Why can't I just do this?! How did you stick with it???

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My apologies if this has already been covered...(I skimmed the four pages, but didn't see any mention of it)...but what amount of daily calories are you eating? It's possible that you're eating at too large of a deficit and that is causing you to fall off after a couple of days...because you're genuinely hungry.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's not all or nothing. It's not 100% effort all the time. Change your diet gradually and don't cut your calories too low because that will lead to a binge. You are not responsible for your hormonal impulses. The human body does not like change and generally wants to maintain a certain weight. The taste buds do not prefer a 100% change in diet, even if it is healthier. You have to push your body a little bit each day to accept exercise and healthy food. It took me about 6 months for me to feel like my body bounced back after exercise.

Consistency will win the game. This is not a program and there is not an end point. You have thousands upon thousands of days with millions of small choices that will push you closer or further from your body's ideal. Those choices build up slowly. No one day can make or break anything. Be patient. I woke up fat every day for months, despite doing the right things. Then one day I noticed a little less wobble, and then - bam - I look in the mirror and suddenly the tight clothes are hanging from my body.

I used to give up about half way from my goal weight, because suddenly I'd feel as though I had finished and had nothing to worry about. It would take a while to gain the weight back but I always did. The only time losing weight worked was when I kept it as a permanent lifestyle choice. It's as much effort, maybe even more to stay a certain goal weight for years than to lose weight over a few months. But the improved health and vitality make it so worth it.

You have to change these things over months. I gradually changed my diet until fruits and vegetables started to taste different and delicious. I found lower calorie substitutes to replace the stuff I originally ate. I ate more protein and more fiber. I eat less fat and less calorie dense foods so I can enjoy a higher volume of food without going overboard on calories. I eat more on the days that I lift weights so that I will hopefully hang onto lean tissue while still losing fat.

Here are some substitutes that help if you are craving treats and less healthy foods foods:

Soft serve ice cream
    replacement: yonanas banana ice cream (healthy), or skinny cow ice cream snacks (low calorie)

white flour snacks
    replacement: fruit, whole wheat breads sweetened with applesauce or sweet potatoes (healthy), or 100 calorie granola bars with minimal sugar

chocolate
    chocolate is good for you, empty sugar and grease are not - replacement: cocoa powder and truvia on my cereal, black bean cocoa brownies (healthy), or 100 calorie fiber one brownie bars,
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    One biggie? Don't beat yourself up! Move on and keep going--you aren't starting over you are continuing a journey. You know what? 2 days on and 1 day off isn't a bad start. When you get to 3 days on, well then, congratulate yourself. It make take a while to lose weight this way but the other choice is losing no weight at all!

Also, make sure your diet isn't too extreme to follow. If I'm insanely hungry I change something up. Emotional eating happens too so you definitely need to work on your emotional health. Are you depressed enough to need medication? It's complicated, this being healthy thing.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    People make this more complicated than it needs to be. Let's be empirical. Eat food which calorically is above you BMR and less than your maximum TDEE. Accurate do this overtime. Done.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    You have to want it more than anything. You have to eat, sleep, and breathe it. Get up everyday, do the work and push yourself to points where you are uncomfortable. Work your butt off at the gym. Cardio and strength training go hand and hand. They compliment each other nicely.

Then you go home and constantly research it, educate yourself, make friends with others going through the same thing. Learn the ropes.

Don't expect immediate results. You will just set yourself up for failure. Be hard on yourself but be fair. Experiment. What works for some might not work for you. Find something that not only works for you, but you know you can follow. You don't have to go all hardcore at first, but as time progresses, ramp it up.

Develop a game plan and stick to it! Plan your meals, shop accordingly, get rid of all the crap and don't even purchase it. Make a list, prepare your meals, count your calories, drink plenty of liquids, get proper rest, cut as much stress out of your life as possible.

Make weight loss your BIGGEST priority. Set small but achievable goals for yourself. Hit those goals and build upon them. Push aside anyone who does not support you. It is not just a diet. It is a WAY OF LIFE. Until a person can accept that, it is going to be a long hard road.

