Juicer (non-fasting) tips?

Options
Katychla
Katychla Posts: 23 Member
Hey guys!

I just got my first juicer today and I love it. Then again I also love pretending that I'm some evil doctor sticking veggies in a wood chipper and consuming their power to gain their strength... but I digress...

Anyhow, my plan is to drink 8oz of green juice in the morning and 8 oz at night, right now I'm just kinda mixing a bit of everything but it almost always includes kale and probably apple. I want to try to make the home version of V8 but I'm not QUITE that daring yet.

So! Who here loves their juice? Who has good recipes to share? And I really want to try to turn the pulp into a soup, I think it would be AMAZING (plus getting that fiber back is always yum!) but does anyone have ideas on how? I was thinking of just mixing it with broth and maybe a thickener (little bit of flour or cornstarch I guess, I dunno).

Replies

• CoryCunningam
    Options
    I too love my juicer! I try to juice Kale and spinach though they provide less than a few drops of "juice" to my concoction. Better to just saute up the greens and get the most bang for your buck at dinner time...but I digress
    I love to buy a huge bag of 3.99 whole carrots and juice the heck out of those. I use the carrot juice as a base to add all kinds of other strange things to. I've noticed I get a pleasant buzz from drinking straight micronutrients.
    Here was my yesterday power-juice: 6 carrots and 4 small sweet potatos. I then threw the juice into my blender and carved out an avocado and added some orange juice. It was a tasty, sweet and creamy treat!
    Sometimes I'll blend in frozen pineapple or blueberries to my carrot juice for a fruittier flavor. If you want some serious ZING! try juicing the slightest bit of ginger...be carefull though, it dominates the whole recipe.
  • Katychla
    Options
    Oh sweet potatos! That's a new one. And I was thinking about using an avocado but wasn't sure.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I throw everything in my juicer. Oranges, apples, cucumber, kale, spinach, lemon, beets, carrots, celery, peppers....I really just grab a handful of stuff and drink it. I almost always add an apple/orange though because I like those flavours.
  • Katychla
    Options
    Do you peel your oranges first? I don't peel my lemons, but I like the rind....
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love to juice! Some of my "must have" fruits and vegetables are: spinach, kale, cucumber, celery, apples (green and red), lemons, carrots, broccoli, strawberries, ginger, oranges and sweet potatoes.

I don't have any "recipes", I just toss in whatever I have on hand. I try to keep everything as vegetable based as possible and use apples, carrots, and ginger to sweeten.

My favorite juice to make is green machine juice. A few handfuls on spinach, some kale, a few stalks of celery, a bit of cucumber, a head of broccoli, and a couple green apples....so delicious and it comes out so green that it looks radioactive! It's great!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Do you peel your oranges first? I don't peel my lemons, but I like the rind....

I peel the oranges, and lemon when I use it. I don't have the best juicer, it has a hard time with thick peels like that.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Before I decided our juicer was too annoying to clean on a daily basis (it has like 50 billion parts), I was drinking a lot of homemade juice last summer. My three favorite recipes are these...and yes, I gave them all names :embarassed:

Summer Garden: Watermelon+tomato+kale. The sweetness of the watermelon balances out the kale nicely.

Ginger Red: Apple+raspberry+ginger. Only use a little bit of ginger, otherwise it will overpower everything. This makes a sweet, but slightly tangy, red juice.

Sunrise: Sweet potato+kale+cucumber+apple. This is only slightly sweet, and super refreshing. I also like to add some green tea into this after I juice the veggies & fruits, because I hate drinking straight green tea but the taste goes really well in this juice.