill a void. Believe me I definitely can relate because I was upset earlier and REALLY wanted a piece of cake or junk food to make me feel better, but you know what.....it won't.....the only thing that it would do is make me feel worse the next time I stepped on the scale. Food will never be the solution that can fix your problem because it was never meant to do that.
    The best advice I could give you is to let go of what has already happened diet wise and start tomorrow recording what you are eating. You don't even have to change it yet, just record it and see where you stand calorie wise....then look where you can improve one type of food at a time-maybe stop sodas or cut back on sweets or fried foods. The first week will suck big time until you get used to it, but you will get used to it. Then take it one day at a time and one change at a time until you hit that first 10lb loss and then go from there. Good luck with this and best wishes!
  • celibella
    Options
    It's pretty hard actually to get past the second day. Many people give right back in by the third day. I have often done so on my journey. The trick is to force yourself to get past the 3rd day at the very least (ok...not much of a trick) but seriously though...! What else is there to do, you know? Just make a decision and commit to it. Make a goal...whether it's a time-limit, event, or number...just make a goal...make it reasonable. Tell yourself all you have to do is get past the 3rd day...then once you do it...get past the 5th day....then take a break...couple days to ease the tension....but do it smart!! Don't pig-out and let all cares go. Even your cheat days have to adapt. You can't let yourself eat that whole family sized bag of chips in one sitting anymore. If you make it your goal to reach your smaller goals maybe the end result won't seem so hard.

Couple things that help me:

1. Finding a friend that is also interested in losing weight, being healthy and/or getting into shape. Positive reinforcement is key!
    2. Reading diet (loosely termed) literature (ok not really helpful, but I find if I surround myself with diet books it helps me focus on what I want)
    3. Being active. Short walks. Cleaning. Hobbies. Fill your life with activities. It will get you engaged in your life and allow your brain to rest from thinking about food all the time.
    4. This is a little quacky ok...but it really helped me. It's visualization basically... If I ever get a craving I picture in my mind what I'm craving and I picture it floating away like a helium balloon released into the sky. The craving starts to get smaller and further and further away...far out of my reach. Then I move on to what I was doing or I engage my mind in something else.
    5. Seeing real life stories. If you know anyone who has lost a noticeable amount weight, ask them if you can see their before picture. So helpful and inspiring!

I don't know if any of this applies to you, but maybe there's something here that appeals to you...

Anyway, GOOD LUCK DOLL! I know that you can do it if you put your mind to it :)
  • Buffalogirl227
    Buffalogirl227 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is no trick, it's just determination and being sick and tired of being sick and tired. Good luck with your goals. :flowerforyou:

I like this!! Its so true~!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    What makes you fall off? Remove that stimulus and you'll be well on your way.

I'll tell you what used to make me fall off the wagon after a week, and what fixed it. I have a VERY hard time not eating junk food when it's readily available. So I just make sure it's never readily available. I stock up on nothing but lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and whole wheat grains every couple of weeks. I do my cooking for the week on Sunday night, and pack it all away in tuperware.

I don't have to think about food the rest of the week. I just eat whatever's handy, and it's always healthy.

For me the workouts really fall into place pretty easily once you have your diet squared away. And if your diet is really tight, you don't need to workout all that much to get lean anyway.

But seriously-- think about what it is that makes you fall off your diet. How did you feel at the time, emotionally? What had you just been doing, or thinking about?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I disagree with some posters who say there are no "tricks." We all have our tricks that work for us, but the trouble is finding them. The same trick doesn't work for everyone, and not everyone has a difficult time finding their "trick." But some people do, and often it's not their fault.

For me, it's necessary to stay away from sugar because sugar triggers a craving to eat more. When I can stay clean of sugar, impulse control is tremendously easier. Lots of experts advise against this approach because they haven't lived in my shoes.

Also, as I posted earlier, I feel mentally and emotionally more balanced when I exercise, even if it's just a walk. This improved state of mind makes it easier to stick to my diet.

It took me 30 years to find my "tricks." They work for me, but following other people's "expert" advise just led to diet failure, bewilderment at my lack of self control, and a lot of self loathing. I'm so relieved that I've finally found what works for me, and I have to say, it feels like a miracle to finally have the right answers. Don't stop looking for your own right answers!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I went through the same stage. Then it just clicked and i started doing it!! You will get this!!! Just focus on why you want it and go get it ;)
  • partycentral
    Options
    I also agree there is no trick that fits everyone...but it is nice to read others "tricks" and use them or modify them for personal use...I avoid mfp if I've had a bad day..it's like if I have evidence of bad habits it frustrates me. I started off with a no tolerance to carbs and drastically reduced my carbs, this was the best thing i ever did! I did this for an entire month, then guess what happened, without a fight or craving or battle, I changed my eating habits. Well, for the most part anyways. I'd compare this concept to quitting smoking which is exactly how I quit 8 years ago and where the idea came from. So, it worked for me, who knows it might work for you too
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    you should regroup and recommit to the process.

by your name, it would appear you have children. if you can't motivate yourself everyday to putting the best your forward do it for your children.

they need a mother who is healthy, positive, and happy with her body image.

every time you want to slip - just look at them or a pic of them and remember why your doing this.