There are no tricks. It's all heart and dedication.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar hole right now, my friend. I've had an horrific year or two, emotionally speaking, and although I do not suffer from depression (so far as I am aware) I do seem to suffer from a severe lack of drive and motivation. I think when you're this down it's hard to get up again, and it's a catch-22 to hate what you see in the mirror because it reinforces your negative behaviours (if you're a comfort eater like me, anyhow).

The annoying part is that I've done it all before. I started eating right and exercising and BAM, there went ten kilos. It turns out that it's all about calories in/calories out. That was about four or five years ago now, and the weight stayed off for the first three years as I kept up a healthy lifestyle but as I said, the last two have been murder. Lots of travel, working very long hours in a negative situation and lots of bad, bad stuff happening in my personal life. I do well for a few days and then suddenly binge eat, probably to avoid dealing with the complex and painful emotions inside, and then from there it's a slippery, uncaring slope that's labelled "I'll start again on Monday".

I know it probably doesn't help much for people to say "just do it". Or that you have to "want it". Because if you're anything like me you want it so bad that it just overwhelms you and makes you freeze, which means you can't just do it at all. But educating yourself helps. And finding a reason to do it that you can remind yourself of every time you waver helps. Which is hard when you've never seen what you can achieve, but it's worth trying to have a picture of you and the life you will lead in your head.

What also helps for me is to just not have temptation in the house; to have a fridge that contains lots of healthy options so you have no reason to get take-away food, and so that at least if you do over-eat then it won't be empty calories; and, if this is a long-term problem you've had, seek counselling. I started a couple of months ago and it took a while before anything changed. But one thing sunk in recently - he said "be kind to yourself". So every time I was faced with a decision where one option was "good" and one was "bad", I said "be kind to yourself" and made the "right" choice. Stairs over escalator. Apple over donut. Soda water over wine. If your local supermarket is laid out anything like mine, it is possible to visit only the vegetables, meat and dairy without venturing into the aisles that house the confectionary, chips or chocolate-coated biscuits.

Also, if cooking is not your strong point, learn. I've noticed from a lot of diaries on here that people eat heaps of pre-prepared, processed foods instead of buying a scale and measuring cups and and learning what a portion size looks like. If you don't already know how, learn to steam vegetables and grill lean meat. You can cook a healthy, tasty meal in ten minutes, start to finish. Read fitness-focused cook books and discover how quick and easy it can be to cook healthful food and how to use herbs and spices to your advantage. I know from last time that once you develop a taste for the healthy stuff, deep fried and over-sweetened things actually make you feel really gross to eat and the healthy stuff actually gives you this "light", "clean" feeling.

Good luck and if you need support feel free to add me :)
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Seriously just focus on exercising for a few weeks. Go 4 or 5 times a week. It should help your depression somewhat. Then, when you're in a better place, change your diet.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else, but I do love food that is bad for me just as much as the next person. Pizza is my weakness, and I have a serious sweet tooth (especially chocolate, especially at that TOM). BUT....the way I feel AFTER I eat that food has started to not be worth as much as the feeling of not eating it. I feel SO much better when I eat healthy and exercise, and when I am faced with temptation, I need to tell myself that the taste of what I am craving is so temporary, versus how bad I will feel for hours after I indulge. Personally, healthy eating is so much more fulfilling to me - I have more energy, I feel cleaner, lighter and less bloated and heavy. I've always had a sensitive stomach, so maybe that is what helps me, because I know I will be uncomfortable after I eat a lot of things that are bad for me. For people who don't have any digestive/stomach issues, and bad food does not affect them in a negative way, I'd assume it would be a bit harder to take this perspective!!

