What helped you the most?

Options
What helped you most on your weightloss journey and what would you recommend? :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A moderate calorie deficit (~1lb per week) and weight training (helps maintain muscle)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A moderate calorie deficit (~1lb per week) and weight training (helps maintain muscle)

^^yep

And a digital food scale.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Tracking
    Food scale
    Getting in the habit of daily exercise
    Recognizing that this is my new life, not a short term solution

I think the last one is important because there is no giving up. Sure, I get frustrated when the scale doesn't move, but I just keep eating healthy and moving my body. If I get stuck at obese, I plan on being the healthiest obese person on the planet!
  • x123retrokiddx
    Options
    Between making time for the gym at least 3x a week and if I am at work I always pack healthy snacks. I snack all day and eat a normal meal at night. I have also managed to lose weight and go out on the weekends. I workout if I know that I'm going out with my friends that night. For me, it's all about figuring out how to make fitness and health a lifestyle rather than a diet. I used to be terrified of going out and sweets and would binge whenever sweets were in front of me. I learned how to moderate food that isn't the best but I do enjoy, but the majority of my diet I strive to be as clean as possible. Since figuring out that, shedding those pounds has pretty much become easy, a habit almost.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Patience.

Forgot that one ^^that is a good one (and sometimes the hardest)
  • KSoto2014
    KSoto2014 Posts: 22
    Options
    I struggle with patience. :/
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The thing that helped me the most was increasing my calories to a point where I was not hungry but was still losing weight. That has allowed me to stay on the program.
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    - eating the serving size
    - regular routine
    - organization
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Having a REASONABLE weight loss goal is my number one. I have never been successful when I had a goal of losing x amount of weight by a specific date.

Other things I did: prioritizing veggies in my diet. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but I definitely eat 3/4 of my meal as veggies. Exercise *DAILY* and ignoring what everyone else says in favor of listening to my body.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not cheating. Maybe cheat days work for some people, but I personally couldnt go a day knowing that I had some leverage without completely going overboard. It was like i would either cheat an entire weekend or not at all. Having smaller goals is helpful too. My goals are 10 - 15 lb at a time. Its nice to hear you've reached your goal, even when you know you still have a little ways to go.
  • KSoto2014
    Options
    Not cheating. Maybe cheat days work for some people, but I personally couldnt go a day knowing that I had some leverage without completely going overboard. It was like i would either cheat an entire weekend or not at all. Having smaller goals is helpful too. My goals are 10 - 15 lb at a time. Its nice to hear you've reached your goal, even when you know you still have a little ways to go.
    Omg! I cannot cheat without going overboard. So cheat days are a no-no for me to. Thanks for sharing :D
  • KSoto2014
    Options
    Having a REASONABLE weight loss goal is my number one. I have never been successful when I had a goal of losing x amount of weight by a specific date.

Other things I did: prioritizing veggies in my diet. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but I definitely eat 3/4 of my meal as veggies. Exercise *DAILY* and ignoring what everyone else says in favor of listening to my body.
    Veggies definetly help alot.
  • KSoto2014
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone!!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Keeping track of everything I eat, eating healthy, and realizing that losing weight is not always a linear process.
  • FMUP
    FMUP Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Counting calories and salt intake daily
    Weighing myself daily--- then I can see that the potato chips I ate, while only 200 calories, had tons of salt & I'm now retaing water (if the scale goes up) - And then that day I will drink more water to rid my body of the salt.
    Eating what I want - While I try to stay on the healthy side of the coin, I do eat cream cheese and bagels, I went on a cruise and had GREAT hamburgers and every now and again, I stop at the store and get a candy bar!

Lost 44 since last March - and want to loose another 25 by September, then another 20 & I will finally have a BMI that isn't overweight - heck I'll be happy when I'm out of the obese category (15 more pounds!):laugh:
  • aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    Options
    1. Keeping track - those little snacks you don't feel like adding really do amount to a big number!
    2. Keeping the right foods in the house, and more importantly, keeping the bad foods out.
    3. Dedication. You can't half-*kitten* weightloss or you'll take years to get it off.
    4. Setting small goals instead of going in with a "50 lbs to lose" goal.
    5. Don't give in to temptation. You'll be tempted to try that buttery pastry, or dig into that handful of candy, but the longer you go without eating those things, the less you crave/want them. Trust me - I don't find brownies or cookies that appealing anymore, and those used to be my go-to desert.
  • KSoto2014
    Options
    1. Keeping track - those little snacks you don't feel like adding really do amount to a big number!
    2. Keeping the right foods in the house, and more importantly, keeping the bad foods out.
    3. Dedication. You can't half-*kitten* weightloss or you'll take years to get it off.
    4. Setting small goals instead of going in with a "50 lbs to lose" goal.
    5. Don't give in to temptation. You'll be tempted to try that buttery pastry, or dig into that handful of candy, but the longer you go without eating those things, the less you crave/want them. Trust me - I don't find brownies or cookies that appealing anymore, and those used to be my go-to desert.
    So true about not craving favorite foods after not having them for a while. I no longer crave pizza after 3 weeks of not eating it.
  • bkciddir
    bkciddir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I craved protein today. ALLLLLL DAYYYYY! Could not stop.
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My two cents.

You don't have to kill yourself in this process. Enjoy each day as it comes. Moderation is the key.

Not all days are the same, but you can try to follow your routine - the one which suits you the best.

Health can't be quantified. Don't bother yourself with numbers too much. You will love your new self ... .and the way you look at the world changes.......... gradually though.

Bottomline - Enjoy your food/workout. You will reach your goal - eventually.