How do you "dress up" your brown rice?

Options
WickedZoey
WickedZoey Posts: 401 Member
Let me start by saying, I am not a huge cook. I like things that are relatively easy/simple to make. That being said, I am looking for suggestions on quick and easy "sauces" that you add to brown rice. I'm fine eating it plain, but was curious to see what other people add for flavor.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I don't use any sauces but do cook my brown rice with seasoned broth instead of water
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I made homemade sundried tomato hummus and mixed that in wil my rice and dipped my veggies in it omg so good
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't use any sauces but do cook my brown rice with seasoned broth instead of water
    That's pretty much what I do. If you can handle the sodium, pop a bouillon cube or two in the water. Really does make a difference. Only way I can get my hubby to eat brown rice.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I dress mine up in a coat with the tie being optional.

Why not do stir fry? Olive oil, garlic, low sodium soy sauce and a few veggies left over in your fridge to toss in there.
  • animelose2012
    Options
    i mix mine with salsa!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I put a little lemon juice on any rice, I love lemon juice, sometimes I put a simply oil and vinegar dressing on it, like maybe a tsp or two, even like a little greek dressing and feta with cucumber, I find it refreshing.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Cook in low-sodium chicken broth. I know you said you don't really cook, but this is pretty simple... While it's cooking, cut up an onion, garlic, and some sundried tomatoes; sautee for 5 minutes or so. If you like pine nuts, throw those in too. Mix the rice in when it's done for about a minute. Top with a bit of feta or parmesan. Sooo good.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I made homemade sundried tomato hummus and mixed that in wil my rice and dipped my veggies in it omg so good

I LOVE hummus and brown rice. So good.
  • lbpslah
    lbpslah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to put it on salads and the salad dressing adds great flavor, I especially like wishbone basil and ????? something lite vinaigrette and/or french's honey mustard. OH or salsa!!
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For 1 cup of uncooked rice or 3 cups cooked rice - Squeeze 1 lemon and add 3 tbsp chopped cilantro. Some salt of course - And you won't believe how yummy it is. :smile:
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I mix in frozen peas and corn if I just want something quick. If I have more time, I'll chop up some mushrooms, zucchini and carrots or broccoli. The more veggies in my rice, the longer I feel that I'm eating my fill of starch! I also cook my rice with vegetable broth for more flavor.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in sodium free or low sodium broths. Sometimes I add low sodium soy sauce or oriental seasonings. I use Mrs. Dash's sodium free seasonings in a lot of things, including brown rice. It took me awhile to learn to like brown rice, but now I don't care for white rice. I put brown rice in my gumbos and jambalayas, make sausage & rice with the broths. Lots of ways to make brown rice.. I just experimented.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I make brown rice a lot of different ways, sometimes I use broth, but lately I've been cooking mine in a steamer and I always make extra.

This last batch I made in order to make a recipe for Black Bean Sweet Potato Burgers which called for some cooked brown rice. (Here's the link http://lizdialto.com/veggieburgerrecipe the recipe totally rocked.)

With the leftovers I used some of the brown rice is a lentil dish I made: Lentils, Rice, Sweet Potatoes, Raisins, Mustard Greens. (no recipe for this one, it was also super yummy but off the cuff.)

Yesterday I finished off the rice batch by making a salad with romaine, corn, black beans, cooked brown rice, grape tomatoes and cilantro. I ate it with some homemade vinaigrette.

I cook quite a bit and the more you cook the more you realize you can do with stuff like brown rice. It's great with cooked greens and sweet potatoes. I don't usually "sauce" it like you are asking but rather I usually incorporate it into a meal or another dish.

But what about curries? You can do all sorts of things with curries over rice. Or rice and beans, Or rice pudding, yum. I do all of that and more.

Good luck! :smile:
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I put a little lemon juice on any rice, I love lemon juice, sometimes I put a simply oil and vinegar dressing on it, like maybe a tsp or two, even like a little greek dressing and feta with cucumber, I find it refreshing.

I have to try this!!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I dress mine up in a coat with the tie being optional.

Why not do stir fry? Olive oil, garlic, low sodium soy sauce and a few veggies left over in your fridge to toss in there.
    This is a good idea add an egg and you have homemade fried rice.
  • meeper123
    Options

I LOVE hummus and brown rice. So good.

I love how they taste togther :)
  • meeper123
    Options

I have to try this!!

Yum yum!!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I add garlic powder and chili powder at the same time I add the rice to the water to cook. Delish!
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Saute whatever vegetables you have handy and toss them in with the rice. Nuts are good too.
  • kitty_764
    kitty_764 Posts: 64
    Options
    Lemon juice or balsamic vinegar, or just a little salt