Another way to look at it is that food should not be something we reward or punish ourselves with. Tonight at a work party for a coworker, I was not indulging in the pizza, cookies, cakes, etc, and my coworkers couldn't stop questioning me as to why I wasn't eating. (I work overnights in a hospital, the idea of splurging on pizza in my scrubs outside a hospital room doesn't appeal, lol) If I am going to splurge, it is not going to be every day. It's easier to stick to healthy eating if you can figure out how to do moderation. I won't have pizza tonight so I can maybe have a glass of wine or some dessert tomorrow night, when I'm enjoying the weekend with loved ones. I don't feel like I am "missing out" when I don't eat bad food, but I think a lot of people have that mentality, which is what makes it hard to stick. Seeing it as a lifestyle change and not a diet also helps. If you adopt a healthy lifestyle but realize the importance of still enjoying what you love in moderation, you will feel happier and less deprived! There is a time and a place to splurge, and resisting the urging of others (whom a lot of times are overweight themselves), is definitely a challenge, but it does end up making you feel stronger every time you fight the temptation!

Find healthy alternatives to the things you like. I like to take things I love (pizza, etc) and find ways to satisfy my craving in healthier ways. It's fun, and you may discover some new things you didn't even think of!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    to be really honest, you can eat like crap and lose weight, but you have to be willing to exercise it off. I like pizza, candy, etc- but I really plan my diary to fit it in. I have also figured out how long it takes me to burn a specific amount of calories, so there are many times when I think "do I really want this food bad enough to go around the lake 3 times?" If I do, I eat it...and then go around the lake. It really comes down to how bad you want it, what you are willing to do to get it, and if there are other reasons you are stopping yourself (emotional eating, physical ailments). I like food, and I am willing to walk 6+ miles a day to eat what I want.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Throw your trigger foods out of the house. ;^) If I want ice cream, I have to go out and get it. And then I go to the frozen yogurt place instead.

Or eat what you want, but stay within your goal limit. Write down everything when you eat it, and that will let your head know where you're at. There's a phone app, so no excuses. Write it down NOW while you're eating it.

Or if you overeat, go take a walk or run and burn off those calories.

Or go by your weekly totals and not daily, so you don't stress out if you overeat one day. That's what my hubby does.

Or work out like crazy and burn baby burn. Burn off any excess and eat whatever you like.

Lots of strategies, but first -- stop beating yourself up over it. That's just another excuse.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The harsh reality is: you just have to do it, no matter how you feel about it. You're not always gonna feel excited, you're now always going to feel motivated, in fact, it will sometimes downright feel like you aren't doing the right thing. But, making decisions based on how you feel is what got you in the predicament you are in to begin with. You have to make a decision to do the right thing and stick with it, even if you don't feel like it, even if you mess up 54364343433543436 times, even if it doesn't feel right.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same, great and on track for a short while then off the rails I go!!:embarassed:

I am trying to make myself do more exercise, I really need to move more!!
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Give that voice in your head that says mean things to you and plays devil's advocate when you're looking at food a name. Name it whatever you want. And then, when it tells you things like "Why bother? You can't do this." or "This is a waste of time!" blah blah blah, call it by it's name and tell it to SHUT UP.

Believe it or not, this actually works. Mine's name is "Gypsy" and I started doing this years ago. Believe it or not, I don't hear from Gypsy anymore! You have to train your mind to stop creating obstacles for you through self doubt and criticism. You CAN do this. You CAN. Anyone can absolutely make it through this and reach the goals they are after! Don't give up. Just keep pushing and telling yourself you're awesome, you're on fire! You're doing it! You can kick this thing in the *kitten*! Whatever you need to hear. And tell the mean little voice to shut it down!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You'll have to overcome the emotional before you can get over the hump.
    If you eat out of emotional reaction every single time, you'll likely always end up at the same starting point.
    If food is always the crutch, you'll continue to let it be so.

Replace food with something else.

This sounds about right. Whatever it is you want to do in your life, it's all about attitude and priorities. You have to determine if a healthy lifestyle is a priority. You have to want it more than you want the alternative. Sometimes people just aren't ready. When you're ready to make the change you'll do it!

