LOW CARB...HOW LOW IS "TOO LOW"?

Options
My partner is following a very, very low carb diet (and I'm talking like 10g and under per DAY). I don't think this is very healthy. She's getting a lot of fat and protein in her diet. How low is too low? I'm very worried.

Replies

• rachypalmer
    rachypalmer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing a low carb diet. The induction phase on atkins diet is less than 20g carbs a day, i try to stay around 10g or less. Its safe but a hard diet! Looking forward to my next cheat day, am starving! The induction phase is meant to be only 2 weeks but most people usually stay on it til they loose the weight they want to and then go to maintanance phase where you gradually increase the carbs daily:smile:
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing a low carb diet. The induction phase on atkins diet is less than 20g carbs a day, i try to stay around 10g or less. Its safe but a hard diet! Looking forward to my next cheat day, am starving! The induction phase is meant to be only 2 weeks but most people usually stay on it til they loose the weight they want to and then go to maintanance phase where you gradually increase the carbs daily:smile:

"hard" and "diet" are why this won't be long term. You should strive to be living a healthy lifestyle - something you can do forever basically.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a keto/atkins style. Exactly what I am doing right now actually.. and I love it.

There are some great benefits to it =) I don't think its really a diet though.. It's more of a lifestyle change. I know people who have been doing it for years and see fantastic results.

Can be a little tough at times, but generally speaking, I find I have the most success when I restrict the amount of carbs/starches I am eating
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't know how low is too low. I couldn't do it though. I just looked at my breakfast and had 59g of carbs without even having any bread. Carbs are good for you as long as you eat the right kind
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    That wouldn't work for me at all.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I find that when I stick to meat (mostly fish) and vegetables (cooked at dinner time, raw throughout the day), I get lower carb days. I actually feel better when I don't have the carbs too high. That said, I don't go as low as 10g. I think that, as long as you are healthy, then high protein, low carb is okay, but I am not a doctor. Maybe you could go on the Dr. Oz website and ask this question.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I'm on a DR ordered low carb diet and I stil get around 90-150 grams of carbs a day. They come from Fruit, Vegetabels and some very whole gluiten free grains. (I'm also guiten free). 10g of carbs a day does sound really extreem.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

"hard" and "diet" are why this won't be long term. You should strive to be living a healthy lifestyle - something you can do forever basically.

Some people do better with the boost that a short-term diet gives them. They see some progress and then they maintain it.
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My stepmom had my sister and I do Atkins when she went on it. Honestly I did so much better on Atkins - energy, less fatigue, and (the best part!) weight loss.

I'd say it depends on what works. Some people can't handle carbs well, some need more than others. As long as she's feeling well, and gets enough nutrients from elsewhere (greens, vitamins), then she should be okay.
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    omg i cant do that i love carbs!!!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Im hypoglycemic-i get really sick if i maintain less than 80g/dat for too long.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Well, this is a somewhat complicated topic. I personally follow a "lower carb" diet and never go below 60 grams of carbohydrates. I still get the advantage of appetite control that one gets with a very low carbohydrate diet but not so low that it crushes the appetite (which is what I found that a very low carbohydrate did to me--and I got pretty sick from the resulting undereating). I generally eat lower amounts of carbohydrate on my rest days and then up the amount on my cardio days (to about 120 grams) and a little on my resistance training days (I generally come in around 80-90 grams). The reason why I don't ever go below 60 grams is because that is the threshold of ketosis and I don't think that is a good choice because of the muscle wastage that I personally have experienced on a very low carbohydrate diet. I lost a lot of fat but I lost a lot of muscle mass as well, and ended up regaining all that I had lost plus more. I do not eat sugar and wheat and eat very little of other types of grain preferring to get my carbohydrates from starchy vegetables instead (on my cardio days). When I do eat grain it is usually either 100% whole organic sourdough rye bread, or a bowl of steel cut oats. I quite enjoy my current plan and it is very sustainable. Most people who look at my food diary think it is great and healthy. I should be able to up my portions slightly and maintain when the time comes. I know from experience that it is VERY difficult for me to keep up an exercise program on a very low carbohydrate diet. I used to fight exhaustion constantly. Part of that, I think is because I lost a lot of mineral wealth from not eating enough fruits and vegetables. I have corrected that with this diet. I still don't eat a lot of fruit but I do eat a LOT of vegetables. I always eat at least one serving of fruit per day.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    if it makes them feel good, it's not too low. Every individual is different. Personally I try not to go below 25g carb/daily cuz it messes with my thryoid over time. If you're really very concerned, encourage them to do a carb refeed day where they eat up to 100g carb (but not junk carbs-- good carbs like fruits & veggies, and maybe 1 special treat)
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I followed Atkins guidelines (but not the diet) for about 1 year and successfully lost 50 lbs. Although low carb means high fat, I only ate baked turkey and fish and many times cured raw salmon with kosher salt and splenda, (sashimi). The rest of the carbs came from raw veggies and fruits. My carb intake was around 40 grams.

Once I lost weight, I slowly began introducing carbs (fruit) back into the diet. Currently I am on raw veggie and fruit diet with only 10% of animal protein
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If your partner is following that low of a diet by choice, just help them make sure to get TONS of fluids to keep the kidneys functioning. That is the main concern I've heard from the health classes I've been through. When carbs fall really low, and ketosis sets in, the kidneys sometimes have trouble. I've never seen or heard of a bottom number to NOT go below, just the warning about fluids, ketosis and the kidneys.
  • Brassteacher
    Options
    Carbs are actually a non essential nutrient. You learn that in Nutrition 101. If it were possible, you could eat zero carb indefinitely with zero health effects. Your friend is probably fine. Veggies and fruits do have a lot of useful micronutrients, so in the long run, low carb is better than zero carb.
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he is trying to put his body into Ketosis. Like others said Carbs are non essential. As long as he is Hitting his protein and fat macros then he is fine.
  • firstloveyourself
    firstloveyourself Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Starting out super low on your carbs is a good idea. Most low-carb diets start SUPER low, to shock your system into not wanting/needing carbs as much. I'm following a sort-of South Beach diet, where the focus isn't only on low carbs but also on good choices and healthy eating. I think if you're following a low-carb diet, that's the best kind to do. I would suggest having her add in 5 to 10 carbs a week, and when she stops losing weight decrease back to a level where she is losing again.
  • heidiyf
    heidiyf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest concern wouldn't be the low carb aspect of it, but making sure she is getting enough potassium. Generally, there isn't a whole lot of potassium in meat. Also she should be sure to deduct fiber from her carb count. Vegetables are a good way to get potassium and they have some carbs. I think getting 10 grams or less a day would be difficult but maybe not impossible, if you are eating plenty of veggies. Low potassium can be very serious.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he is trying to put his body into Ketosis. Like others said Carbs are non essential. As long as he is Hitting his protein and fat macros then he is fine.

Yes, going very low carb and low fat at the same time will hurt you. I think that is what gets some very low carb dieters in trouble. They cut both carbs and fat. You cannot go low fat and very low carb at the same time it seems.