Maybe I'm not a good one for advice on this, since I've always had a healthy relationship with food and when I set my mind to something I have excellent self-control. Losing weight and maintaining (I've maintained for over 2 years) has not been difficult for me at all. That may be because I have other outlets for stress. Instead of eating my feelings, I find exercise (especially running) to be very therapeutic. As a bonus, it helps me with my health goals. Find a physical activity that you enjoy so you'll stick with it and then just go for it whenever you start feeling stressed. You might also want to look into hypnotherapy to help you reset your attitude and get yourself moving in the right direction. Some people find it helpful.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say to only change one or two things at a time. If you make big sweeping changes it could be overwhelming. Start with committing to exercising a doable amount a week (:30 EOD? 3 hours per week? Whatever you honestly think you can stick with) and set it up with a friend or take a class so you will "have to" go. (I made myself limit Netflix viewing to only while riding the stationary bike. If I wanted to watch, I had to ride.) After you've spent 21 days or so doing that, cut out a troublesome food or food category. Do that for awhile before changing anything else.

Good luck! Things will improve, I promise.
  • nick1569000
    Options
    that's exactly i feeling in the start.... then i start the Running.... ALL my friends mocking me... my best ally is my MP3 player, every time i want to eat something wrong, i walk for 10 minutes and think how will affect me.

if you fix a standard running/walking plan/program after this is easy to think the consequences and to eat the best for you
  • lindaland1
    lindaland1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One thing that always works for me and has kept me on track is I have a "free day" once a week. On that day I can eat whatever I want WITHOUT GUILT!!! This allows me to deal with cravings during the rest of the week. If I have a craving I just decide that's what I will have on my free day. The good thing is, usually by then, I have changed my mind!! LOL One day will not ruin your whole week, and it allows you to plan the day. Sure when I first started, my free day was filled with candy & fast food. And then I felt bloated and sluggish the next day. :noway: After a few weeks I found myself giving most of the candy & fast food!! I have been loosing weight consistently and I never feel like I am deprived because I really can have anything I want. :happy:

Also I exercise most days. I can not jog due to joint disease, however I am using a recumbent bike and can easily do it while I watch TV. And on nice days I get out and walk my dog, the fresh air and sunshine is a great mood enhancer. Just moving somehow will make you feel so much better. Exercise also helps keep me motivated during the week and get me to my free day!!

Good luck!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Takes 12 weeks to develop a habit that you will stick with. THAT is what you need to aim for....12 weeks. Workout every day, eat good every day....it's ONLY 12 weeks. Tell yourself it's ONLY 12 weeks. You can do it, you WILL o it. It's only 12 weeks after all. Anyone can do that right?

Dont have a cheat day, dont have a day off.

12 weeks.

Trust me...... 12 weeks is nothing when you think about it. 3 months is a very short time. It's a season. Nothing. Pffft. Easy.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I am so disgusted with my body and hate how I look yet I seem to be doing everything wrong!!!! I eat good for 2 days and then it all goes to crap!! So depressed and broken. What is the secret?? What is the trick?!?!
    The secret is there is no secret or trick. All we have is persistence.
  • MrsGreenTea703
    MrsGreenTea703 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Chasidy and I have been on my journey to a healthier me since August 2011. I'm very proud of myself and how far I've come. I am determined to reach my goals because it's what I want. In my opinion the secret to "weight loss" is the want to lose weight, but ACTUALLY wanting to do it. Wanting it to the point of sweat and tears. Wanting it so badly that you know nothing else is an option. That feeling of want is called determination. You know deep down that you are determined to do whatever it takes to get yourself the one thing you want the most. If losing weight is something that you want, you will do it! You have to stay dedicated everyday, one day at a time. It's so worth it! When I workout and eat healthy, I feel more alive and focused. I want everyone to know that you can succeed if you just believe! You have to change your mind before you can change your body. Meaning that you cannot let the negative voice inside your head win. You have to IGNORE the voice or CHANGE it! Tell yourself you CAN and WILL do everything in your power to make this change forever because you deserve so much happiness. This is a kind of happiness I could never of imagined and I wish the world could experience it. Enjoy the transformation and watch your body change one day at a time with your hard work and determination! If I can change my life, you can change yours! I have never said this was easy because it's hard work! But I promise you it's worth it! YOU ARE WORTH IT! YOU TOO CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE, ONE DAY AT A TIME! I believe in you!